I love subbing but.....

>

Lisa Mc

Lisa Mc

I love subbing but.....
Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I might quit.

Here is some background.... I am currently a certified teacher who has not found a job since graduation. The parents are very receptive to me. Teachers at my school now come and ask me to sub prior to taking off. I am constantly being moved to the "bad" classes because I can handle them. The office schedules me weeks in advance and it is not unusual for me to have every day of the month booked ahead. This is a very large school. There are four or five classrooms per grade.

We have a new principal this year. He is constantly overlooking me for positions. Two full time and one part time aide position. I'm have been so depressed this year. It helps being in the classroom with the students teaching. I love it! I cannot continue subbing at this school if the principal does not respect me. (or that is how I feel) The office knows I'm might not be coming back so the secretaries have spread the word. Today I had at least 15 teachers ask me not to leave. They keep telling me to hang on. I just thank them and move on. I spoke to the lead teacher in the primary wing. My question was am I only good enough to be a sub? She told me there was no reason for me not to be teaching. She also told me it would be a loss for me to stop teaching. Again I was told to hang on and that I was not forgotten.

But I am forgotten. I feel overlooked. Not only do I sub but I volunteer for extra events at the school. Fall festivals, family nights, book fairs, etc. I also take my 45 minute prep time to go help a special needs child who does not have an aid every day! Not only because I'm trying to land a job, but this child needs me and he has improved. I try to do everything right and I have given this school 100% because I love these children!

The school will hire two new teachers this fall. If I don't get a job should I continue to sub? I am feeling very defeated. This is what we were told to do in college to get the job. I now feel like I have made myself to valuable as a sub to be hired full time. Maybe I should just go back to banking.. ugh

OGSubbie

OGSubbie

Old 05-21-2013, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a similar year, but towards around March I said no more. I was always the only sub in the building who was professional. I never in my life have come to work in jeans or sweats, which is sub attire around here, in any job I've had. Many times I'm the only sub actually certified to teach. When there is a building sub job, it goes to someone else with a familiar friend or last name. In a way, I'm glad because one school was trying to make me building sub and they would give me one class and wait until morning prep (the school had morning and afternoon preps) and switch me to a bad one. A few times, I was actually switched two times so I would miss both. I stopped getting calls from them when I said "I can't come here any more if you take my preps". Admin: You don't need a prep. Me: When am I allowed to go to the bathroom?! It would annoy me more that the subs getting easy jobs were all relations and NONE of them were certified or even professional. My last straw was I know a teacher who literally beat me out of a job in another school. She is terrible. Contract time is coming up. She is not tenured and no one is looking to push her out. It was so funny September to April, she was terrible and a mess. Now, she's so great. I know nothing has changed. I took one job and was switched to her room which was a mess, no plans, emergency stuff from former teacher, and the resource teacher said the students act worse when she's there. This could be my job, but because I am a sub I'm dirt.

Don't give extra as a sub, because that is all you're thought of as. Furthermore, if you show up on time, dress neatly, and actually try you're still doing better than the type the sub pay attracts.

Mercury

Don't Assume
Old 05-21-2013, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That the principal knows you are a certified teacher.

Don't assume that the principal knows you are interested in a full-time teaching job or aide job.

In my district, which is also a large district, the principals do not personally see the resumes of substitutes or otherwise are privy to our education and work experience. That all goes through the district's human resources department.

Have you actually talked to the principal and explained your credentials and that you want to get hired on?

Have you actually applied for any of these jobs that are available?

How did you get your job as a substitute? Surely it was not by going to a school and hanging about until they asked you to sub? No. The steps to get hired on as a teacher are similar.

Go to your district's website. They likely have all open positions on the site viewable to current employees (if not to everyone). Check it out and submit an application to whatever job you're interested in. Then give the principal a head's up - I applied for the open grade 2 position, then give him a quick spiel (less than 30 seconds) of your education and experience. Ask the other teachers, you know the ones begging you not to leave, to put in a good word for you and act as references for you.

Last edited by Mercury; 05-22-2013 at 03:07 AM..
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Lisa Mc

Lisa Mc

Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the advice. Currently I am the only certified teacher sub on the list for this school. He has my resume and interviewed me for the last two positions. (The teachers he hired had just a little more education.) He knows all this and my reputation for classroom management. He is the one who moves me to the challenging classes. The other three candidates for the last job subbed too. The worst sub was hired for the classroom. She is always late. This is my thrid year subbing here. I have busted my rear and done everything right. I have teachers and staff pulling for me. I have made myself available and volunteered. Now I worry I have made myself to valuable as a sub to be replaced. I am really becoming down and depressed. They keep telling me to hang on but I'm sitting on the fence. If he hires another teacher instead of me, how will I ever hold my head up?
Lisa Mc

Lisa Mc

Old 05-21-2013, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

OGSubbie .....The sub that was hired instead of me is always late. She does her own thing. He likes to brag about how wonderful his choice was. The other subs get the easy days. Some of the teachers do not leave me lessons plans because I know the curriculum and can keep them on task. I always get the challenging classes and I am worn out. Some days I don't even have a restroom break. Some of the other subs sit in the lounge during prep time and talk but not me. (I honestly do not mind helping the child I help on prep.) Sometimes it would be nice to go get a glass of tea and sit in silence just for a few minutes. You are right. The other subs come in with jeans and tshirts. I come in with heels and dressed professionally. Ugh Sounds like you understand....

OGSubbie

OGSubbie

Old 05-21-2013, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I live on the Northern East coast. I think in some areas, not where I live or you live, it seems like if you sub you WILL get a job. That's not the case every where. I got tired of expecting above and beyond for less than a 100 dollars a day. I'm a college educated person. If you want me to be superwoman, you should give me the full time job. I hate to say this, because it's hurtful, but I have to because it is true. No one really cares about subs. The minute they have to do something for you (even a bathroom break you're legally entitled to) they find someone else's number. I remember I said on here we should make it so, because there so many qualified teachers without jobs or who never got a full time teaching job, where subs get the same pay and rights as a first year teacher. However, the sub pool would be smaller, because it would be less people working 180 a year. I can't forget the NASTY comments I got from people on here. If this how "we" view subs, it's not a shock those in command NEED for it to stay the way it is. 'OG and Lisa want rights? Ok, call the next unprofessional person...."

I think you should stick out the year. If you want a break, take one. It is sad this child needs help. What the teacher doing? They get paid more than you. What is the parent doing? They should care more than you. I was never one to sit around and do nothing, in other jobs I had too, but now I do. If he hires another sub, don't go back. You are putting up with it. When someone calls from there for a subjob, ask to speak to the P. Say this, because it is polite and professional, "I came to your school dressed professionally, I gave you time that wasn't on the clock, and I tutored a child no one else would help. You give others full time work who are not professional and show up late. I don't feel welcome in YOUR school". Hear if has something to say and say "I wish you well in the future" (even though you won't) and hang up.

Mercury

Then Leave
Old 05-22-2013, 03:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I hear you, and you should leave. Do what's best for you! The principal is not losing any sleep over not hiring you, so why should you stress over making a move to a better environment. It truly sounds like he has no intention to hire you, so move on.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Lisa Mc

Lisa Mc

Old 05-22-2013, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think the fact that I do not belong is what is bothering me most. (That and the fact I have no benefits, no vacation, no sick days.) They want someone with a bachelors degree to do this job for nothing. When I worked at the bank we had special days and get togethers. We always made sure our floaters and sub tellers were included. Most of the teachers try to include me but sometimes I feel like I don't belong. I can't explain it but I just feel left out even though I have subbed practically every day in this school. So today the word has spread I am definitely leaving. I had a teacher tell me that subs (good subs) are very hard to find. A certified teacher is a dime a dozen. The last job posting had 75 teachers apply. Our janitors get paid more than we do and are included. It's sad that the school boards do not recognize this is the reason subs don't stick around. It's sad because the actual job I love. I love being in the classroom. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

BTW, the child I am helping will not have an aide again next year.

Prairiegirl

Old 05-23-2013, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Lisa, I was in a similar situation and I did leave that school. Best thing I ever did for myself. I am still subbing, but in a large district which does not appear to hire subs or aides. I go in, do my job well, and leave with no politics, no drama, no hurt feelings. And I keep looking for a more meaningful job elsewhere!!
Prairiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote