Help

Substitute Teachers

Sleep Deprived and Subbing

>

OK4NOW

Sleep Deprived and Subbing
Old 05-27-2013, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I think the not knowing what I am doing everyday in subbing made me sleep deprived. I had really bad insomnia this year. My husband who doesn't sub always says the just going there, doing a job, with "no commitment" so to speak how can that be so "stressful". But I can tell it wore me down this year. I slept pretty much all day Saturday and Sunday except for church and feel like a new person today.

Hooray for summer break. I am looking for different jobs this summer. Will see.

OK4NOW is offline   Reply With Quote

NewbieTeach13

Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know what you mean. It's tough going into a new classroom everyday. New students, new classroom rules. It's even tougher if you sub in schools you aren't familiar with. It does get easier once you build a relationship in a school. I'm looking forward to getting my own teaching job for next school year. Hopefully I will have my last sub job this Friday!
NewbieTeach13 is offline   Reply With Quote

OK4NOW

Old 05-27-2013, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for relating. I feel like I feel like "myself" for the 1st time since August. I told myself today this is no way to live. On top of it I made less than $10,000 last year with no benefits or retirement and I graduated college in 1997 and fully certified until 2017.

cannohara

I hear ya
Old 05-27-2013, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I subbed at different schools for the first year (2011/2012), and accepted last-minute morning assignments. Not any more.

I have chosen to only sub at my favorite school and my stress level has dropped tremendously. My salary has dropped because of this, but it was worth it for me.

Good luck to you!
cannohara is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I have trouble sleeping
Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

the night before subbing at a new school or even for a new teacher sometimes. I do better picking up jobs in the early morning, now knowing somehow helps me sleep.

I've always had trouble sleeping the night before the first day of school--and subbing in new places is an ongoing first day of school.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 05-28-2013, 04:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm feeling very tired today after a relaxing 4 day weekend. I have noticed that my stress level is lower now that I only work in schools that make me feel comfortable. I find this to be the case in the larger schools. In the smaller elementary schools, principals are always checking on me and I sense that I am always being watched (even after working in them sporadically during the past 5 years) making me feel uneasy. Also teachers in the smaller schools are more clicky and not so pleasant towards subs. I still work all grade levels (3rd and up), but in the larger schools. My salary has not gone down because I have noticed that if I leave a job alone with schools I'd rather avoid, soon enough another job will appear in a better school.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

OK4NOW

Old 05-28-2013, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for the replies. It is greatly appreciated.

Dougie

Old 05-28-2013, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I did what cannahora did. Only working 3times a week now but it's at my former High school which is a good one. I also do a lot of AP and IB classes. Super easy and low stress. If you are making a subs pay,you should rarely be stressed out. If you are stressed out then a career change may be needed. I'm not saying substituting is not stressful, I'm saying that if you are stressed out doing it, it's not worth it.

Stress causes cancer and subbing is not more precious than life itself.
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote