Help

Substitute Teachers

"It's because you have a sub"

>

Jule

"It's because you have a sub"
Old 05-19-2013, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It irks me when other teachers say this if a class is misbehaving.
Of Friday, someone saw a roach in my class and they "overreacted". It was very brief. We killed the bugger and we were settling down and I had every intention of discussing this behavior with them, and another teacher walks in and starts lecturing them about their behavior, and ends with, I know it's because you have a sub.

Jule is offline   Reply With Quote

momandsub

Old 05-19-2013, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If it makes u feel any better I got that from a parent on Friday, whatever.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Smilingsub

Old 05-19-2013, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Once all the second grade teachers were at a workshop in the afternoon and there were 4 of us subs who had to dismiss the classes at the same exit. Believe it or not, a parent made a crack about what a disaster dismissal was going to be because subs were dismissing them. She said it in front of all four of us.
Smilingsub is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 05-19-2013, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am sure they would act the same way in that situation if their regular teacher was there. In many cases, classes with "good teachers" behave well for the sub too. I know this because some kids seem to act horribly in certain classes and the same kids behave better in others.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherinWA

Me Too!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So I wonder what it means when a "regular" teacher has a class that misbehaves? What would that teacher say then?

teacherinWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Eh, it's the truth
Old 05-22-2013, 03:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Kids do act up when there is a sub. That is not a reflection on you, it's a reflection primarily on the kids and then on their regular teachers.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

wishfulideas

@Mercury's
Old 05-22-2013, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree, but I also have to say I think it's a really bad idea for teachers, parents, or staff to say, "It's because you have a sub", it seems almost like their excusing their behavior. I've also found it to be far more difficult to manage a class when someone else comes in and disciplines a class "for" the sub. It just has this added "other-ing" effect, where the students get an extra dose of the sub isn't the regular teacher. I've had classes where the students were pretty awesome one day with me, and then the next time I came in and the teacher kept popping up, they just ceased to care what I had to say because they were waiting for their "real" teacher to come in an discipline them.

I don't really blame the teachers though. I know most of them really are trying to help and trying to keep the students with consistent expectations. I just think a more helpful and effective way to help, would be to come in quietly and begin asking the students they see off task, what they're supposed to be doing. Of course, if they students don't know what they're supposed to be doing, then ask the sub to remind them. This way they don't other the sub, they still get the students back to work, and they don't take power from the sub. They show the students that they must rely on the sub to see what they're supposed to be doing and that the sub holds the information they need to be good students.
wishfulideas is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

subs and behavior
Old 05-22-2013, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I learned a huge and helpful lesson my last year in the classroom. I was team teaching and when my team partner had a sub, our first graders behaved very differently. That was when there was only a partial "newness" in the room. Many students are different with a sub then with their regular teacher. I think its the change in their routines and sometimes they feel their actions won't have consequences. That idea changes quickly!
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Daffodil

Old 05-26-2013, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Nothing, her mom works there!
Daffodil is offline   Reply With Quote

pkennedy1990

Old 06-08-2013, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've found that a "regular" teacher HAS to discipline the class "for" a sub. They're sure as hell not going to listen to ME, and most of the time I can't even make myself heard over them.

And furthermore, as Native American, I find it's ALWAYS a White teacher who has to come in and "settle them down" "for" me. Further insult. It's like, "I went to Cornell and Yale for this?!?!.....because NOTHING ELSE is hiring because I went there "so long ago""?!?!

pkennedy1990 is offline   Reply With Quote