Help

Substitute Teachers

Teacher Expects 50 copies made morning of

>

NJSubteacher

Teacher Expects 50 copies made morning of
Old 06-07-2013, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I come into work today for High School Art and notice that there are no plans or rosters on the teacher's desk, even though this was a job I accepted over 2 weeks ago! So, I go to the main office and ask if I can use a computer to print out the teacher's roster and see if there are any plans left on Aesop (I don't have a computer/printer at home). The secretary DID agree to do it for me, but looked very flustered and angry that she had to go out of her way and do this. She never verbally said anything negative to me. However, supposedly she had to make 50 copies of a puzzle worksheet for all the students (under her "emergency plans" attachment). Why would the teacher NOT have these copies ready on her desk for a planned absence 2 weeks ago?? It just doesn't make any sense to me how stupid some teachers can be and expect us to print out 50 copies at home I'm assuming. Sorry.......even if I had a computer with a printer, I would not waste my ink on substitute work. That's the teacher's job!! Has anyone else had problems with having to make last minute copies that the teacher neglected to make for a planned absence?? I almost feel like making a comment on AESOP about it, but can't figure out a polite/professional way to put it. So, I may just take a deep breath, and let it be. I have the copies now........so problem solved.

NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 06-07-2013, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Update.........I decided to just to politely tell her on the AESOP feedback that the secretary in the office was nice enough to assist me with the copies since I couldn't locate any work on in your classroom.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

texteach55

Old 06-07-2013, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I feel certain the secretary was annoyed with the teacher not with you. I can't explain why a teacher wouldn't prepare for a sub if she knew she was going to be out. Could her plans have been moved by someone? That happened to me once. The custodian decided to scrub my table and rearranged everything I had laid out for my sub.
texteach55 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-07-2013, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There are times when something happens even when you had something else planned. My guess is that this teacher had something unexpected occur and decided to go with the er sub plans at the last minute. They were probably pretty happy they had a sub already lined up.

No one would expect a sub to make the copies at home, I am sure. I wouldn't even make 50 copies from my home myself.

I could never make sub plans 2 weeks in advance. I can generalize plans a couple of days in advance, but normally have to make adjustments anyway due to unforeseen things (assemblies, absences, kids not making progress...)
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Dougie

Old 06-07-2013, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The 4 or 5 High school art teachers I sub for are in their own little world.
You never know if you're going to have a lesson plan or not.

If I can't find a plan I make every period a study hall. I tell them you can work on any assignments from this class or any other.

Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

I second Dougie
Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If the teacher doesn't leave a plan, I'm not going to go hunting one down. If it's high school then the kids will just have study hall. K-8 I'll make something up on the fly. For an art class just pass out paper and have them do whatever.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherinWA

as a former HS
Old 06-10-2013, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

art teacher - I would think that she would have everything you need there. Basically a roster and schedule for the day. Most of the time students are already working on something and know what to do.
I will say the most trouble I have ever had subbing has been in MS and HS. Teachers especially in HS seem so unorganized and I often had to run around to be prepared for the day. There are always those last minute times or stuff happens - but that is why you have emergancy sub plans.
Our school required that we have them both in the classroom and office.
teacherinWA is offline   Reply With Quote

momandsub

Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I also agree with Dougie, if there is no plan in HS, study hall it is. In elementary and MS I can always wing it.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote