Help

Substitute Teachers

Nyc Schools Will Have longer school day

>

NJSubteacher

Nyc Schools Will Have longer school day
Old 06-11-2013, 03:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Please read the article in the link below. I personally think this is a horrible idea. I can only imagine what rush hour would be like if they expand it to all the schools. Supposedly a charity program is paying the extra 20 million dollars needed to fund this just for the 20 school pilot program. Can anyone imagine the costs for having all of its schools participate if this becomes expanded?? Also, you wonder if they will pay the subs more for staying another 2.5 hours? Thank goodness I dont work in nyc schools, but it could expand in other places as well. For those subs on here who work in nyc public schools, I would love to hear your input. I also feel bad for the kids who like to play sports or get outside for some fresh air after school. They will no longer be able to participate in EC activities. Here is the news link.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/04/...iddle-schools/

NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

OK4NOW

Old 06-11-2013, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

With afterschool programs and daycare-some kids I know are in school from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. each day. (pre-school and kindergarteners)
OK4NOW is offline   Reply With Quote

Beethechange

Old 06-11-2013, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Does it even matter for subs, teachers will prob fill in those extra spots.
Beethechange is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 06-12-2013, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One of the districts I sub for is starting a week earlier next week in order to give the students an extra week of instruction before the PSSA (state achievement tests) are administered.

When you think about it the state achievement tests basically end a school year since you don't get credit for any learning that happens after kids take them until next year.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

One school in my district
Old 06-13-2013, 10:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

starts teaching the next grade right after the CRTs end in early May. Essentially each grade goes from May until May with summers off. Talk about the tail wagging the dog.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 06-14-2013, 02:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, this is why we will never catch up with China or Japan in education unless we get rid of summer vacation, or maybe have 4 weeks off in the summer rather than 10! I believe there are some states that have school all year round already. California??

ABCs_123s

Old 06-14-2013, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

These people need to take a class in child development and learn how the brain works! Information overload = no retention and kids who hate school thus shut down to learning.
ABCs_123s is offline   Reply With Quote

Smilingsub

Old 06-15-2013, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

NJ Subteacher, I find it curious that you say we'll never catch up with China or Japan. The majority of students that I work with are Chinese. Their families came from China for opportunities and education in the US. If the education system is so great there, why are they flocking here?
Smilingsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Smilingsub

NYC sub here...
Old 06-15-2013, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Since they are running this trial program in the middle schools, and I only sub in elementary, it won't effect me for awhile. I know there are many working parents who would appreciate the extension of the school day since it is not easy to find good afterschool caretakers or programs. I don't feel that extending the school day is conducive to learning, energy levels or to teacher and student morale and I hope someone comes up with a better solution. Unfortunately, I feel the educational system is broken and needs a massive overhaul.

NJSubteacher

Old 06-15-2013, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Here is a good article comparing China's Education and the US?

http://ezinearticles.com/?Comparing-...very&id=550158

Smilingsub

Old 06-15-2013, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I read the article but the points that were made seemed to be that schools in China offer more structure and discipline and that the children who are well behaved are considered to be geniuses. It does not mention that they have longer school days though. I agree that more structure and discipline in many American schools would help but the Chinese methodology for picking out "geniuses" doesn't seem to be sound. While many bright children are well behaved, not all well behaved children are geniuses.

All I know is that most of the children I work with go to after school programs,music programs, and Saturday school. Academically they tend to excel in Math, have difficulty with reading comprehension and writing, and have varying levels of success in other subjects. Many of them struggle to behave in socially acceptable ways since they have minimal social skills since they are in school related programs most of the time and have very little "down" time to interact with others in an enjoyable way.
Smilingsub
Old 06-15-2013, 04:53 PM
This message has been deleted by Smilingsub.

SubMan

Old 06-18-2013, 03:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

California's year round program is not with all schools. The students get longer breaks during the school year and a shorter break during the summer. My cousins went to school in California.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote