Help

Substitute Teachers

please suggest

>

sila

please suggest
Old 06-16-2013, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,I just want to discuss an unfortunate incident happened to me on last week of school.Apology first as the post is little long.I was waiting a bit to post it.I was subbing for my neighborhood school on one Friday.It is my regular school,I go often,no most staff.It is a rich neighborhood,so the school has one 25% rich kids who are always troublemakers.Many incidents including hiding of weapons were reported within two years eventhough it is a middle school.I had a not an easy fourth block class.Two students kept on disturbing the class inspite of all my attempts.I overheard one calling me names and talked to him about consequence if he repeat it.Another student who was disrupting the whole class was asking me about my neighborhood and claiming he knows where my house is(many students in the school are my neighbors).As it was end of year and it is my regular school,I did not wanted to make a fuss about it,I did not report it to the teacher .Saturday morning,I found that my house and car were shelled with eggs.We don't have any direct enemies to think of and we live in a decent location.My doubt went back to the boy who checked with me about my house location.I reported the incident to the police and to the Principal of the school.AP called me on Monday,told me to write referrals to the two boys and assured me that they check all possibilities.I got info. at the end of week from him that they checked with students and parents and could not find any clues.Police told they will increase patroling at night and if it is juvenile crimes,it is better that school deals it.I wind up washing all eggs for two days.My mystery is at the end part.I was checking my payroll and found that the school cancelled my workday for the teacher(s.s.)and it was shown that the same date I worked for a Math class .Ap told me that he will make sure I get paid.But my question is why did they do that.I could not figure it out.That is why I thought I will turn to the forum for getting answer.It is a big dilemma for me as this school is where I live,it iwas my favorite school considering the staff.I don't know whether to quit that school next year(We have two big districts,there is excess sub jobs).Please suggest,my most confidence nowadays lies in sub forums and posts.Thank you for your time.

sila is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Yes and No
Old 06-17-2013, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You seem to be wondering if these events are related. Here are my thoughts.

YES: Yes, the boy questioning you on where your house was at was probably the one who egged your car. It's just the thing certain brats think is funny. He and his friends probably did it.

NO: The issue with your paycheck is likely an error and merely coincidental to your reporting the egging to the school and police.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with Mercury that the mixup with your pay for that day was just that: a mixup that had nothing to do with the rude kid in your class. Bratty kids are a lot more bold when they are with a group. Kind of a pack mentality, I guess.

My feeling is that if you no longer sub for this school that you love, then you are letting that "entitled" (in his mind) kid win, so to speak. I wouldn't let anyone have that kind of control over my life.

I'm sure this kid was annoyed, b/c you didn't let him get away with calling you names. He and his buddies thought they'd show you a thing or two by egging your house. They probably hope this will intimidate you into not subbing for them again. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of that.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I agree
Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

with both Mercury and Mooba1, one disagreeable incident shouldn't have you avoiding a place you enjoy.

I think if I spotted the child at his house, I'd be tempted to say to him, "ah, and now I know where you live, too." Of course, I'd never do anything to his house, but perhaps knowing you might have a talk with his parents will be a deterrent.

For right now, I'd let it go and allow the police and school to handle matters. If it continues, that might be a different matter, perhaps involving cameras.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Singfree

Old 06-17-2013, 11:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also agree with everyone that one incident shouldn't keep you from a school you "usually" enjoy.

Like you, I'd also be upset and wonder about the job assignment being listed differently for that day, but like others have pointed out there's no way to know for sure. The question I'd be asking myself is: "did the school panic and list it differently in case I pressed charges against the boy(s)?" But that doesn't make sense. The school could just say; we weren't informed there was a threat made that day in that class. If you would have told someone at the school and they knew you were threatened and did nothing, then maybe they'd feel the need to protect themselves. I'm not sure how changing their record of the assignment would protect them anyway. And, they weren't informed of the boy's passive-aggressive threat, so I'd take it as a mistake.

Did the egg damage the paint on your cars?

I'd go back next year (fresh start), and take it from there. Hope the rest of your summer goes much better!

Singfree is offline   Reply With Quote

sila

reply from Sila
Old 06-18-2013, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for the replies.I will go back to the school in the new year,still with lot of prayers.For Singfree's question-answer is No,my car was not damaged for the paint.I had a hard time cleaning it though.The house had a stinky egg smell for days when it rained.
sila is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherinWA

Mayberry USA?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I want to know where you live. If I called police about my house and car getting egged. I think the police would laugh and say - "So?"

I don't know that I would really mess with it if you are not sure who it was.
teacherinWA is offline   Reply With Quote