Help

Substitute Teachers

Regarding unemployment

>

Beethechange

Regarding unemployment
Old 06-11-2013, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm wondering if I can qualify since I am pregnant and won't be able to accept work next fall. Can this be a reasonable cause for not working? Please read this article because I'm thinking of putting this reason down on my application.

New York does not allow teachers to collect unemployment during scheduled school breaks, such as winter vacation, spring break or the summer between academic years. Therefore, if you have reasonable cause to believe that you will be able to work as a substitute teacher again when school starts up again, you cannot collect unemployment benefits. However, if you are unable to get work again when school resumes, you can file for retroactive benefits to cover your unemployment during the break.

Read more: Can a Substitute Teacher Collect Unemployment in New York? | eHow http://www.ehow.com/info_8721164_can...#ixzz2VxjRUV6x

Beethechange is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I would think that if you have been
Old 06-11-2013, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

working regularly, and getting paid as an employee, you have been paying into disability insurance. In California, during the last month or so of pregnancy and the first three months after the baby is born, a woman can collect disability.

As for unemployment, being unable to GET work is different from being unable to accept a job because you can't DO the work. If they offer and you refuse, for whatever reason, that probably doesn't qualify as unemployment. Depending upon how pregnant you are when school starts, you might try for disability based on maternity leave.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

No
Old 06-11-2013, 10:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't think that's going to get you unemployment. I suppose it can't hurt to try, but at this point you need to make other plans so that you and your baby don't suffer. You haven't mentioned a husband so I presume you are single? Is the father of your baby involved and is he willing to support you and the baby? If not what is your plan for living, in the (very likely) instance you are unable to get unemployment?

Some things you can do right now to ensure you have a little income and sustenance until you can get back to working regularly:

- File for child support from your baby's father. It takes a while to get the ball rolling, especially if dad is unwilling to comply, so get it started now so that by the time baby is born all you have to do is the paternity test. The state pays for this.

- Apply for food stamps and WIC. These are both programs you helped to fund with your taxes. There is no shame in needing help and there is no reason for you and your baby to starve.

- Apply for welfare cash benefits. It's not much, actually probably about the same as you'd get for unemployment.

- Apply for state medical. They'll kick you off as soon as you have the baby I think, but your baby/child can stay on it until they are 18 as long as you are poor. Hopefully though, this is a temporary state of affairs.

- Apply for state childcare assistance. Daycare is VERY expensive but it's necessary for you to have someone look after your baby so you can work.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

besides pregnancy is no reason NOT to work,
Old 06-12-2013, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

in most instances. we have teachers and paras who work until labor begins and take off as little as three weeks if they don't have days built up. of course, that is dependent on the health of mother and child.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Beethechange

I guess I'm gonna have to take 3 weeks off
Old 06-12-2013, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well based on all the comments I've recieved I have no choice to take 3 weeks off.

Clarity

I don't know why you wouldn't look into
Old 06-12-2013, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

family leave or maternity leave, since you are probably being paid as an employee and paying into state disability.

Three weeks? Have you ever had a child before? You will most likely not be ready to return to work in three weeks.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

Beethechange

In nyc subs don't get maternity leave
Old 06-12-2013, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In nyc subs don't get maternity leave i already found out.

basketball777

Old 06-29-2013, 10:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yeah I would think only full time teachers employed for at least a yr get FMLA..... and maternity leave.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote