Help

Substitute Teachers

Catholic school or subbing?

>

musix452

Catholic school or subbing?
Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently got a job offer from a Catholic School, but the pay is about 16K less than what I should be getting from a public school. It is a stable job in a nice school, which is 20 minutes away and the principal seems really nice. THE MONEY ISSUE is killing me though. I would make a couple thousand less being a sub! I am also not a catholic school girl, while I am Catholic I am not religious at all and one of the principal's conditions is that I would even have to take my last sacrament during the school year.

My question is this:
Should I take the job despite the low pay for the sake of having a job?
OR
Should I continue to sub? My primary school for subbing is the amazing public school that I student taught at. They have not contacted me for any job for the next year though, even though I think they may have a sp. ed. opening, which I am certified for.

HELP!

musix452 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 06-09-2013, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, if the pay is higher than subbing, I would take it. I actually worked as a full time teacher at a catholic school before subbing. But, for me it was the opposite....they actually paid me less than a public school sub makes in my area, so I left it to become a sub. It was nice having my own classroom and makes me proud to tell other teachers that I did once work full time, so they dont view me as 'just a sub'. The students will probably behave better than they do in the public school and you most likely will have a steady paycheck during tbe summers too. They are also much less political, so it can be a more positive experience. I would go for it in a heartbeat if the pay was even a little more than subbung and more steady.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 06-09-2013, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you don't have any teaching experience, you should do it. Just don't stay for too many years or you'll get too expensive to be hired by the public schools. Subbing can give you lots of great ideas and the freedom of walking out the door without a bag full of things to do, but there's nothing like having your own classroom of students.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Beethechange

Take the job
Old 06-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's better than subbing any day.
Beethechange is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 06-09-2013, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well, I sub because I want to work part time, but if I was looking for full time, I'd take it!

The pay may be less, but so are the hassles - you're not going to burried in government mandates, the parents are very invested (because they're paying tuition) and the students are likely better behaved as well. I think your classroom will be more "yours" in a private school than it would in a public one.

The only real problem in my opinion is if you feel uncomfortable with the sacrament requirement - but I can't decide that part for you.

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

momandsub

Old 06-09-2013, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If the job pays more than subbing, take it. Both of my children attend Catholic Schools and I sub at a few. They usually call last minute and I am already booked at the public school district though.

Private school parents are more invested, by the time they get to fourth grade, the real trouble makers have been weeded out. You are not tied to a state-mandated curriculum and test scores. At my kids elementary school until 6th grade, each class had a full time aid. There is usually much less red tape to cut through to get a problem solved. And in reality you are teaching to a group of students in the same general ability range, you do not have the huge disparity in ability level that comes with a public school environment.

Unless the sacramental requirement is a cause of concern for you, I would go for it.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Smilingsub

Old 06-09-2013, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Like NJSubteacher, I also worked in a Catholic school prior to subbing. Like Lakeside, I can't tell you what to do about the sacrament requirement, but I can tell you that I loved working in a Catholic school for the many reasons mentioned by previous posters. With the changes that are taking place in the public school system in my city, I would happily go back to teaching in a Catholic school in a heartbeat. I don't agree that there are no hassles in Catholic schools but the benefits outweigh the hassles.

You mentioned that the school you student taught in didn't contact you about the special ed opening but did you inquire about it or apply for it? You need to take the initiative.

I agree with vttraveler, if you do accept the Catholic school job, don't stay for too many years because your years in Catholic school will count partially toward your public school salary. I have 6 years experience teaching in Catholic school, 8 1/2 years of subbing and a master's degree. I sincerely doubt that there is a public school who will want to hire me because the years of subbing also count partially. It is easy to become happy and comfortable in a Catholic school, but you can become too comfortable and stay too long.

Last edited by Smilingsub; 06-10-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Smilingsub is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 06-30-2013, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Take the job. If the other one comes along, ask here what you should do. But take the job.
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote