Another Current Events class question Please Help! I'm drowning!. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Social Studies

Another Current Events class question Please Help! I'm drowning!.

>

luvzkats

Another Current Events class question Please Help! I'm drowning!.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I gained some valuable information from my last post. I'm trying to set up a format or routine for my class. Each teacher was told to make up a class to teach for an elective. I selected Current Events. There are no objectives or format, so I need to come up with them.

Has anyone taught this class. I really, really need some help setting up a daily routine. Please help with any suggestions if you can. I'm desperate at this point.

luvzkats is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

mention
Old 08-28-2011, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You don't mention if you have funds. If you do, I'd subscribe to one of the YA magazines. I'm retired now so I'm not positive which ones still exist. Perhaps another pt'er will help you with that.

I'd start with a few terms - similar to those you'd use for a newspaper assignment: local, regional, national, international. Maybe having some recent newspapers available for students to thumb through. In groups perhaps, I'd have them fill out the categories with a headline that fits and a sentence or two about it.

Then I'd discuss the objectives of the class with the students: becoming aware of the world around us in the four categories they discussed that day.

You might run the class like a newspaper class, with the exception that you'd MAKE news as well as write about it. (Do you have video capability and cameras so you could do a TV program now and then?)

You could have them pick a project - recycling or book swaps or community safety - and plan what they could do, documenting it as they went along, especially the reactions of other people. In other words, making their own current event.

Maybe you could start each class with a kind of bell work assignment - a headline from the previous day's newspaper or TV on the board - rotating which category the headlines are from: one day national, another international, etc. - or follow one topic until it's played out some how.

Have the kids keep a journal and each writing three questions that come to mind immediately. Then follow that with answers, or more questions. I'd make them short so it doesn't seem like a history class.

Or - you could literally make it a journalism class.
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

SOTRainbow

Some ideas
Old 09-03-2011, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

- Teach the 5 themes of geography and relate current events to the 5 themes. A good way for the students to remember them is MR HELP ( movement, region, H/E interaction, location, place)

- analyze political cartoons and other primary resource documents using SOAPS TONE (speaker, occasion, audience, purpose, story, tone - look up SOAPS document analysis)

make signs- STRONGLY AGREE, AGREE, STRONGLY DISAGEE, DISAGREE - and post them in the room. After reading/watching current events, have students go the signs that match their opinions and ask them to defend their positions.
SOTRainbow is offline   Reply With Quote

SOTRainbow

another suggestion
Old 09-03-2011, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Match your curriculum to the state SS curriculum and district calendar for SS. You can't go wrong there. Reinforce SS and grammar/writing skills in your classes (ELA teachers will appreciate it). Definitely reinforce reading skills - look up the standards for your state and ask the ELA teachers what they need help with. (main idea, 5W's, point of view, author's purpose, etc.)

Graphic organizers are great to use with current events. readingquest.org has some good ones, as well as many other sites. readwritethink.org has lots of great lessons you could adapt to current events.

If you have the funds, see if you can get at least a class set of Junior Scholastic - a current event magazine. Look at their website for examples.

Last edited by SOTRainbow; 09-03-2011 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: revised
SOTRainbow is offline   Reply With Quote

BeeReal

@SOTRRainbow
Old 02-02-2017, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

These are great suggestions!! Thanks!

BeeReal is offline   Reply With Quote