Help

Substitute Teachers

No long term any more

>

mrsd5

No long term any more
Old 05-05-2017, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had accepted a 9 day assignment to begin on the 15th until the end of the school year. The 6th grade student teacher was supposed to take it, but his sub application wasn't going through. So when I was asked by the principal, I agreed after checking to see that I wouldn't go over my allotted 500 hours for the year. Today the teacher texted me to say that the student teacher's sub license came through and did I still want the job. I've been her sub about 10 days this year, and really like her classes. And she always requests me. But I told her to give it to him. To be honest, I was sort of ambivalent anyway. End of the year. Ancient Cultures contest (students will be competing sort of like an Olympics) where we would be making the games..... Sounds exhausting. So I am open again. I'm guessing I will have plenty of opportunities to sub the last two weeks anyway. Lots of exhausted teachers, you know. So, I am feeling relieved right now.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Good move
Old 05-05-2017, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You did good. 1) the student teacher will get more experience and maybe a shot at a full time job for next year, 2) you were kind of iffy about doing it, 3) it's highly likely you'll get some last-minute jobs, and most importantly, 4) you avoid the EOY nuttiness with multiple days with the same class! Sounds like a win all the way around!
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Plus, no closing down the room
Old 05-05-2017, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's my least favorite part. The student teacher did his observations first semester and then student taught second semester. He's a little older (like 30 instead of 22) and so calm with the kids. I've subbed in that room a few times and I've been impressed. There IS a math opening (another nightmare first year teacher story) in 7th grade, so he'd also already know the students. We will see.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 05-06-2017, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Oh yes, I forgot about buttoning up the room at the end. Gah! You really dodged a bullet.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote