Help

Substitute Teachers

Fidget spinners and other annoyances

>

Subinnc

Fidget spinners and other annoyances
Old 05-11-2017, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm so truly "over" the fidget spinners.

Quite honestly, I'm just over this school year in general. I'm over it all. I'm tired of ratios and exponents and number lines and histograms. I'm sick of transverse waves and matter and the periodic table. And kids. There are SO MANY of them where I work!! Like, whole rooms full of them!

I'm burned out. I don't ever remember being this burned out at the end of the year. Three weeks and two days seems like an awful long time...

Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Cayo

Is that what those things are called?
Old 05-11-2017, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Every middle school boy has one and despite my many warnings to put them away or I'll take them away, they find ways to spin them anyhow. Nasty little toys.

I'm with you. This year can't end soon enough.
Cayo is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Banned
Old 05-11-2017, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One of the schools I sub at has banned them; if you have it out, it gets taken away and sent to the office and a parent has to pick it up. I actually don't mind them as much as I mind cell phones, if a student is not on task and the fidget spinner is keeping them from working, then I put it on the teacher's desk until the end of class.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Missesmk

I can't stand those things!
Old 05-11-2017, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm also so over this school year. Really just this last month or so. Only 10 more days to go!
Missesmk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 05-11-2017, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Where did these things come from?

I saw them for the first time on April 27 in a 9th grade classroom.

Now even the kindergartners have them.

I guess they are a nationwide phenomanam.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

They were originally designed for SPED
Old 05-12-2017, 01:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Apparently they were originally designed for students in special education classes as a calming toy.

Funny, I feel like some kids in SPED classes use it far more appropriately than "regular" students.

My thoughts: seems like a toy for kids that are younger than middle schoolers. More for elementary level. Kids are becoming less mature.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Less mature
Old 05-12-2017, 04:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You said it, honestly, I was in a class of end of year 6th graders and they acted like 2nd graders-- ridiculous!

Sublime

Old 05-12-2017, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

fidget spinners, fidget cubes, and just the other day I saw these fidget 1/4 inch thick rubber wormy things. Kids were snapping them around. I think they're great for sped students who need help focusing but for the rest they are TOYS! How did we ever sit still without anything to "fidget" with?????
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Banned at our school as well
Old 05-12-2017, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

And, like CC96, they are taken to the office and a parent must pick them up. Hate them!
mrsd5 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ciel

Old 05-12-2017, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

They don't bother me. The high schoolers who have them where I work just use them as they are supposed to.

To me, phones and the stupid water bottle challenge are worse. At least these are quiet, and are less distracting.

I too am done with this year. I'm tired of hunting, tired of distractions, tired of asking students to put their phones away, and tired of getting up at 5 am in anticipation of a job.
Luckily, next week and the week after are it for me. I'm counting the days.

Ciel is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 05-12-2017, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hopefully the fidget spinners (which have been banned at the school where I sub most often) and the bottle flipping will die over the summer. Unfortunately, those will be replaced with the latest version of stupidity.

I have six more days, and then I'm D-O-N-E for this school year. Well, unless I get a call for the last week of school like I did last year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get a last minute call.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Out
Old 05-12-2017, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I just make myself not available the last few days of school-- who wants that kind of crazy😩

Kailey123

Old 05-13-2017, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

The "fidget" things are used with special ed kids, and usually used appropriately. Those kids have behavior plans that usually say when they can use them. One 1st grade class that I sub in often has several sped kids who do their work, then get their toy. Or if the class is becoming too overwhelming they tell me and they get the toy.

But the non-sped kids just took it over, and so many parents went along with it. "Oh my child is a bit stressed in school so this will help him." um, no. Our principal (I only sub in one school) has banned them now, except for the kids whose IEP says they can have them. -- Some non-sped kids do try to use them though...one boy -- 3rd grade -- objected when I took his away the other day, saying "my mom says I need this!" I said "okay, please tell her to call Mrs. Principal about it. Meanwhile give it to me." Another kid -- 4th grade -- said "you can't take that! My mom will be mad that you have it!" lol. I said "Please have her call the office and they'll let her know when she can come it to get it."

sheesh...
Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 05-13-2017, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Have you seen the light up fidget spinners?

Saw a couple of those the other day at the elementary school where I was told I couldn't take the fidget spinners from kids. A couple were so engrossed in playing with theirs that they missed the directions I was giving and asked for them to be repeated.

So much for helping with concentration.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Bandnstrings

sad
Old 05-13-2017, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Not sure if this is true but it's what I've heard: Somebody invented them a way's back, and they never took off. Her patent ran out, but she didn't bother renewing the patent because nobody was buying them. Now, they suddenly took off, but the patent expired so the original person who made them is getting squat. How heartbreaking is that? Not sure if this is the verified situation, but really sad if it's correct.
Bandnstrings is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 05-13-2017, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I had a class full of these at the high school yesterday. The boy closest to my desk used his constantly: "Spin-spin-spin-spin-wwwwhhhhhiiirrrrrerlllllll!!!!! !!!" Over.and.over.

Even though I am usually "the nice sub," I had to look at him and ask if he could please give me like a 10 minute break from it.

I notice it has only been boys doing this so far. The only issue I had with girls was one who wore a shirt with a completely open back, proudly showcasing her lacy black bra. Fortunately, the girl next to her had a sweatshirt she could borrow.

And maybe that mindset explains why a couple of days ago an admin came in for a student and confiscated his phone. Turned out, a racy video was filmed AT SCHOOL, IN CLASS and circulated this week. These kids have no idea how they are hurting their futures.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 05-15-2017, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I guess I'm the odd one. They don't bother me one ounce. I guess I see it as a relief from BOTTLE FLIPPING!
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

jeopardyfan

Old 05-15-2017, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by artladyhere
I guess I see it as a relief from BOTTLE FLIPPING!
So true! At least the spinners are quiet. I hope the bottle flipping/dabbing fads die out over the summer. Especially the dabbing thing----the first time I saw a kid do it was when everyone was working quietly on worksheets and I thought he was having a spasm and ran over to make sure he was ok.
jeopardyfan is offline   Reply With Quote