How to Say "I Left Because it Was Terrible"

>

Uncertain

Uncertain

How to Say "I Left Because it Was Terrible"
Old 05-17-2017, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Question for you more experienced subs:
I have just asked to have myself taken off the sub list of a district for which I've been working for over a year. It's a rough district, and I ran into too many situations that were above my head (this was my first job since getting certified through an alternative certification program). Is there a good way to explain that in future job applications?

BMusic

No need to explain
Old 05-17-2017, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If this was just a per diem sub job I'd just list the dates you were there on your resume for experience and leave it at that. If it's known as a rough district, the fact you were there for a year means enough and looks good anyway.
BMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Uncertain

Uncertain

Thanks
Old 05-17-2017, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the input. I do think most employees in my area will have a pretty clear idea of what the district is like. Do you have any suggestions for what to put in "why you left" fields? I would say to pursue other opportunities, but I haven't actually found anything yet.

Lottalove

Use the same lines they use on us...
Old 05-17-2017, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It was not a good fit.

It is very vague but does not sound disrespectful or negative to the person or school.

It is so vague that it can mean just about anything.

Schools say that to teachers all the time to justify anything and everything. It is used for everything from non-renewals to grade level changes to building changes to adding or removing programs/curriculum and more.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Uncertain

Uncertain

Okay
Old 05-17-2017, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That's a good idea, thanks.

broomrider

uncertain
Old 05-17-2017, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Pursuing other opportunities is what you are doing. Not having found an opportunity yet, means you must keep pursuing.

I do agree that if you are applying locally, they will know what kind of a district you've left. I expect that there have been other refugees who have shared stories over the years. You'll likely get extra points for lasting a year there.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 05-17-2017, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When you are a sub, you do not officially have to leave. You can merely just stop accepting jobs and still be officially employed by the district.

This way you do not have to say you left.

Most districts would only dump you if you work fewer than 10 days a year.

Since you have left, however, you might want to think of other reasons that make sense, but are unrelated to the truth.

Was it a long commute?
Were you offered enough work?
Were you not being offered your preferred grades often enough, or your preferred subject?
Were you tired of working with complaining co-workers?
Did too many of the staff seem unhappy?
Did they have policies you felt were detrimental to children learning?
Did you need to take care of family members?
Did you hear or read wonderful things about the new district that you are anxious to partake in?
Did you feel the old district was not capable of meeting your goals or standards?
Did you feel their use of technology was not adequate, or was limiting?

Think about your experiences at the district, and explain how they might have been stifling your ability to utilize your skills to your potential
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 05-18-2017, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The less said the better... HR people know how to recognize "code" on applications and good interviewers will dig. The bigger concern than the application is how to answer the interview question. I would probably go with "to pursue other opportunities" on the application... but also think about how you'll answer the interview question (if it's a good interviewer). "Why did you decide to pursue other opportunities?"

I don't think you want to answer, "I ran into too many situations that were above my head." You can try the "not a good match..." response. You don't want to lie. More importantly, you don't want to complain about the work environment at that district.

My guess is this won't be a huge issue... subbing is a temporary job. (You could even list as your reason for leaving "temporary position.") So you won't get labeled as a "job hopper."

Just be prepared in case there are questions, remembering that HR people often do knee jerk reactions because they are trying to avoid hiring people who complain about employers. They are often suspicious by nature--unfortunately, that's somewhat necessary. Just don't give them a rabbit hole to run down...
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Bandnstrings

something like
Old 05-18-2017, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

"accepted a position with more anticipated opportunities in my field" "accepted a position with more potential future growth"
Bandnstrings is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 05-19-2017, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If you sub at multiple schools or districts, you can say that you were finding that you were getting more job opportunities at others schools or districts so you decided to stop accepting jobs from this particular one. You can even use the commute length as well.

My husband used to sub and mostly got middle school jobs. He was signed up at a couple of high school districts for years. After a while, he realized that he rarely got any calls for then high schools so he took himself off of their sub lists. No big deal.

jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote