Help

Substitute Teachers

Demo lesson

>

BMusic

Demo lesson
Old 06-12-2017, 10:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I taught a demo lesson as part of the interview process for a job at the school I sub at. I didn't really know this particular class that well and they behaved horrendously...even with administrators in the room observing me. That really shocked me. Anyone else ever had that happen?

BMusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

not demo a lesson
Old 06-13-2017, 01:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've never demo'ed a lesson with an admin present during the hiring process and the kids behaving badly but I've heard of some regular teachers doing their thing in front of admins and the kids behaving just as you said. It does happen and I think it's because of the composition of a class, general effects of tracking. With that said, I still believe that adults have to have appropriate sanctions in place in order to help manage their behaviour. But this is impossible to do if you're just there to demo a lesson during some hiring process. I suppose that a real veteran teacher with at least 20 years' experience can pull this off.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Just maybe...
Old 06-13-2017, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Don't know the age group (and maybe it doesn't matter), but the nature of a "demo" encourages disengagement and behavior issues--particularly if the kids sense we're not really teaching them, we're demonstrating our abilities. That means it's show time--not learning time. They're given the upper hand in what becomes a power struggle. It's an artificial situation and I don't know why admin uses it.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

BMusic

Old 06-17-2017, 03:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for your replies; I didn't get the job based on not addressing the behaviors enough. I felt like I was in The Twilight Zone; like the kids behaved worse BECAUSE the principal was there! I sub in this school but didn't know this particular class. Also interesting is there is usually an aide with the class but she goes somewhere else during specials, so wasn't present.
BMusic is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 06-18-2017, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My sympathies... sounds like a set-up! Interesting that the principal didn't address the behaviors either... If a principal was in a classroom (in real life) I would hope he/she would support the teacher if behaviors went south. Based on your description, you were in a no-win situation. If you'd managed the behaviors but not been able to get through the demo lesson... (I'm not suggesting it's an either/or, but these artificial situations are just that.)

I'd lobby for some observation while you're subbing... you could approach it as you'd like some help building your strengths, but it would also give the P an opportunity to see you in a real life situation.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-18-2017, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Personally, I wouldn't want to work in a school where that was the situation. I've only done one demo lesson. I hated everything about the school EXCEPT the behavior of the kids (and I think part of the reason they were so good was because admin was in the room).

It sounds like they purposely gave you a horrible class (they could have had you demo with any class, why one with an aide?) and then dinged you because of behaviors. And they didn't step in to support behaviors. That doesn't bode well for the school year. Count your blessings and move on.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote