Help

Substitute Teachers

I'm ba-a-a-ack!

>

spedder1

I'm ba-a-a-ack!
Old 07-25-2017, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year I subbed a few days at the beginning of the school year, then had a total knee replacement. I was off for almost 6 weeks . I returned to a 2 week sub job, then took a permanent half time position. That job lasted from November through April. It was for one student 3 1/2 hours a day and one student for an hour a day (both special ed). The job was draining and the half day student became increasingly violent. One day I came to work and found out the parent had moved him out of district. I wanted to kiss the ground. So, I am now signed up to sub again. I was on vacation when I got a text from my old special ed supervisor asking me if I would take on a self-contained classroom for an indeterminate amount of time. It's in my old classroom (physically) and with the moderate to severe Intermediate elementary students. You all know I said yes, right? I can work up to 90 days to stay under my Social Security limit if I get long term pay or 100 days if I don't get long term. Right now it looks like long term. It is for a friend, so I need to get information from her on the students (I know all of them at least a little bit), access their IEPs or get hard copies from her, and put together portfolios and documentation. She has all that stuff. It just needs to be pulled together. The first day of Institute is on the 16th of August. I have been asked to do a training for paraprofessionals on the 17th in the afternoon. I will do two different sessions, both on topics near and dear to my heart. I have the materials and am allowed to make changes. I need to start working on that right away. An outside agency is paying me, so it doesn't go against my TRS money. I do need to make sure it fits into my 90 day time frame and adjust that time frame if need be.
Some day I'll do the retirement and sub a little thing the right way. I guess it's not this year.
Kathy

Last edited by spedder1; 07-25-2017 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: changed wording
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

lilyclaire

Old 07-25-2017, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You have such a good heart to help your friend out by saying yes to an undetermined time frame. I hope you have a great experience! The students will be lucky to have you.
lilyclaire is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 07-30-2017, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Of course we know you said yes, lol. Subs who will work Sped are few and far between, so they are very lucky to have you. I hope this gig will be less action-packed than your last one.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Just got an email
Old 07-30-2017, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The principal thinks the teacher will be out the full year, so they will be advertising the position for a permanent teacher. My friend will have a job in the district when she returns, but probably not the same job. I don't think she wants to come back to it, either. I'm going in tomorrow to talk with him and the AP of Special Ed. By then I should have an answer about how Social Security is impacted. I think it will be okay and I can work 90 days, but I want them to give me a definite answer tomorrow. The 90 day number will put me close to the $16,920.00 I can earn per year. I am also doing a training for paras on the 17th, so will be paid for that by an outside agency that contracts with the school district. They pay hourly for preparation, up to 4 hours per session. I am leading 2 sessions. They also pay hourly, door to door, on that day. They also pay $27/hour. The district only pays a stipend of $22.50 for extra work, going to required trainings, etc. Should be a fun day, but I still need to watch the money.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote