Substitute Teachers

how do you collect

>

Lumberman

Lumberman

how do you collect
Old 10-30-2018, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know that it all depends on the instruction of a teacher but have you ever been asked to collect work? If so, how do you keep track? Let's say that there's some type of an assessment. How do you ensure that every student who is present turn in their work? How about for any type of work? How do you manage the intake of the flow of paper? If someone fails to turn in the work?

luv2teach2017

Old 10-30-2018, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, sometimes (in elementary school). Unless it's a test, I don't agonize over it. If a student doesn't comply, their teacher will address it.
luv2teach2017 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 10-30-2018, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Very often I collect work. In elementary, I paper clip the collected assignments together. If there are more than one, then each is paper clipped separately. In junior high, whether homework or tests, I clip them together by period. I have never been asked to determine who has NOT turned in work. As the previous poster said, it's up to the teacher to do that.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

It depends...
Old 10-31-2018, 01:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Many classrooms have a turn-in basket. If not, I tend to follow Sublime's procedure. Grade level is a factor. A lot of times I request the student hand their work to me personally, then glance at it and ask questions like "Is this your best work?" and "Are you proud of it?" or "Do you think Mrs. Regular Teacher will be happy?" Very often the kid will take it back and put some more effort into it.

During one particularly complicated period, kids were working their way through three assignments so I started listing them on the whiteboard as they turned in each. One kid asked if she could write her own name and choose the color... it became a fun "reward" for completing each assignment.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 10-31-2018, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with the previous suggestions.

Sometimes I'll see students who haven't put forth much effort try to put their papers into their mailboxes instead of turning them in. It's the old story that keeps coming up on most ProTeacher boards--students doing what they want to do instead of following directions. It doesn't matter if the directions are repeated four times.

There was a day once in a high school social studies classroom when I was asked to give a test. Some of the students gave the impression they couldn't be trusted, so I used a class list to make sure everyone turned in a paper. Sure enough, one student didn't, and he was surprised when I caught him. He became belligerent, and refused to give me his paper. I wrote a referral, and sent him to the office.

c6g is offline   Reply With Quote
LostINRoom

LostINRoom

keeping track
Old 10-31-2018, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If I collect something for hand in and I'm functioning as a substitute, I try to keep track of who's turned something in using a list. If there's a list provided by the office, I use that and check off names that turned something in even if that person might be absent but got his friend to turn an assignment in for him.

Using that list and once I know who hasn't turned something in, I talk to any student that failed to hand in. I would say things like I might have to ask them to stay so they can finish and turn it in or they may not go for recess until they give me their work. If it's in the older grades, I would ask them for a reason and state that in a report. The onus is on the teacher to implement their consequence or some type of an action.

There's really nothing much I can do to encourage/force/coerce a student to turn in work that they fail to do even though I try to keep them on task. However, if I know the teacher and that teacher has a way to motivate them to use their time productively, I remind them. There's one teacher I know that uses computer time as leverage or token.

SubMan

Old 11-01-2018, 02:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Most of the time I have the students pass the papers forward and I collect these from the student in the front. I note how many papers Iíve received and how many students are in the row. If their is a discrepancy I call out student names. Sometimes a student turns in a paper for an absent student, other times no paper is turned in.

I started doing this after I got accused of losing a students paper; it was course selections for the following school year. I am certain that I didnít lose it, but it was a case of ďI turned it in the sub must of lost it.Ē It was a school board members child so it turned into a big issue.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

stupid people
Old 11-01-2018, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Anybody who has a sub collect something that important has a screw loose.
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

Are you sure?
Old 11-02-2018, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
Anybody who has a sub collect something that important has a screw loose.
This is a big generalization. I have to admit that I got a chuckle out of this but if the regular teacher had an emergency (or even a surprise meeting or PD) and a day of assessment was in the plan, it's not so idiotic... It's a reality.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 11-03-2018, 01:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
This is a big generalization
Definitely agree... I think a regular teacher has the right to expect subs to be capable of some basic tasks.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

what is the worst that could happen?
Old 11-03-2018, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Then they can deal with the consequences when it doesn't go well. I like to do what I can to make the best possible outcome happen. If I have no choice, that is fine, but I don't like to ask for problems and that is what I consider this to be. To each his own, but the crap runs downhill, and when I was a teacher I would never leave this to the sub and let the crap fall on them when I could have thought it out better. I like to think things through as best as I can, and I know that takes more time and energy on my part (as a teacher I am talking about), but I like to think along the lines of "what would the consequences be if something went wrong, here?" and plan accordingly. The sub that had the problem with the course selections for the next year was the one that had to reap the crap from, what I consider, was a bad decision because of what would happen if something went wrong (which it did in this case). It could have just been the student enjoying what would happen if he didn't turn it in because of the drama it would cause because of who his parent is. I don't know, I like to stand up for the subs because I think many people don't (even on this list). I know I'm "rambling," but I'm trying to hurry as we're about to go see the new Queen movie Yea!

artladyhere

Old 11-05-2018, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Paperwork paper clipped together with a sticky note with the grade/class written on it (middle school). If a student fails to turn a paper in that is on them---consequences.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

That's what I do
Old 11-05-2018, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

That's what I do.