Substitute Teachers

notes from sub

>

LostINRoom

LostINRoom

notes from sub
Old 11-04-2018, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If you write notes to the regular, do you leave it for this person exclusively or do you keep an admin in the loop by providing some carbon copy. I came across a feedback form and on it says to give to admin. I really don't want to fill it out as I had said everything I need to say on a message I left for the regular.

I guess I'm wondering why an admin would like the "first to know" when I think it should be the regular that should be "first to know" and then share that info with anyone concerning.

mrsd5

Nope
Old 11-04-2018, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've never had to leave a copy for administration. I DID leave a long behavior log on a student, though, that was shared with one administrator. The boy had a behavior plan, and it didn't work (in a major way). Because part of his plan was to voluntarily go to the office (I gave him a pass), and he apparently never showed up, it was shared with the asst. prince. The sixth grader was called out on it, and I never had a real problem with him again.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 11-04-2018, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hmm...I’ve never come across a feedback form such as you describe, LostINRoom. Maybe it was a stock template that the regular teacher got from a website?

In any case, I’m not sure why admin would want to know the info, unless something serious happened. Also, if any incident was serious enough for admin to know about, they’d know anyway, b/c I would’ve involved them.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SometimeSub

SometimeSub

Old 11-04-2018, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I only leave information for administration if I'm asked to. I work for one district where I am supposed to leave feedback on AESOP and turn in a form to the sub coordinator when I leave. I think this is to discourage teachers from throwing the sub under the bus. In this district, I can count on there being good lessons plans and information for subs. Students know that there will be consequences for misbehaving for a sub. The sub coordinator makes sure you have all the phone numbers you need for emergency situations. In other districts I may arrive and find no lessons plans, lessons plans that have already been done, lesson plans that involve technology that I have no way to access and no information about who to ask, no class lists, no seating charts, no emergency info. and so forth.

I think, as a sub, you are always stuck in the middle between teachers and administration. In the district where administration keeps close tabs on how the teachers prepare for subs, I find that the teachers are not particularly friendly to subs. They see us as potential tattle-tales. I choose not to be a tattle-tale if it is not district policy but if I have to choose between districts I will choose the one that makes sure that teachers prepare for subs.

luv2teach2017

Old 11-04-2018, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've never been required to submit sub notes to the office (I've worked for 4 districts). But I have occasionally taken a photo of the Plan and my notes as a record if there was an issue that day.

I seldom feel any strain with teachers. But for a sub, dealing not only with problem kids, but also with troublesome support staff, parents, and volunteers can be difficult. That's when writing good sub notes to document the situation and offering a copy to the principal is a wise precaution to cya.

luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 11-04-2018, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In 21 years of subbing, I have never shared my notes with an administrator, nor have I directly been asked to.
One high school does ask us to leave their own form for subs in the folder that we return to the office, but that is about it.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

never been asked
Old 11-04-2018, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If someone asks me face to face that I fill out some form or forward a copy of my feedback, no problem. It's good that an admin wants to know and cares enough to put that on a form. I would appreciate it better if the admin shows up in the room I'm in and finds out on their own.

dietcoke99

Why?
Old 11-04-2018, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would never make a copy of my notes for an admin. Why? Why would they need to know (or care) that we didn't have time to do "this or that" so I gave it to them for homework? It would have to be pretty darn bad for me to contact an admin about a teacher. One time recently I sent 2 students to the office, though. The v-princ called and asked me to write up something short about what happened. After school I went to the office and talked to her about it. I can't imagine why an admin would want a copy of the notes from every sub?

I do give feedback about the teacher on AESOP, but I always give perfect scores. If I can't give a perfect score, I don't give the feedback (and yes, that has happened sometimes). That is what works for me to keep my positive attitude, so maybe not politically correct, it works for me and so I do it that way.

I don't know what "I came across" means, but one time I did get something that said to fill out the feedback form about the teacher that I would be given upon leaving, but they never gave it to me, and I never asked for it.
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 11-05-2018, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Nope. But there is one ODD school that will hand me a survey form to fill out and turn in to the office every single time I'm there. They want to know my concerns...was everything provided...names of students that went above and beyond..and the last question is always--Would you sub with us again?
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
LostINRoom

LostINRoom

thank you ALL
Old 11-06-2018, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

So here's a few questions that are on a form for a sub to fill out:
1) List things that were done (or not) with students
2) Is the information provided on the subfolder adequate?
3) Is there any particular information on the subfolder that proved useful during your duty? Describe.
4) What events/incidents stood in the way of adhering to the classroom teacher's plan?
5) Did any accident happen? Describe and is a follow up required?
6) Was assistance readily available or visible when you needed it?

dietcoke99

feedback to teacher
Old 11-06-2018, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I assume that most of us have AESOP and know what questions AESOP asks about the teacher, but I guess there are probably some on here that aren't, so here it is...

-Select an overall score that represents how you would rate the experience you had in this position: 1-5, poor to outstanding

-Notes regarding lesson plans:

-I also taught... (not sure why a teacher would care about this)

-Messages for the permanent teacher:

-Notes regarding behavior:

-Students who were absent

-Terrific helpers
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 11-06-2018, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

FYI...AESOP is not used by some districts. In my region, SmartFindExpress is preferred. There are also likely other similar types of absence management systems in use throughout the country. Bear in mind, different systems have different functionality. Add to that the huge variations in the way different districts operate and the policies they have in place. All this makes generalizations nigh on impossible.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 11-07-2018 at 09:41 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

retiredtwice

Old 11-15-2018, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

The school district I worked in this week had in the sub packet a form to complete. For each hour it asked if the lesson plan was completed, if not why, students behavior, helpful students, absences and comments for the teacher.

I also leave a personal note to the teacher.

I've left comments on Aesop once but don't think I'll do that anymore.
retiredtwice is offline   Reply With Quote