Why are subs so insecure about this process? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Why are subs so insecure about this process?

>

AirStation

AirStation

Why are subs so insecure about this process?
Old 11-26-2018, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am back subbing and tutoring after many years in sales. I left subbing because I had to be at so many schools to keep working. They did or didn't have the Aesop systems, but I would be there for many weeks, get rave reviews from the teachers, and all of a sudden the main office would say, "oh, we feel it is fairer to call other subs now too," and I would not get called. Work would dry up like dust.

Most school systems don't care if the sub has former teaching experience, don't care if the sub taught different grades, don't care if the sub has a certain amount of education, and don't care if the sub has worked formally teaching in several different local school systems. That being said, does it matter really what happens? To me, it doesn't, seriously no.

I worked at a district as a sub with a special ed non-verbal autistic student who's FIRST WORDS in his ENTIRE LIFE were with me. I had been working with him as a para sub exclusively for a few months when it happened. It is a longer story, very touching. The para assigned to this student had a sick partner who unfortunately was in hospice for cancer, and she decided while I was subbing this student not to return to teaching.

I thought, I can apply for this job as a long-term sub for the rest of the year, since I had obvious rapport with the student. I sent my application for the long-term sub position to administration on advisement of the special ed director at the elementary school, who said "you'd be the perfect person for the job!" My resume and packet were the first packet there. It was not even advertised yet! End of story, did I get the job? Nope, they gave it to someone else. I did ask who, rather the qualifications of the person who got the job. On that answer (which they did graciously tell me who got the job over me and her qualifications), I left subbing and went to sales the same week.

That taught me a multitude of things, not least of which is that what you do as a sub is just what is logged in for that day to keep the education process wheel moving. Nothing more, certainly nothing less, but for darned sure nothing more.

Read the book "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff." Trust me, half of what most people think are this huge deal in life to lose sleep over tonight do not matter to anyone else, anywhere else.

If you have an opinion about this, let me know. Right now, the only jobs in my areas (and I mean AREAS) on Aesop are para's and half day for classroom teachers. I am not sure if I will be subbing much longer, but did have a tutoring job created for me through me marketing myself, and I am happy about that. It will probably last another 4 months tops.

Chime in, love to hear your thoughts. Anyone curious, I am female.

YayaSub

Old 11-26-2018, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't think I understand the question. Subs are insecure about WHAT process?
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-26-2018, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Iím also unsure of the question. .
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
AirStation

AirStation

I meant some subs feeling that
Old 11-26-2018, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

they had to justify having done something in the classroom environment, when the sub was in full charge of the class. The process was the second guessing and looking for feedback, when the sub was hired to make the executive decisions for the day.

I can understand it was not a clear question. That is how I saw it. Sorry for not being clear, this may not have been the place to ask it.

YayaSub

Old 11-27-2018, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We may have a different interpretation of the role of a sub. In most cases (for me, at least), the job of a sub is to follow the teacher's plan to my best ability and maintain the status quo until the teacher returns. I take responsibility for what happens on my watch, but I do not consider myself to be "taking over the classroom" while I'm there.

My schools treat me with appreciation and respect, but it sounds like that is not the case for everyone. Some schools seem to consider a sub to be a warm body with a pulse and treat them as second class citizens. If that were my case, I would be looking for a new job.

If your description on this board accurately represents your demeanor in person, we may have an answer for why you were passed over for a permanent position. Your descriptions (this thread and others) sound swaggering and overbearing. Only you can say if that is true or not.

Last edited by YayaSub; 11-27-2018 at 02:10 PM..
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

I think I deserve to be insecure, and is o.k.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
they had to justify having done something in the classroom environment, when the sub was in full charge of the class. The process was the second guessing and looking for feedback, when the sub was hired to make the executive decisions for the day.
I apologize, Yaya, b/c I apparently responded the most current post, instead of the original post, but that is probably pretty obvious.

I didn't think of this earlier, but I'll try not to bore you guys with this and make it short. 2 years ago I had to quit teaching due to illness that almost killed me.

This was very difficult as I was told that I would probably never have my own class again.

It was offered to me to go on permanent disability. I turned this down as I said that I did not want to lay on the couch and eat bon bons for the rest of my life.

I said that I WANTED to work (I was excited and even prepared for this year as a sub with business cards, etc.)

I am determined to work as long as I can and with all of the doctor appts, treatments, etc. that go along with that, subbing is about all I can do - and also b/c education is all I know since I've been in it my entire life.

I'm sure that I'm one of the "insecure" people spoken of, because a lot of the time, I am. It may not show at school, but I am. My teaching experience has not helped me much in subbing, but in this regard, it has. It has helped me appear more confident as I am comfortable in the classroom, etc. In fact, in some cases I think my experience, however, has actually hurt me because I know too much.

I almost assuredly would make more money on disability; however, I don't want to take the "easy" way out, as stated here and just "quit."

I'm sure that I'm not the only one here in a similar situation (though maybe not this extreme).

My strong suggestion is to not assume that you know everything in a particular situation and post negatively, because I assure you that you do not.

I've taken the advice of someone on here that "no news is good news," and that has served me well and changed my attitude towards feedback. So earlier posts aren't accurate today, but since you are new, you probably didn't know that [like I said, you don't know everything].

If you don't want to run your eyeballs over somebody else's post, then don't - nobody here is making you. Go to a different thread/post and don't comment negatively and act like you know everything, because you don't, and you certainly aren't helping anything.

I have learned a great deal on this list, and it has almost assuredly helped me keep myself going this year (barely! ) as I wade the waters of subbing for the first time (I've just come back to work this year).

Subbing is a TOTALLY different job than teaching.

I'm pretty sure that I, and others around me who know what is going on, will know when I will need to quit, but that hasn't happened, yet.

In the meantime I don't need this negativity because, unless it is my insecurity showing , the things mentioned were things that I have posted about, and probably geared towards me, et. al.

I certainly know that I'm not perfect on here, but at least I try and I don't post like I used to - I suggest that you do the same.

Last edited by dietcoke99; 11-27-2018 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: added [stupid?] quote
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote