Substitute Teachers

middle school?

>

ciounoi

middle school?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi there-

Got a half day in middle school tomorrow. I have done middle before, but I don't usually do it. What discipline strategies would you recommend? I intent to tell them who I am, you know the rules don't break them, you get one warning and then you get detention/written up. Sound good?

Thanks,
Grace

ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

Ask a fellow teacher
Old 09-03-2009, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

what discipline measures they use at the school. Each MS I've subbed at -- 8 of them thus far -- do it differently. Each school seems to approach it differently, in some cases ti seems to depend upon demographics.

As soon as the bell rings, I just stare at them individually until they've sat and quieted down. The students paying attention to my body language yell at the others to pay attention. It's pretty funny. But now I've established it's My classroom.

Then I introduce myself and state my own rules for the day, acknowledging that I KNOW they are going to try and get away with stuff because they have a sub. I tell them I know this because I remember what it was like when I was in school, and I have teenagers myself, so I know all the tricks already. Stern but not mean. Also, I'm fairly sarcastic (i.e., "If I see that ipod out one more time, I'm going to take it from you, delete all your songs and put in Barry Manilow's greatest hits.") and most middle schoolers respond to that. I'm careful though not to intimidate or be mean.

I'm probably nuts, but I love subbing at the MS. It's hard work, I admit, but I like the challenge. Good luck. Just let them know You're the Boss!
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

i-sub-2

Old 09-07-2009, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Arrive early to give yourself time to find out what they use at that school. Do no reinvent the wheel. You are there one day. The school has worked daily to put a plan into place. It will be easier for you to use the plan that is already in place.
i-sub-2 is offline   Reply With Quote