Help

Substitute Teachers

Candy given by teachers and other food issues

>

Nuclear Sub

Candy given by teachers and other food issues
Old 09-20-2009, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Teachers sure use a lot of candy and sweets as rewards on a daily basis.

Then I see what kids choose for lunch in the cafeteria: cheese nachos and strawberry milk for their meal?? This is another form of food poisoning! No wonder kids have ADD, obesity, low resistance to illness, and other health issues.

Hurray for Ann Cooper (The Renegade Lunch Lady @ www.chefann.com). I hope to see balanced, healthy meals appear in school cafeterias in my lifetime.

Nuclear Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

spunky7777

Depends where you teach
Old 09-20-2009, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach in a state where I am not allowed to give any foods of minimal nutritional value--EVER!!
They are allowed 3 party days a year where they can receive some kind of "treat".

Cafeteria food is the same way. Nothing fried...everything baked. I don't eat it, but it doesn't look very appealing.
Doesn't seem to help the obesity issue, though.
spunky7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

ew!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our dist has been working hard to change. Candy machines have been removed everywhere except the high school (and there is only one now) and pop is not allowed for the kids. In some schools not for the teachers either. Most schools have bottle water machines and machines stocked w/ juices.

Our school lunches leave something to be desired but parents are fighting hard here for better. Most of our students are on free or reduced lunch and breakfast so that makes it harder I am sure for the school to afford more than what the gov. pays for.

One thing i have reminded my own children about is that no matter how gross the school lunch is to NEVER make fun of it as for many of the studnets that is the best food they get and the only food they get in a day and to not make them feel badly for eating it. (my kids pack their lunch)

I think parents need to rememberthat - for many this is the ONLY food the kids get all day long...is that the only food you would want your kid to last all day on????

(At our school things I find particularly appauling aside from it generally being unappetizing is the froz pocket dinners loaded w/ salt, the fruit snacks which stick in teeth, and the mainly mexican food served (altho we have high mex pop it gets mushy and even they dont' likeit!)
Nuclear Sub
Old 09-21-2009, 04:45 AM
This message has been deleted by Nuclear Sub.

Nuclear Sub

Old 09-21-2009, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

"I teach in a state where I am not allowed to give any foods of minimal nutritional value--EVER!!
They are allowed 3 party days a year where they can receive some kind of "treat"."

It's great to see that some places have limitations on sweets and junk!

Nuclear Sub

Old 09-21-2009, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've noticed the water bottle machines and absence of candy machines -- this is some improvement, for sure.

Back when I was in school (70s and 80s lol) our tray lunches were pre-arranged -- we picked them up and brought them to the table. No choices outside of the entree selection were permitted.

I think students should study a unit on nutrition. A nutrition course for some parents would be helpful, too, perhaps offering some benefit in exchange for attending.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-26-2009, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Wow, you sure have a lot of opinions about a lot of things. I'm wondering how long you have been subbing. How many years have you been a classroom teacher.

You don't like teachers using candy, you think teachers who yell are bad teachers, what else do you have an opinion about?

I wouldn't want you subbing in my classroom because I can't imagine how judgemental you would be about what you saw, how the kids behaved (if they behaved poorly-and they might--would you think that was because I have no classroom manangement?), my lesson plans.

I'm looking through posts because I like to hear what subs have to say and see if there are any tips so I can make life easier for subs and you have had nothing postive to say. I'm positive I wouldn't want you in my room!
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Nuclear Sub

Old 09-30-2009, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am sorry that my posts do not agree with you; however, they are simply my opinions and observations. You are not obligated to agree with them.

My intent is not to injure others with my opinion, but to pose another side of the issue, perhaps one which is taboo and not aligning with the status quo.

You are free to ignore my posts. :-)