Help

Substitute Teachers

Teacher screaming at students

>

Nuclear Sub

Teacher screaming at students
Old 09-20-2009, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There was a teacher who screamed so loudly at two misbehaving middle school students that a partial hush fell over the full lunchroom. This teacher was barking in their face like a drill sergeant. I thought the teacher looked like an out-of-control ass hat.

I think there is a more effective way to get through to students than screaming at them.

Nuclear Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 09-20-2009, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

i totally agree. teachers yelling at students seems to be out of order more often than not, especially in the elementary schools.
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

Screaming and Reflecting and being honest
Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First, screaming is not good and only works for the moment if it all. Second, it is never a pretty sight to lose it in public. Even the most mild mannered and gentle of those among us have been high jacked by our own emotions at least once in our teaching career. I don't even scream on roller coasters, so I completely shocked myself when I yelled at students a few times very early in my teaching career. The first time was when in the first few days of my student teaching. I was trying repeatedly to explain an assignment and the kids would not stop talking. I stood on a chair and yelled for attention in an angry and frustrated way. I looked like a complete idiot. The few other times I yelled were when I was exhausted and trying every good way I knew how at the time to reach students. I quickly learned to recognize and circumvent my allowing myself to let students make me that angry, thus giving up that control of myself. However, I will not judge another teacher, especially one who I don't actually know based on one incident.

Also, I work with a teacher who is naturally loud and tends to be cranky with her students. Last year a group of rather judgmental interns came in to observe at my school. What they noted was her loudness and her yelling. What they absolutely failed to note was this teachers compassion and love for her students and her innovative and reflective teaching style.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

Nuclear Sub

Old 09-20-2009, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I guess we'll disagree here. :-)

Teachers (or any professional) should have enough self-control to set the example. I can understand a new teacher going through this, but as a habit?

In my opinion, regardless of how passionate and committed a teacher may be, I never find verbal abuse (and yelling is a form of verbal abuse) to be justified by any professional, and I have no shame in judging another for doing so.
Nuclear Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 09-21-2009, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

unfortunately, it's the seasoned/tenured teachers that have nothing to lose and therefore feel they can get away with this behavior.

If it was one of us; we'd never see the light of the classroom again....shows you how messed up the system is

Wouldn't be surprised to find out that this "teacher" has done this before and nobody has stopped them by talking or something...

I hope that those students went home and told their parents so something can be done

yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-26-2009, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've subbed for 3 years and taught for 8 and yes, I have yelled before. Find me someone who has never lost their temper and I'll show you a saint. Have I done it publicly in front of the cafeteria? No. Did I do it as a sub? No.

I'm naturally loud so I often sound like I am yelling when I am not but yes, I have lost my temper and yelled before. I'm human, I've lost my temper and I have yelled. Usually, it's a the end of a long day. I don't get in their faces, I've never lost control or said anything inappropriate but I've yelled. Sue me...
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote