Substitute Teachers

"Requested" Subs

>

Eric7100

Eric7100

"Requested" Subs
Old 09-20-2009, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This past summer, I signed up to substitute in a new (for me) school district. I was approved, and I was put on their list.

While I have been able to secure many positions in the other school districts that I signed up for, every time that I contact this particular sub caller, I am told that all open positions are for requested subs only. It seems that this district is the only district that uses requested subs exclusively. If that is the case, then how can I get my foot in the door? The district approved me, so that must mean that they were willing to give me a chance. But now I've been told otherwise. How did those requested subs become requested subs? At one point in time, they began subbing for them and the school district determined that they liked them enough to request them back. How does a new sub (for that district) secure this same opportunity? We all have to start somewhere. You can't get to know new people if you never let them in. Apparently, this school district forgot about this basic principle, and they must have also forgotten that at one time, they didn't know their requested subs either (until they gave them a chance).

subczy

subczy

our dist...
Old 09-20-2009, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

uses aesop however there are two schools w/in that dist that prefer to use their own call list. Rarely if ever do jobs for those go out over aesop, and if/when they do they are snatched up quick (subs consider it an "easy" school to sub at - strict classroom mgmt and small class size do make it easier, also the kids are generally all meeting state standards at this school)

So, the only way to get in there was to visit w/ them personally. I know b/c I had to do it myself. I took some cards - gave them to the secretary and principal and let them know you know they prefer their own call list however if they ever get in a bind they should give you a try. Sometimes meeting someone face to face so they can see your enthusiasm helps.

Good luck!

MikeRocode

High Class
Old 09-21-2009, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There is one school in my district that's the same way. It's extremely rare that any sub jobs go to "the random sub" line.

In five years of subbing, I've been there only once. I'd like to be there more often but the teachers are already set for their favored subs.
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote
Eric7100

Eric7100

Re: Random Subs
Old 09-21-2009, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Then why do they bother to have you waste your time signing up??

happygal

the way you get in
Old 09-21-2009, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

is by waiting for that off chance when all of their favorites are already booked and they need more bodies. Then there is the off chance that you will be available the day that they finally call you.

You could volunteer at the school, you know, help in a classroom with a teacher, most will gladly take extra help. This is another way for them to get to know you. You could say that you like to keep your skills in shape and that you would like to observe how the regular teacher does things, as well as help the kids.

You could call the secretary and ask if she would put your flyer into the teachers' boxes. If she says yes make one. Then tape some chocolate to the front of each. Then get a thank you card for the secretary (make sure to get her name when you have her on the phone) make sure to give the secretary chocolates too. I know this sounds mad but it does work. If they exclaim in your prescence just say, "pretty much everyone loves chocolate" Do it now before the holidays set in on us.

good luck.

Oh, and leave a short but useful note at the end of each day subbing. always leave a clean room. Stack chairs if you think that is something they regularly do there, etc. Be strict with the kids but be kind to them at the same time.

happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

mstngmom

requested subs
Old 09-21-2009, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You might want to try this. Since I tried this I have been getting called about once a week for multiple day assignments. I had one assignment for today and tomorrow, and I have another one lined up for 3 days next week.

Here is what I did. I have a background in science, so I emailed all the science teachers in the schools in which I want to work. In my email I told them about myself and let them know when I am available to work. I also informed them that I would be willing to work outside of my content area (more jobs) . Before school started, I also went around to all the schools in which I was interested in subbing and let them know that I was interested and asked to be put on the list.
Sometimes it helps to get your name out there. One teacher even referred me to another teacher.
I sub for more than one district, some use AESOP and some do not. This works for me regardless.

I also have some friends that teach and I let it be known to them that I sub, so they can help you get the word out. I have gotten all of my jobs except for one by networking and putting my name out there.
It really works!
If only I could get it to work to my advantage for a contract position, that would be great.
mstngmom is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

It's only 1 of the 18 schools
Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

"...Then why do they bother to have you waste your time signing up??"

As indicated, this is only one of 18 schools in the district. I have no problems getting jobs at the other 17.

Here you sign up once at the district office to sub for all the schools in the district.
Eric7100

Eric7100

Re: Random Subs
Old 09-22-2009, 01:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Well, in my case, it is the whole district!

MikeRocode

Try somewhere else
Old 09-22-2009, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Improve your odds. Try signing up for a few other nearby districts.

I started by signing up with three districts, cut that to two after the first year and by the third year I was working steady in the single district I currently work.

bklynteachr

Old 09-24-2009, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

go to the school that you want to sub in and give them your resume in person. My feet are killing me from going from school to school in the entire enighborhood but i have to tell you its worth it. I chose where I want to go, and since the payroll secretary sees you, she'll remember who you are1!!!!

bklynteachr is offline   Reply With Quote