Substitute Teachers

make a girl sob .....

>

signed out

signed out

make a girl sob .....
Old 12-18-2009, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was at my own child's school attending her party as a parent. When it came time to pass out the treats (I think every kid brought some) one little girl uncovers a platter of sandwiches. I said oh, what a nice idea. THen, it dawned on me - our dist. requires food brought by kids to be store bought. Yes, the parents had to buy all the stuff to make them, but they had already been assembled. I looked at the teacher and felt the "it has to be store bought" words falling out of my mouth. The little girl started to cry. Then teacher and I realized those sandwiches had also been sittin gout the entire day (6+ hrs) w/ no refridgeration - for ham and cheese - that is probably not a good situation. TEacher told her she couldnt' serve them and why and she sobbed in my arms b/c I was standing right there. Boy did I ever feel bad - especially since I was the one who said something.

I kept thinking, what if I had kep tmy mouth shut and just told my kid not eat it. And the other mom who was there, who I just met, sort of said that. Then as I told her, I sub for these kids, I am friends w/ lots of their parents, I couldn't let a child eat those. I reminded her about the REASON for the food rule and that's b/c of our community high ratio of homes that are crack houses- do you really want your kid eating something out of a crack house? The other mom says - I am sure she is okay - I said ok your kid can have one. THen she laughed and said I see your point. lol

Poor kid. I let her pass out my dd's stuff (my dd had just done it yesterday for her bday treats anyway) and when the little girls mom showed up her and the teacher had a consult in the office. *sigh* I hope she understands. I know we all grew up on the treats our peers mothers made us, but in this day and age we just can't do that anymore!

I am so glad I wasn't the sub and Had to deal w/ the parents.

grav_def

Old 12-18-2009, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Awww, that's too bad.

But YOU don't have anything to feel bad about. That policy--no homemade food--is state law here. And you were just trying to uphold policy and keep everyone safe. The girl's parents should have thought it through better. Even if they weren't aware of the policy, they certainly should have figured out that you can't leave cold cuts unrefrigerated all day and then serve them to children!

And really, I make kids cry on a pretty regular basis. It's part of the job. Not my favorite part, but a necessary one...
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiling Sub

Poor little girl :(
Old 12-18-2009, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can picture the scene in my head It breaks my heart when something like this happens because the younger children really do not understand why they can't hand out their treat when everyone else can. I think the way they see it is that they did what they were supposed to do and now they are being punished It was so nice of you to let her hand out your daughter's treats

I had a similar experience with a book fair. I was subbing for the Librarian and took a 1st grade class down to the Book Fair to buy their books. One little girl handed me her envelope and asked me which books she could buy. I opened the envelope to find $1.50 in the envelope. Well, there weren't any books that cost $1.50 and I had to tell her that she didn't have enough to buy any of the books that day BUT she could make a Wish List for her Mom and Dad (the book fair was open during parent/teacher conferences). As soon as I said that, tears started streaming down her face, and I felt awful. I didn't have any money on me at the time to buy a book for her and I didn't have the authority to just give her a book. I went over to the cashiers (Parent helpers) to see if we could do anything for her, and luckily one of the moms that was there chipped in another couple of dollars so that she could get a book. She was so happy and so was I
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

Simple Simon

So very sad....
Old 12-19-2009, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

.... on so many levels. I can understand about not serving food that's been sitting for hours at room temperature (although things like bread, ham and cheese have so much preservative in them these days that they'd probably be fine) but to have regulations outlawing the bringing of home-prepared food is almost tragic.
Simple Simon is offline   Reply With Quote

wnlbutterfly

Old 12-23-2009, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Look at it this way...if you hadn't said anything and the children ate this food that was sitting out that long and several got food poisoning (my child has had that and let me tell you it is AWFUL to watch a child with it), how would you feel then? You would be saying "if only I had said something".

Yes, you made the child cry, well, actually the parent did for not following the rules. How many parents would have been having a fit if their child had gotten sick because the rules weren't followed in the classroom?

Oddly, we don't have that rule here, don't know why. Although only one child brought homebaked cookies. We had a sad Christmas party (I used to be room mom for my son, guess I really went all out). As a sub this was the smallest party I have ever seen. If I hadn't brought gifts and treats it wouldn't have been more than a snack time. But the kids didn't seem to notice and I was grateful for that!

wnlbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
KenzSis28
Old 12-30-2009, 05:33 PM
This message has been deleted by KenzSis28.

KenzSis28

I agree
Old 12-30-2009, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with everyone i think you did the right thing.If all of the children got food poisoning that would NOT have been good.
KenzSis28 is offline   Reply With Quote