Making money during the Christmas break? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Making money during the Christmas break?

>

longtimesub

Making money during the Christmas break?
Old 12-18-2009, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Are you planning to work during the Christmas break?

My break starts on Monday 12/21 and ends on Friday 1/1.

I have applied for several seasonal retail jobs...But, none of the stores called me for an interview...I will probably end up not working at all during the break...

This week has not been too good...I ended up working 3 1/2 days...Last year, around the same time, I worked 4 days...

I failed to get any job for today, the last day before the break...I actually saw a few jobs for today on Aesop...But, they all disappeared before I could take them...I thought I would have something for today...

Have a merry Christmas and a happy New Year...

longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 12-18-2009, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I worked TWO days this week. Last year I only worked 1.5 during this week, but last year we had a lot of snow and many schools were closed the entire week, and none was open more than 2 days.

I'm going to visit my mom, though, so working isn't really an option. I do some tutoring and might work for an hour on Jan. 2 (I'll be back then), but mostly I'm just going to try to relax and enjoy the time off and forget that I really can't afford time off.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

A good advice.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but mostly I'm just going to try to relax and enjoy the time off and forget that I really can't afford time off.
_______________________________ _______________

I will probably do the same thing...Try to relax and forget that I am in no position to take time off...
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

a good place to go is...
Old 12-18-2009, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

jewlery stores. In our area they are always looking for seasonal help and usually just have a calendar in the back - you write down the hours you want to work and so it is still flexible.

Anohter place that is hiring seasonal workers is the grocery store. Particularly the deli and bakery trying to get everyone's orders filled. So you might try there.

Good luck!!

Rowe

Finding A JOB Nowadays...
Old 12-18-2009, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Don't even get me started on the job market...

Even as I'm getting a steady flow of sub jobs, I'm looking for part-time jobs to greatly increase my income, mainly in retail (commision sales). Substitute teaching doesn't pay anything. And so, I have been applying to many different companies, and I've been on interviews. However, I'm amazed at the lack of consideration and disorganization on the part of employers and department heads who conduct interviews with applicants and neglect to let applicants know whether or not they're being considered for a position! And believe it or not, this is happening in fine retail stores where "providing the best customer service" is supposed to be a priority. I also don't understand why it is necessary to be interviewed by three people for some sales associate positions. It is excessive. Last year, I was interviewd by two people for a position at a department store. The first two people who conducted the interview expressed an interest in me, and they even thought I was qualified enough for the position to be interviewed by the last person: a department manager. But because the department manager apparently didn't respond well to the way the interview went, I didn't get the job. I was extremely frustrated.

And this week, I received a letter from the manager of another retail company stating something to the effect of "my background" (meaning - my 8 years of substitute-teaching experience) "wasn't a good fit for their company". What? YOU SAW MY BACKGROUND ON MY RESUME!

I'm very frustrated with my job search in general. I think the managers of some retailers are unnecessarily stalling and taking their sweet time to hire people. If they are not looking to hire, then why post job openings? Why waste people's time? It is just plain foolish.

Last edited by Rowe; 12-18-2009 at 08:39 PM..
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote