Looked into the archives; remember the science fair grades? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Looked into the archives; remember the science fair grades?

>

Kataqueens

Looked into the archives; remember the science fair grades?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I read about that debacle I had with the MS that banned me for giving out science fair grades. In retrospect, I shouldn't have gotten so comfortable with the staff at that school; look how it backfired on me. However, I learned my lesson, and am very strict about both myself and students touching things on a teacher's desk. I forgot to mention this, but last week I was subbing for a Science teacher during Report Card day. I thought to myself, 'oh boy, here we go again,' and questioned whether I should hide the RC's or just tell the students to wait until their teacher returns. The 7th grade A.P. explained that she would talk to the students about the RC's, so my worries were abated. Before PM homeroom, a student monitor delivered the RC's and told me that the A.P. said it was O.K. for me to distribute them to the homeroom. I asked him if he was sure she said that, and he confirmed it. New worry set in. Luckily, another teacher who knew the kids came in to help me, and I told her what had happened to me last year and that she was free to hand everything out. Problem averted.

What had happened to me last year left me a little neurotic, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

getting comfortable w/ staff
Old 01-09-2010, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

"In retrospect, I shouldn't have gotten so comfortable with the staff at that school; look how it backfired on me."
I've been thinking about this part of your post since I read it a few weeks ago. I have to say that I try to stay alert - not completely relaxing - while on the job. The minute I sit down, ignore bad behavior or get lazy in anyway - someone walks in! Subbing is so solitary. That random moment someone walks by (or IN) is my one moment to "shine" - or look like a slacker! I always hope I'm caught doing something 'teacherly'.
Yesterday at an HS, the boys were just too rowdy and I got tired of battling it and in the last few minutes of class I ignored their fake sword fighting. Right then the neighbor teacher stepped in and scolded them. -and caught me being a 'slacker' or lazy or whatever. I felt like it tainted my image at this school. I'm fairly new so I'm still working to establish my rep as a fab sub.
I find it nearly impossible to be constantly vigilant!
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote