Help

Substitute Teachers

Bummed out

>

short_bread

Bummed out
Old 12-21-2009, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been a long term substitute as a paraprofessional in an elementary school since September. The woman I have been filling in for had a brain aneurysm while she was on a plane to chicago. She is the sweetest, nicest, woman you will ever meet. When I started the job, it was completely up in the air as to when she was going to return, or if she was even going to be returning this year. She is an older woman, and so I thought, perhaps, this time, this position may work out for me. Maybe, she will stay home for at least the year, or maybe she will retire.

But no...when I got in today, the principal told me that she is going to be returning after the christmas holidays, but only working 4 hours per day. The principal offered to let me work the other 2, but 26 dollars a day is not exactly going to pay the bills.

Now, i completely understand the situation. If I were her, I would come back as soon as I could (with the economy being what it is). She needs the money even more than I do because she now has medical bills up the ying yang to pay as well as the expenses her husband accrued while he stayed out in Chicago to be with her. She is a sweetheart and she deserves to have her job back... but that leaves me... once again, back at the beginning.

I graduated in May 2008, and I have still not been able to find a full time position. I am getting so fed up with dedicating my time, getting my hopes up, and then being kicked to the curb. When is someone going to give me a chance? When are things going to go my way?

I am sure there are a lot of people asking those same questions...

Im just so bummed. I was really settling in, I really liked everyone I worked with, and I love the kids, now that is all going to go bye bye, and I am back to where I started...again. It seems like I am never going to find a job, because everyone is clinging to theirs so badly. Its starting to make me wonder if this is even all worth it.

Kate

short_bread is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 12-22-2009, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

so sad to have to hear the bad news...yes, it does seem like a merry go round of subbing--long term---subbing......is this your first long term sub position?

I am not/never will be a long term sub (don't a degree in this field) only certified (and am not looking for permanent job in this field) but while subbing I've come across alot and I mean ALOT of subs who've done LT jobs for years before they've gotten their own room....

and you know what---once they got their rooms---POOF!!! they were pink slipped the same year---go figure!!! yeah, it's the last one in first one out thing....

it seems like you need to stick it out...wait and see what happens after the new year...
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Things will get better
Old 12-22-2009, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hey, at least you've had the experience and consistency of a LT assignment; I've been subbing for over a year and have my Master's degree, yet am still per diem.

I've heard through the grapevine that a lot of teachers, at least in NYC, will be taking a buyout from the mayor to retire early. I hope the rumor is true. Hang in there, we'll both be rewarded in the end!
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

wnlbutterfly

Old 12-23-2009, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A lot of this has to do with the economy. Right now our school has to cut $2 million from the budget after already having big cuts last year. They are currently talking about closing the small school and merging the kids into the other grade schools, which means 6 teachers will be losing their jobs, not to mention the rest of the staff. I am betting this will happen.
wnlbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote