LT sub, stating tomorrow, no warning, no sub plans. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

LT sub, stating tomorrow, no warning, no sub plans.

>

Sagecat

LT sub, stating tomorrow, no warning, no sub plans.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I agreed to take a longterm sub position for a Kindergarten class. While I am a licensed (new) teacher, I am not licensed or trained in Kindergarten.

I agreed to take the position about six weeks ago for a classroom teacher who is having a baby. When I agreed to take the position, I was told I would be starting on January 19th for a period for two weeks before another sub was going to take over for the duration of the leave. I was also going to spend the two previous days with the classroom teacher to learn how her room works and what I would be expected to do before taking over.

Sounds good!

Then I got a phone call at 10:30AM this morning: The teacher had her baby yesterday so I have to start the position tomorrow!

No plans, no prep, no training, and no idea where to start. While I am confident in my ability, I do admit this is far from an ideal situation. I am expected to be a first-year teacher in a school I have only been to once ever with only 23 hours to figure out how to do my job at the level of a professional.

If you have any advice, I would be most thankful for it.

Sagecat is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

advice...
Old 01-03-2010, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

See if you can get in contact with any of the other Kinder teachers (if there are any). Most kinders have similar routines and other teachers will be able to help you with the teacher you are subbing for.

Have you subbed in Kinder before? Kinder can be tough but here are some tips from me!

Ask the children what their teacher's quiet signal is. If they don't know...or they say their teacher doesn't have one...teach them one! One two three, eyes on me usually is good at that age. Make sure that when you are completing an activity and moving on to another....give the kids fair warning to when they are going to finish. (you have one minute left then its time to clean up).

Call small groups of kids up to carpets and to their seats. I like to call them by girls or boys, types of shoes (tie or velcro), colors/patterns on clothing. Make sure you always recognize when a student does a good job...or does something nice for someone else ("I really like how _____ is cleaning up her desk!") Kinder kids love to be praised!

When its lunchtime, call kids up by cold lunch, hot lunch, alternate, pb and j etc. (more small groups) When its snack time, have the kids sit in their seats and say please and thank you...give them a choice of snacks if you can.

Have a break to use the bathroom OFTEN! Before lunch, before and after recess, before and after specials.

Give the kids a little talk about walking in lines in the hallway...or if there is a fire drill. You are there to keep them safe and have fun with them. They cannot be safe or have fun if they don't listen to you like they would Mrs._______. They must listen to your directions at all times

Was that good advice???
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

bubbleepink

I did a 7 week placement in Kindergarten
Old 01-03-2010, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have sooo many Kinder activities that can hold you over for at least the first few days until you get your bearings in. THink back to your kinder days and how everything was a song! Simon says is a great way to settle the kids or move them in a differnt direction. "Hi my name is Joe! and I work in a botton factory one day..." another great song/singalong. Have sheets ready for colouring.

Contact me via private message if you would like anything.
bubbleepink is offline   Reply With Quote

Sagecat

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2010, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Bubblepink:

Anything you have would be great. At least it'd let me have things for the kids to do while I try and sort everything out. I can't find a way to send you a private message, but if you have anything you can send to me, you can send it to my G-Mail account at sageinjapan@gmail.com

Thanks a ton!!

Sagecat

Yes! Very helpful!
Old 01-03-2010, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Radsub:

Thank so much for the advice. If I was teaching 1st - 6th I'd be fine, but Kinder is a whole new world for me. I'll do all the things you suggest.

bubbleepink

You have mail
Old 01-03-2010, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sagecat I have sent you an email with the stuff you wanted Good luck!

Bertie

suddenly a K teacher
Old 01-03-2010, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I second the advice to contact another K teacher in the building, they will be happy to help.....or if possible spend this evening with the actual teacher. This birth has obviously caught her by surprise too, but she will still want things to go well for her "kiddles". And though she may not be leaving you 2 weeks of plans, hopefully her plans from the last 4 months are available for you. You can learn a lot about her schedule and pacing from those.

You need to know a quiet signal, some of her catch phrases for lining up or clean up time; I have songs and jingles for these if you like. Ask how she chooses daily helpers, what are the jobs, what she does for birthdays, her calendar procedures, etc.

Is the other sub still taking over in February? If so, you aren't going to change the status quo much, but also you can't be her, don't try. Just be the best "you" that you can. You need to get through the first day, when you can spend the rest of the day/evening learning where things are in the classroom and locating her materials, plan book, etc.

You can handle it like a first day in Sept, doing "getting to know you" activities, learning names, reviewing procedures with the kids like cleanup, taking turns, lining up, hallway behavior, bathroom breaks.

I'd put have a short classroom meeting to introduce yourself, and give them nametags. Then I'd run the calendar activity, (most every K and 1st grade does days of the week, months of the year, the date, the weather, counting days in school so far. You can do a mini unit on the months since this is a new year and the months start all over again. Perhaps sing the months with them sitting, and have them hop up on their birth month. I like to talk about New Year traditions like fireworks, Auld Lang Syne, old man/baby new year, resolutions, noisemakers. Noisemakers, crackers, and new year hats are cheap right now, so you can get one for each child and celebrate the new year.

If you choose a great story to read and some follow up activities, do a little review of the sounds and sight vocab they've learned so far, some math (counting, shapes) (maybe small groups for this, and some worksheets) a planned snack time and review, and your day will come quickly to an end. You can breathlessly plan for the rest of the week.

I'm sure the admin realizes they've given you a difficult first day but if you manage it, you'll come up smelling like a rose. Good luck, have fun!
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

candidcath

Kindergarten in the morning :)
Old 01-03-2010, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Relax and enjoy the kindergarteners! It is my favorite grade. They are usually so happy about everything that I find it really uplifting. I am substituting right now and I feel the best advice I could give is get there very early tomorrow. It will give you time to familiarize yourself with the room and school in general before everyone starts coming in to "help" you. Bring some stickers with you or find them in the room and use them for good behavior. They can put them on a chart in the room if available or just put them on their shirt until you are able to set something up in the room. Another teacher in a nearby classroom will probably be able to tell you which students would be good to pull aside and ask various questions of during the day to help you out where needed. You could also look at the book case within the classroom or school library to have a few ready to use in between your activities or lessons. The children could act out a story or do other activities with the books. There may be an aide (for part of the day) that will be in to help out so write down questions you may have for them to find out for you.

Greet the students at the door as they enter with a smile. Their personalities will be evident! They may have art smocks or name tags they can wear for you as you get to know them. There will be some sort of system for attendance cards or snack cards or something that the first student in can tell you about. Have a few games or manipulatives on the floor and/or table for them to play with as everyone arrives. There should be morning announcements on the speaker or tv (ask the secretary when you arrive and confirm the time). A couple of minutes before use a signal (bell, handclap, etc) to quiet the children to clean up the toys and gather on the rug or where they usually do for announcements. Have your name written (some children will be able to read it). Introduce yourself and tell them the wonderful news. The secretary or principal will have some details for you to share. If you have no materials because of the sudden birth, fold or cut paper in half ahead and have the children make cards for their teacher to congratulate on the birth. Brainstorm what some good ideas and pictures could be. Brainstorm and write words for them to be able to write as their message. Use it as a lesson in writing and practice some of their site words. Have a great day and other staff members will help you get yourself organized. Best of luck!
candidcath is offline   Reply With Quote

Sagecat

Old 01-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you all for the great advice!! I feel a lot better about tomorrow. With all of the suggestions and ideas you have offered, I know I'll be able to make it through the day on a positive note! And really, once I get through the first day everything will fall into place.

I'll let you know how it turned out as soon as I get home.

Till then~!

bubbleepink

And....
Old 01-04-2010, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

How was your first day??