Help

Substitute Teachers

did anyone work today?

>

ciounoi

did anyone work today?
Old 01-04-2010, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

First day back to school today - but i'm not working! One of the teachers told me "As a teacher you'd much rather come to school on your deathbed than miss the first day back!"

I'm assuming that if you worked today, you might be an LTS. :-) Did anyone else work today? How did it go?

I'm spending my day off today buying clothing, which I desperately need, so it's not a total waste...

ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Christabelle

Old 01-04-2010, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No work today. I thought there probably wouldn't be. I'll probably get some work done around the house.
Christabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Super Sub

Old 01-04-2010, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Today is a teacher work day here. The kids go back tomorrow. I didn't think I'd see any jobs this week unless someone was snowed in somewhere. Instead I'm covering a recess duty position for a guy who had a heart attack over break. It's only about 3 hours a day but it's more than I expected to get for the week. I already have two whole days of the next week book though.
Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

does a half day count? :)
Old 01-04-2010, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm working a 1/2 day this afternoon in 4th grade. Two weeks is a long time to be off and my bod is protesting. I hope I remember how to do it!
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

not me...
Old 01-04-2010, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I got a call at 545 am...but I was exhausted and emotional from moving this weekend...plus I start my new semester of Grad classes today. I declined the job!

RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 01-04-2010, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I passed up 3 jobs on AESOP for today I had a dr.'s appt. I'm currently in my 3rd week of bronchitis!!! YUCK!!!!!!

Am pissed off bec. doc. told me to hold off for another 2-3 days...oh well....there will be other jobs
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Nope
Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I got one call at 7:45 for an 8:15 start. Sounds to me like the teacher's car broke down, or else why would I get called so late on the first day back? I'm normally flooded with calls either the night before or the morning of an assignment, so I think this (late) call on the first day was an anomaly. And I'm making a concerted effort to only sub in schools that I know, leaving me with more time to visit schools and work on the job search for next year.
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote
LynneLC

LynneLC

Did not work today
Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Did not receive any calls for today. I periodically checked the system and finally saw a job on the system about 20 minutes ago for tomorrow. Before vacation I signed up for a 2-day job for this Wednesday and Thursday. I guess things will get moving again soon.

COSub

Old 01-04-2010, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Nothing today but only one of my 2 districts is back. I scheduled a couple of doctor/dentist appts. for this week because I knew it would be light. But I still check Smartfind...out of habit!
COSub is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 01-04-2010, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I worked today. One of the teachers who requests me regularly called me yesterday and asked me to come in for her all week because her grandfather is dying.

(I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I really hate the fact that I'm dependent on horrible things happening to other people for my livelihood.)

Last edited by grav_def; 01-04-2010 at 08:22 PM..
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

Super Sub

Old 01-04-2010, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thought I'd be working tomorrow but now they've cancelled school.
I think it's a combination of too cold and not enough streets cleared. We'll see if we have school on Wednesday.
Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

nicpen

Old 01-04-2010, 10:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Nothing today and nothing is scheduled yet for the week (or the month, for that matter!)

I saw a couple of half days come up on Aesop for Friday morning at the same school. They must be having and IEP. It's not where I really like to sub, so I passed on it. Hopefully, something else will come up, but I have a lot of housework and other things to catch up on, so I can find things to do!
nicpen is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 01-05-2010, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I agree - they do NOT want to miss the first day back unless it is a real emergency. I do have a PPS day scheduled for Friday (where I move to different classrooms to cover meetings) but I figure anything else this week is a bonus.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

COSub

Old 01-05-2010, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Last night I got 2 calls for a half day today and full one on Friday. Computers today for Jr. High....should be easy???
COSub is offline   Reply With Quote

wuttadeal

January is slow....
Old 01-05-2010, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Last year I did not get called for most of the month of January! In talking with other subs, I learned that at least in my state, Jan. is the slowest month for subs, not sure why.
wuttadeal is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

Yes
Old 01-05-2010, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

and I have jobs for three days this week already. One teacher was out on vacation still (European trip) and the other is a teacher out sick.

And one of the teachers I talked with today said something similar, as it's so difficult to be out of the classroom, they'd rather come in when sick. She did say, however, that admin is telling teachers to stay home when they're ill. Admin doesn't want to hear complaints from the parents about teachers getting a classroom of kids sick.

On a side note, I thought Monday would he Horrible, but it wasn't, and it was a HS Spanish class (and I don't speak Spanish). The teacher left them enough work (core block classes which means each class is 1 1/2 hours long) and I gave them enough leeway that the day went Really Well.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

nicpen

Old 01-05-2010, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Well, I ended up working in SDC today which was fine. I've subbed in this class numerous times. Apparently the teacher was out yesterday as well. She often contacts me ahead of time but didn't for yesterday. Another sub had accepted for today but couldn't cancel on Aesop (our district doesn't allow cancellations) so she called and left a message at the school. The secretary called me right before the kids and I were headed to school and fortunately I was available.
nicpen is offline   Reply With Quote

YILuv2Teach

Today but not yesterday
Old 01-05-2010, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I didn't expect anything for the Monday after break, so I used it to stalk aesop. It ended up being a very productive day. I picked up 4 different jobs for later this month and the job for today!
YILuv2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Nothing....still nothing
Old 01-05-2010, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Not even an annoying 8am phone call! This is why I can't sub much longer; the inconsistency leaves me home doing nothing on days when I want to be productive. It's also a strain on my wallet. Ughhh...I have my cell next to me and I'm refreshing Smartfind Express every minute in the hopes that something pops up for this week.
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote
musicteach7

musicteach7

Not back yet
Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

My district isn't back until Monday. I am a LTS for 2 weeks when we get back, then I'm back to the hunt :-(

Txgal

Unexpectedly...... yes!
Old 01-06-2010, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Got a call at 10:00 p.m. Sunday night to cover our K-8 level AEP. Not my first choice of assignments but hey, its a days work. Turns out, the guy had apparently been job hunting and got hired on in another district over the break. So now, I have a full week's worth of work and the district has to decide how they will replace him... LTS vs hire. I have a hard enough time being the heavy in regular class but I'm definitely growing a backbone now. Plus I'm perfecting ways to defuse emotional hormones (always helpful). Will be interesting to see where this situation will take me...
Txgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Lynette12

Lynette12

Old 01-07-2010, 03:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I worked. It was a 1/2 grade split class. The students kept asking where their teacher was. But it was a pretty good day overall.