Help

Substitute Teachers

Help...

>

tyekayleen

Help...
Old 01-04-2010, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently a substitute teacher, which is AWESOME! Problem is.. I finished college early so I am 20 and look like it. I have several problems with this situation.

1. I feel as though some of the other teachers do not respect me because of my age. They do not think I can do this job - but I can! It seems as though once I do sub for a teacher, they see my ability... but many seem to judge me simply on my age. I finished the SAME college classes as everyone else. WITH HONORS! I am good at my job, I love my job. I wish they could see this.

2. Whenever I teach 4 grade and on... I am constantly being "hit on" by the boys. I have to constantly watch what is said and have had to unfortunately get principals involved. It's annoying, frustrating, and disruptive.

3. I feel like the upper grades (6-8) just won't take me seriously. I feel like I end up being much more of a nag with these grades because they are rude and do not follow my directions and it becomes very stressful by the end of the day. I've tried numerous ways of keeping color of them and rewarding them for their GOOD behavior... it just doesn't really seem to be making a difference with them. I don't want to constantly be on their cases... but what else do I do?

Help!

tyekayleen is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel your pain. I am 24 but I look like I am 14... I'm also very short, so that doesn't help. Luckily (I guess) I am plain and don't do makeup, so I don't have many problems with boys. It does happen from time to time.

For the kids... I will often be asked if I'm still a teenager... or if I'm REALLY the teacher because I look like a student, etc, etc, etc. I just try not to let my physical appearance rule the day. I AM in charge, whether I look 14 or not, and I make sure the kids know it. In general, I've had success with this... when I don't, I just have to figure it out because that's just what I gotta do at this point in the game!

For the teachers... it does bug me when teachers call me "honey" or tell me I look like a student. Again, it does happen, and I don't think it's going to change anytime soon. But not all teachers do this, most of them are very grateful that I do a good job. And seriously, my age is not the only thing they assume sometimes, either... teachers often think that I'm a certified elementary teacher who can't get a job, which is not true on both counts. So take the good with the bad, I guess, and in the meantime just try and dress like you're older!
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

with respect to teachers, yes, there will be those that are just plain rude and nasty (it doesn't matter if you look young or not)...rude is rude...don't let their attitude get you down...you are competent and capable of doing your job....remember, they're not paying you...the district is and they weren't the ones that requested you; so it shouldn't matter what they think. Do a great job and get called back a lot (Naysayers begone!!!!)

what matters is other teachers who want a good sub see what you can do and will request you.

as for looking you and getting hit upon, make double/triple sure you're not putting out vibes or anything of that nature. I understand it's tough because you are 20 and you look like somebody's daughter.

as for dressing; dress up (wear slacks; jackets; accessories like
necklaces); if you can a minimal amount of makeup---foundation and little blush; neutral lipstick. anything to make you look older. If you look as young as you say, any color or red lipstick will make you look younger

as for subbing, how long have you been doing this? MS is reallly tough and they take a lot out of you. You need to build a reputation with the students---they don't see you as the teacher but more as a friend or somebody they sit next to. it was tough for me too when I first started out (disrespect; foul mouth; kids walking out; back talk) but over the years the kids from the younger grades got to know me and saw me often that by the time they got to 8th grade we were on good terms. (Remember: this takes time it won't happen overnight)

hey, I've been doing this now 3 1/2 going on 4 yrs. and it never gets easier
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 01-05-2010, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel for you on the looking young thing! I subbed for a bit right out of college, and was on lunch line duty once, when a student asked me if I'd like to get ahead of him in line. He was so embarassed when I told him I was actually there in such-and-such teacher's place. All I can say is dress "old".
Lakeside is online now   Reply With Quote

tyekayleen

Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do my best to dress as old as possible. It's tough to find affordable, nice clothing though. I guess I'll just have to build up my wardrobe over time. I appreciate all of your help! You're right.. middle school is tough! I swore up and down when I started subbing that I would not go higher than 5th. Although, I have been in Middle/Jr. High more than Elementary! Imagine that! haha They're a fun age group - just so full of attitude and hormones. It's very exhausting. All I can do is just keep on truckin' and continue to show them who is boss and show teachers I am highly capable Thanks again guys.

Oh, and PS. teachers if you're reading this - "Are you the substitute or a student? You look SOOO young." is not a compliment haha

tyekayleen is offline   Reply With Quote
musicteach7

musicteach7

I look young too
Old 01-05-2010, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also look young. I am almost 24 but am 5'1. I hate when people make comments like "you look like a child!". Umm, I don't say "Wow, you look too old to still be standing!"

P.S- If you are one of those people who makes comments like these to younger teachers....STOP! No one appreciates it!

I wear makeup and fix my hair everyday. I fell I must do this, otherwise I look even younger. I only spend about 5 minutes on my makeup and think its worth it.