Substitute Teachers

PE subbing--any ideas?

>

barbara s

barbara s

PE subbing--any ideas?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just took two days next week subbing in elementary PE, PK (4-year-olds) through 5th grade. I've never subbed in PE before, but hey, there's always a first time. Got any ideas or resources for good activities or games? I'm told the teacher is pretty good about leaving info, and I'll ask my kids, of course. But I could use some tips and suggestions. Also, I could use ideas on how to control or calm down out-of-control kids. I subbed in one of these classes as the classroom teacher, and the kids did not behave no matter what I did. So I'm a little worried about their ability to behave in such an active setting. Thanks!

Rerun

PE for Pre-5
Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is a hoot, most of the time. The first time I subbed in PE, I sweated bullets, but that night I found a few web sites on games and activities. The older students may be in the middle of some unit (basketball, floor hockey, etc) so you may have to do some reading on these types of units. The younger kids typically do games like many of the tag games. These are fun. Remember, the first several minutes will be taken up doing stretches and exercises, followed by some running like a couple of laps or you could do races, from one end of the gym to the other. I often do "color races" where they all line up at the end line and you call a color. Anyone wearing that color races down to the other end and back. Enjoy it. Subbing PE kept me teaching. Also, nobody participates in stocking feet (danger) and you need to show up looking like a gym teacher. Go buy a $3 whistle. Good luck.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 01-08-2010, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They CAN get out of hand really quickly! Remind them of the rules beforehand and tell them that you will sit the entire class down if they're not playing safely (although things can also get out of hand when they're sitting on the floor, too - be prepared to keep them busy; talk to them, tell them a story, lead them in stretching, etc.), Also enlist the support of the classrom teacher... you can ask at the beginning of class if there's any privilege you can hang over their heads. Shameless, I know, but you might need to do that, especially with potentially rough classes in gym!

In the way of games, just use your judgement - tag, four corners, kickball, etc. Just no dodgeball. Apparently that is taboo... but with good reason!
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 01-08-2010, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

whenever I've subbed for Pe the teacher has left ideas of what games are allowed;; most will give you about 3-4 ideas to use on the students. one time I subbed for PE the students were learning about playing soccer
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

tyekayleen

Old 01-08-2010, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That was the same for me. When I subbed for PE the teacher had all of the games planned out. I can't imagine that they would make you come prepared with activities for the kids. There is usually a little warm up time & stretching and then some sort of activity. Good luck though! I think I lost my voice by the end of the day.. haha

tyekayleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Lynette12

Lynette12

PE ideas
Old 01-08-2010, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One thing I did when I taught was typed up 6 to 8 "activities" you can tape around the walls. Like: Jump rope or sit ups. You could also put a picture of what they are to do on the typed paper. Then you play the music and about 3-5 are at each "activity" doing what the paper says. Every 3 minutes or so stop the music, then the students have to go clockwise to the next activity. As long as the music is playing they will do that activity. It is fun. You could also have one or two areas where students can rest and lay down during the 3-5 minutes if some of the activities are too tiring.

Another fun game is "steal the bacon" Kids love it, but it can get out of hand with some groups as it is very exciting. Look it up on the internet as it is too hard to explain here.
eazy555

eazy555

no dodgeball
Old 01-08-2010, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree no dodge ball. I was in high school pe last week and made the mistake of walking out on the killing floor, took one straight to the balls, instant sick stomach.