Help

Substitute Teachers

Teacher texts students

>

CaliSub

Teacher texts students
Old 01-15-2010, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just finished a 2 day HS assignment where both days the teacher was texting a trusted student asking him to remind me of things already in her lesson plan, and slight changes (after the student secretly sent her a text asking for help on a worksheet problem). I saw the texts and even called her from her classroom phone (the student gave me her cell number) in hope of speaking to her directly, but received only her cell voice mail. Am I wrong to be a bit irritated that she chose to communicate through her student, rather than call me in the classroom? Is it even common for teachers and students to exchange text messages, or am I just behind the times?

CaliSub is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 01-15-2010, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I agree, it's totally unacceptable. It's incredibly disrespectful to you. It also sends some really inappropriate messages to the student, such as you've got more authority than the current teacher, and by the way it's cool if you text during class. I wouldn't go back.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

Barclay

I couldn't agree more
Old 01-15-2010, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

this is inappropriate, disrespectful and downright rude!!! Think about the message this is sending to the other students as well! I would find a way to make sure the principal knew about it, and like pp said, I wouldn't go back.
Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliSub

Old 01-15-2010, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for taking the time to respond grav_def. I was thinking exactly the same thing. On the outside I was thankful to the student for relaying the messages, but on the inside I was fuming! All of her periods are really good students and I enjoyed working with them, but yes, I may have to put her on my do not return list.
CaliSub is offline   Reply With Quote

KLSSwimmer

Old 01-15-2010, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow - this would NEVER fly at my school. She should have never text a student with instructions for you. Ridiculous!

KLSSwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 01-16-2010, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

no, you;re not behind the times...it's called email to another teacher and get it to you or to the sec'y...does this teacher realize this could end up terrible for that person if it ever got out????

never mind that it's only lesson plans and updates!!!!! but then, I betcha 100% this "teacher" has tenure and doesn't really care one way or another how it looks....
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Hcaet77

Sure it was the teacher?
Old 01-16-2010, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I usually like to give students the benefit of the doubt, but are you sure those texts were from the actual teacher and not some prank? Even good kids have their sneaky moments (especially with a sub).
Hcaet77 is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

Rude is the word I'd have used also
Old 01-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Barclay is right. It extremely rude to electronically look over your shoulder while you're trying to do your job.
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

Um, I've got red flags
Old 01-16-2010, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

in my head about this.

It is Completely Inappropriate that a teacher and student would be "texting" each other, whether it's during a class or not. In any educational environment, I believe there are actual rules, if not guidelines, about teacher/student communication. And that you called her cell and she didn't answer -- hmmm, me thinks someone was hiding from you....

I work in a district where a HS teacher was arrested for having an inappropriate relationship (guess) with a student, and two other teachers were aware of the situation and Did Nothing about it. How did it start? Facebook and text messages.

It is wrong, wrong, wrong.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

Amberlee

RE: lovetosub
Old 01-16-2010, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Lovetosub I have to say that was one of the first things that crossed my mind too. Blurring the lines of professional distance between teacher and student inappropriately.

Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote
eazy555

eazy555

rat em out
Old 01-16-2010, 11:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

this is so angering! How would you even know the info is legit? That the student isn't just making it up, nevermind, forget that, we don't communicate lesson plans through students! I would report this to the principle. I DONT take order through a cell phone from a student. Sure it will result in this teacher NOT asking you back, but who cares, it's the principle of the whole thing.

thordau4

red flags
Old 01-17-2010, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yep, that was my first thought too, but didn't say anything cuz maybe I'm just alert to creepy....
lovetosub, are you telling us to guess which district? That would be too hard as it has happened all over the country... but L#to%rno came to mind immediately. I would have reported that so fast... like (to the student) 'if you want me to take your instructions, take that phone down to the principal to get it cleared'
It's not about texting and modern technology, it's about a potentially severely inappropriate relationship.
Hopefully the student was making it up???
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

thats really weird...
Old 01-18-2010, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I would have called another teacher or the principal during about this as soon as the kid started telling me he/she was texting the teacher. If a kid tells me something and it doesn't sound right I always call a teacher next door. If this happened to me I'd think it was inappropriate and WEIRD.
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

next time...
Old 01-19-2010, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

take away the phone. That situation was strange and boardering on inappropriate