Substitute Teachers

Question about sub calls…

>

JustWonderin

JustWonderin

Question about sub calls…
Old 01-19-2010, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you wake up early, get ready, and wait for calls to sub? Or do you stay in bed and wait to be woken up by the phone? Just wondering! Thanks

TxFlower

early
Old 01-19-2010, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

get up early
shower, get dressed
email, guidance for my own kids
AESOP for one school district and wait for calls from both
TxFlower is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 01-19-2010, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I get up, get ready for work, checking AESOP regularly.
I have the 'call' feature disabled. I hate early morning phone calls.
I am firmly a morning person so getting up early is second nature and it helps in getting jobs.

Last edited by thordau4; 01-20-2010 at 04:46 PM..
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I stay in bed and let the phone wake me up. My main district has disabled the feature that lets subs troll for jobs online, and I haven't seen a single listing on Subfinder (for my other district) in months, if not over a year. And I have too many days when the call never comes...why give up on that sleep?!

Today I got a late call: 8:05 for a job that started at 8:30 (and breakfast duty starts at 8:40, so that leaves pretty much zero prep time once you sign in, get the keys, put your stuff away, etc.). I was still in bed but took the job anyway, called the secretary and told her the situation, and showed up ~20 minutes late. The world didn't end, no kids died, I still get paid, and I'm reasonably sure they still like me at that school. No biggie.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

neanea

Old 01-19-2010, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just let the phone wake me up. No way would I crawl out of bed way before 6am and hope for a sub job. Majority of the time I don't get called anyways. When they do call, I have plenty of time to get ready.

neanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Lynette12

Lynette12

Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If I don't have a job by the time I go to bed then I get up when my cat wakes me up during the night like 2 or 4 am, look and see if something is posted then go back to sleep.
Then I get up around 5:30 am, If nothing is posted I get up and get ready, if I don't get a job I can always take a nap!! ( I am an early morning person) I never have the ringer on my phone I hate getting woken up with bells, I also never have an alarm clock. I always wake up when I tell myself to the night before, it is weird but it works for me.

Kataqueens

Old 01-20-2010, 02:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm weird in that I don't accept morning calls 95% of the time. Exceptions include:

a) If it's one of my preferred schools making a personal phone call (not the Sub system calling)

b)If the school is close to my house that I can get there with little notice.

I live in one of the NYC outerboroughs and don't have a car, hence not having the luxury of taking a phone call at 7am for an 8am start. I'm not one to rush when I get up in the morning. Luckily, 95% of my phone calls occur with advanced notice, so I don't miss much work.
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 01-20-2010, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

have my phone turned off to that (meaning I told the secy's and AESOP I'm a DO NOT CALL SUB) I told the secy's that if they don't see me I'm working at my other job and can't come in (even though now I feel bad bec. my part time job has slowed to a snal's pace and would love for them to call again......but......when things pick up can't have them calling)

Oh welll.....ce la vie
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

yuck...
Old 01-20-2010, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I let the phone get me up. I hate getting up early in the first place. I don't know how some of you people get up at 4 am to check the subfinder haha!

I don't get to bed some nights until 11-12pm. Usually the sub caller for the main district I sub at calls me between 525AM and 6AM. I lie in bed for another 20 minutes and then drag myself out of bed.
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 01-20-2010, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I try my best to get a job before I go to sleep... I'm usually successful, but it's pretty slow around here right now and I am having some problems with that. If I can't get it the night before, I will wake up at 530 and just sit by Aesop for an hour. I get up a 630 anyway so 530 isn't too bad.

ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

I rarely accept jobs in the early morning
Old 01-20-2010, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I like knowing where I'm going to be the night before so I can pack my sub bag and have everything ready. I also have two teens to get off to school in the AM, so expediency of time is a must for me.

If I don't have a job by the time I got to bed, then it is unlikely I will work the next day. But that's just me.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

dalleo822

Old 01-20-2010, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I used to get up early and wait for calls, but after a couple of weeks of not getting calls (which is a major disappointment), I now stay in bed and sleep. If I get a call, I may or may not accept it depending on the location, school, etc. I actually had to turn down a job yesterday (it was a late call) because the district has a really strict policy of arriving 30 minutes after you receive a call and I live at least 35-40 minutes from the school.
dalleo822 is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

stay in bed
Old 01-20-2010, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

stay in bed
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

Prairiegirl

Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

About 60% of my work is booked in advance, and on days I'm not booked I am usually called the night before. I do sometimes get early-morning calls (usually on a day I was really looking forward to a little free time!). I guess I am lucky; I work almost every day.
Prairiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliSub

Old 01-21-2010, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

When I don't have work the evening before I go to bed, the next morning I check the system on-line shortly before Aesop starts it's automatic call outs at 5:00 am. Often there are job(s) sitting in the queue to be picked up. Once the automated call outs begin I can't seem to grab any jobs so I go back to bed.
CaliSub is offline   Reply With Quote

ncd1

Old 01-21-2010, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I turn my laptop on at night and pull up subfinder. I put the laptop on my bedside table and set my alarm for 5:00. I stick my hand out of the covers, log into subfinder and check for jobs. I hit snooze on the alarm clock and refresh subfinder until I fall back to sleep...the alarm wakes me back up and I do it again. If there are no jobs posted by 5:30, I give up (5:30 is when subfinder starts calling out) and reset the alarm for our normal wake-up time of 7:15. I have found several jobs this way - and, if I happen to pick up a job at 5am, I can reset the alarm for 7 so I have a few minutes to shower before my kids get up!
ncd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Amberlee

Mornings
Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I am NOT a morning person...and I hate not knowing where I am going when I wake up to a loud phone ringing in my ear. That's one of my least favourite parts of being a sub. If I don't have a job by the evening I likely won't get one in the morning, and if I do it's usually a stressful last minute one. Ugh.
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiling Sub

Stay in bed :)
Old 01-23-2010, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I do not receive phone calls (unless it is from a teacher or admin who is requesting me). My district uses AESOP and I have the phone feature disabled. I hate having my "beauty rest" disturbed by the phone

I try to have a job for the next day before I go to bed but if I don't, I take the laptop upstairs and keep it on my nightstand. Sometimes, jobs come in during the night and my "chime" will go off on my computer. I just wake up and accept the job. If I do not have a job by 6:30-7:00am, I do not work that day Then, I sit with my laptop close by for the rest of the jobs stalking AESOP
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

Trixie284

Old 01-25-2010, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I get up early and get ready. But I really have a hard time accepting morning calls. For some reason I prefer to be booked ahead of time so that the night before I know exactly where I am going.
Trixie284 is offline   Reply With Quote