Help

Social Studies

Need help with 4 regions of Texas!

>

historynerd39

Need help with 4 regions of Texas!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey guys, I'm new to proteacher and this is my first post!
I need to teach the four regions of texas and explain to the kids how the natural regions of the united states are found in Texas. What's the best way to go about this? We have a great project for the four regions of texas (pick a region and make a brochure) but the kids always get confused when I start comparing the natural regions of the united states with those of texas.

Any tips? Anything would be appreciated!

historynerd39 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Ideas
Old 09-18-2011, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It has been eight years since I taught fourth grade SS, but since no one else has responded I will try to offer some ideas for thought.

Why not create a template for students to use to make a puzzle of Texas with the four regions being the different pieces of their puzzle. Then label each piece.

Then spend a day or two "traveling" to each region. View a more detailed map of each area. Look at the major cities in that region. What are their famous landmarks? What do they produce? How do most people make their living there? What does the land look like? What places would children like to visit in this region? Maybe you can find a book to read to them about the region. Maybe you will have to create your own powerpoint about the region to share with the students. You should be able to find all the pics you need on Google Images.

You could also teach some map skills at the same time. Have two or three students share a Texas map. Then have them follow map coordinates to find each major city within a region. Take a look at the rivers that flow in that area. Also look at state and national parks. Measure miles between major cities.

Also discuss weather differences in the regions. You might graph some of the averages for a math activity.

They could also write friendly letters to different chamber of commerce facilities and request tourist information from the areas. Receiving mail is always fun. They could sort it into boxes for the four different regions to view later.

Hope I said something helpful. Good luck.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

historynerd39

Old 09-21-2011, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for responding! I ended up having kids outline and shade in a map of the U.S. with the different regions...then they outlined texas in a dark marker..this helped them understand that many natural regions in the u.s. are also found in texas. i dunno why this topic always confuses them but i think this time they got it!
historynerd39 is offline   Reply With Quote
jade barrera

jade barrera

4 regions of texas
Old 10-16-2011, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

the 4 regions of texas are costal plains , great plains , north central plains , and the mountains and basins. hope that i helped.