Social Studies

1960's Room Theme Ideas Needed

>

lovegrowshere

1960's Room Theme Ideas Needed
Old 09-24-2011, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Guys,

My sister is supposed to decorate her classroom in a 1960's theme for a 50th anniversary celebration of her school. She is having trouble coming up with ideas. So far her idea is to have 60's music playing, and put a large piece of paper across the board and let her kids write 60's facts as if it were graffitti. She also drew the outline of a VW van on a lg. piece of paper and will let her students decorate it with a 'flower power' theme.

But she says it's not enough. People from the community will be coming in, and they're even advertising it. It's kind of big so she wants it to look nice. Also, it will be held on a weekend.

Any ideas would be VERY appreciated!

lovegrowshere

lovegrowshere is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

I was young teenager
Old 09-25-2011, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

during the '60s in a very conservative town but I remember lots of colors that we call "neon" colors now. We called them "psychodelic" colors then. Large flowers in those colors for the walls would look good. The clothes were a big change in the '60s. Huge bell bottoms, fringed vests, long straight hair on both girls and boys. Peace signs were everywhere. Luckily, you can find many things w/peace signs even today. Everything was "groovy", "far-out" etc. There are websites dedicated to 60's words and fashions. Peace & Love!
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

serene
Old 09-25-2011, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Seems like there ought to be a serene corner for some pretty serious events like Kennedy's assassination, MLK's speeches and other civil rights events. I know you mentioned a graffitti board (like that idea BTW) but there are some things that might be better treated more seriously.
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

50th, too
Old 09-28-2011, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our school is also celebrating our 50th anniversary. I was thinking of building a "now and then museum" in my room. I thought I'd show side-by-side items that are part of everyday life but that have changed in the last fifty years like phones, music (record vs. mp3 or ipod), etc. and use side-by-side pictures for things that are too big to put into the room.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote