Help

Social Studies

Explorers?? Need Ideas

>

Brooks620

Explorers?? Need Ideas
Old 10-17-2011, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need activities to teach explorers. I teach 4th grade in GA.

Brooks620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Laffy Taffy

explorer train
Old 10-30-2011, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

have a student decorate a ship for each explorer as u teach it. on it will say his name, country of origin, accomplishments, the way he's remembered etc. Hang each ship along one wall as a review of all the explorers. you can lo have students pick a favorite explorer to do a project on. hand out a paper with blank doll (like paper doll) and students decorate it according to the facts they've learned...use paper, fabric, foil, cotton, tooth picks etc. they can even make a pocket for tools! or use his real picture for the face! hope this helps
Laffy Taffy is offline   Reply With Quote

boa519

Explorers
Old 11-05-2011, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have some ideas regarding Lewis and Clark for 4 and 5 th grade class if you are still interested I will post some.
boa519 is offline   Reply With Quote

IMSaved2

Explorers
Old 11-06-2011, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know a teacher who let students work in groups - each one with a different explorer to research. They had to make a just smaller than life-size brown paper cut-out picture of the explorer and a poster showing where they were from, and what major accomplishments they made, etc. These were hung in the hallway and came out really nice!!!
IMSaved2 is offline   Reply With Quote

boa519

Lewis and Clark
Old 11-15-2011, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

1.) How technology has changed. I took a modern day camping set; good sleeping bag, back pack, flashlight, insulated socks and boots and other stuff and compared it what The Corp of Discovery had back in 1804-1806 no flashlight, no GPS, no warm sleeping bag. They had a blanket, coat, leather boots, coat and gloves.
Then we had a relay race on how fast a student (corps member) could unpack and pack his bag.
2.) Corp of Discovery discovery and named over 1000 species of animal, faun, reptile and fish. I took a few of each category and got pictures of them. I then did two different activities with them 1.) Because Jefferson wanted samples sent back I had the kids sitting back to back in pairs while one tired verbally describe an animal or faun to their partner. I then had copies of journals of Lewis and Clark (PBS, Smithsonian, National Geography all did a special on 200 anniversary in 2000) Have them write as a member of the corps and discovery land forms, and animals.
3.) tied state requirements of knowing Louisiana Purchase with a discussion on the different powers that were in invested in the New World and its natural resource.
4.) Ben York was Clark slave who was the first Black man to cross the Continental Divide as well as took part in voting regarding camp life and decisions.
5.) Then there is Sacagewa discussed how she was from the Snake People tribe and how she help the boys survive.

boa519 is offline   Reply With Quote

rkteacher

explorer idea
Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Do you know of some reliable web sites with information about explorers? I have been to some, but they are hard to navigate or the information is not presented in a kid-friendly way.
rkteacher is offline   Reply With Quote