Help

Substitute Teachers

Today an out of control kid left class never came back

>

Beethechange

Today an out of control kid left class never came back
Old 05-31-2013, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I subbed for a school I've never been to and this was a general ed and special ed class. Their was a boy who asked me if he could go to the nurse. I can tell he was just making an excuse to leave so i told him to sit down. He cursed me out and left. I opened the door and told him to get back. A student that was coming from the bathroom told me he saw him in the Nurses office. I called the nurse and she had told me that he was there for only 3 minutes, and that she figures he was roaming the hallways. I started to panick because I had no idea where this kid went plus I've been suspended before and I was not gonna have it this time. I called the office and told them the boy left the room without my permission. They asked me to call back in ten minutes. Ten minutes went by, he didnt come back. I rang the office more than once to inform them he was still gone. He never showed up. I took the kids to lunch, and even went to the office to re tell my story. I tried to cover all tracks because i fear any type of suspension. When I came back from lunch he was in line. I ignored him the remainder of the day. It seemed like he got in trouble with the office but I hope I did the right thing. The fear of him getting lost took over me the whole day, plus the panick of suspension. I'm glad summer is coming, it really stressed me out. I don't know if I can keep doing this.

Beethechange is offline   Reply With Quote

Smilingsub

Old 05-31-2013, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You did the right thing by calling the nurse and informing the office. Another option you may want to consider is calling the security desk. I've been in schools where kids actually try to leave the building. Make sure you get the the name of every person you spoke to so you can say "I let so and so know about it."That way you have covered all of your tracks.

I would have panicked a bit too.
Smilingsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Dougie

Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When someone wants to go to the nurse I always let them. I know sometimes maybe they aren't really feeling that bad but I need to cover myself just in case they are feeling bad. If I tell a student " no, you can't go to the nurse" and then they throw up on the desk that's gonna make me look really bad. I can't always tell just by looking at a child if they are feeling sick.
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

You did the right thing
Old 06-02-2013, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Next time (and there will be a next time) don't let it cause you to feel any panic. Do what you need to do to CYA and let it go.

Subbing is not a job with much security. Maybe it is time for you to consider doing something else.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

I used to send everyone who asked..
Old 06-02-2013, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

to the office if they complained that they were sick, but now I will sometimes call the office if I think a student is faking. I'll either get a "Sure, send him up," or I am told that the student is a "frequent flyer." That way it's on record that you checked. I don't think you can get in trouble, as the only thing that COULD get you in trouble is if you physically held him in the room.

BayAreaSub is offline   Reply With Quote