Help

Substitute Teachers

I've had it with subbing

>

ConfusedinNJ

I've had it with subbing
Old 06-03-2013, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am only subbing until I can land a permanent position. But I think I have had it completely with subbing. Every single time I sub lately I feel like I get complained about. Its always something. I go in there and try my best and leave. What is so wrong about that? I keep trying and trying and trying and I feel like the whole world is against me. I dont know where these complaints are coming from.

I have pretty much had it. I refuse to sub anymore this year. I start my summer (camp) job in two weeks. I dont know what I'm going to do come September if I dont land anything. Subbing is out of the question.

ConfusedinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Dougie

Old 06-03-2013, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

is it the same thing for you no matter what grade you sub K - 12?

Subbing sucks if you are not working in your comfort zone. I only sub HS now.
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote

ConfusedinNJ

Old 06-03-2013, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am certified to teach all grades (special ed) but only do K-5, but primarily 3-5. This is in different schools who all outsource their subs to a company that I work for and would love to quit.
ConfusedinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Old 06-03-2013, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I refuse to sub the last two weeks of school. You can't maintain discipline if they know school is almost out, because they are done caring about the consequences. It's hot, no a/c, etc. Luckily, I work at a job where someone is always quitting or getting fired, so I pretty much have full time work waiting for me for the second Summer in a row. I don't blame you for feeling as you do. Yes, subbing is a tough gig and many times thankless job. That's why I've learned how to really fly under the radar. If you read my old posts, you will realize that didn't used to be the case. Luckily, there are many available jobs where I live, so I can go to schools that are decent to subs. I still avoid the teacher's lounge. Too loud and they're not my friends, and I have friends through my other job, and that's how I choose it. I'm just biding my time till I find a decent paying job that is a career. Subbing is not a career and I'm over teaching. Over it.
StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

OK4NOW

Old 06-03-2013, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I understand. Good luck with your job at the summer camp.

Start fresh in the fall.

Take care!

OK4NOW is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I too have had it with subbing. I make more money selling 2 x 4's at the big box home improvement center that most districts pay for subs. I' also tired of districts that overlook their subs when it comes time for interviews and hiring.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Velouria

Old 06-06-2013, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Subman- I am so tired of it too! But yeah, I am so over it. If I don't get hired for something full time next year, I am looking at other options. I thought I had a permanent job coming from my LTS position, but once again, luck has not been on my side and the budget crisis won out. They moved someone from another building into my position, even though the principals wanted me. It just sucks.
Velouria is offline   Reply With Quote

pkennedy1990

Old 06-08-2013, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Nice to know I'm not alone in feeling this way!! If I can't teach ON the Rez (the Gallup-area of New Mexico) then I've had it with teaching Math, period. I'm sick and tired of having to field "are you a 'real' Math teacher" from racist a**hole students that apparently are being taught by their racist parents that they don't have to listen to a Math teacher who's not a certain SKIN SHADE that I could almost scalp the next one who says it!! Now, this area is so hard up for Math teachers because it's the Rez's that are served that they send in the PEACE CORPS and the Americorps and Teach For America and Teachers Without Borders - and someone actually asked me what I was doing here!!

Seriously, I'll apply for T-Mobile CALL CENTER jobs as long as I can do it without having to live in God-Awful Albuquerque....... If people can't SEE that I'm Native American (over the phone) then they can't say such damn racist things to me all the time!!
pkennedy1990 is offline   Reply With Quote