Help

Substitute Teachers

There's got to be something we can do

>

Beethechange

There's got to be something we can do
Old 06-08-2013, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok well I know for sure that everyone being placed at a school job from custodian, teachers, paras, whatever, there all there cause of a connection. Isn't there anything we can do? Over here in NYC there was a meeting regarding unemployment for sub. Does anyone know the results of that. It took place on May 30 th.

I realize I won't get a job as a teacher and will probably come back as a sub for a very little time next fall. I am gonna move on. But I don't want to leave without leaving my mark. I already spoke on NY1 and got nothing out of it but I'm determined to take this farther. I'm gonna file unemployment this summer and am willing to take it to a hearing.

Beethechange is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Seems like a waste of time to me
Old 06-08-2013, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Under current law, substitute teachers in New York State are unable to receive unemployment ...

But then again who knows? Perhaps you will be the one that causes the law to be changed. It can't hurt to try, right, have you seen this:

S4887-2011: Excludes substitute teachers from the limits imposed on unemployment insurance benefits available during vacation periods

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S4887-2011

Maybe it will be up again for this upcoming year...

Last edited by Mercury; 06-08-2013 at 08:55 PM..
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 06-09-2013, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Personally, I think school should go all year round with maybe only 2-3 weeks off in the summer for the youth of America to thrive and succeed. Most children forget a lot of what they learned over tbe summer and the curriculum forces schools to waste time re-teaching so much the following school year. Also, this would allow us subs to work all summer and make better money. I know regular teachers and kids hate my idea, but it is what's best for today's children. Filing unemployment would be annoying during the sumner because for me, I only go one month without a paycheck (August). It wouldnt make sense to go through all that just for one month of no pay.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

year round school
Old 06-10-2013, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

is a fine idea in an industrial rather than agrarian society. However, the big barrier is having to pay teachers for another 2 1/2 months of work. That money is the deal stopper.

There are also huge businesses built on the summer vacation: theme parks, child care, summer camps, recreation departments, national parks, summer school, and on and on. These people would lobby against such a move.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Smilingsub

Old 06-10-2013, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Also many , many buildings would have to be retrofitted with air conditioners to make the summer months bearable...

Smilingsub is offline   Reply With Quote