Help

Substitute Teachers

Looking back on Subbing

>

MrsBrown810

Looking back on Subbing
Old 06-10-2013, 02:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I went from having 5 years in my own classroom to subbing after moving from SC to PA and not even getting called for interviews. At first, I was annoyed and feeling like I have taken a step backwards. However, looking back, I am so glad I subbed. I got to experience so many different grade levels and different kinds of classrooms. I have "stolen" a ton of ideas (really...I have a notebook) of things I want to use/may be able to try in my classroom. Things from decoration to organization to technique. I am looking forward to having my own classroom again in August (YAY) but subbing has taught me a lot and I have met many great people.

I know sometimes subbing seems like a slap in the face after working so hard and not being able to find a classroom of your own...but a bit of advice...make connections, learn new things...steal ideas...and when you do end up with your own classroom, look at all of the different experiences you have to help you out.

MrsBrown810 is offline   Reply With Quote

Smilingsub

Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

While I applaud your positive attitude, I find it harder and harder each year that I sub to see the "light" when teaching jobs here are few and far between. I used to have a positive attitude about subbing too but have lost my enthusiasm. Maybe I need to move to PA to find work!
Smilingsub is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsBrown810

Old 06-10-2013, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Teaching jobs in PA are very hard to come by as well. I am actually going to be teaching in a private school. It's what I have ALWAYS wanted to do though...well, I've always wanted to teach Autism support...I never really considered private school until this opened up for me. Move to SC. I had jobs in 2 districts before I even had interviews...granted...that was in 2004.

Smilingsub

Old 06-10-2013, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Good luck with the new job!

No plans to move to SC,lol. I have family down there but wouldn't want to live there for a variety of reasons.
Smilingsub is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 06-10-2013, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Under Gov. Corbett's watch some 20,000 educators have lost their jobs. 14,000 of those are still unemployed or under-employed.

I count myself as one of those who is under-employed even though I work subbing every day and at the big box home improvement place nightly (over 70 hours a week) I am only making 1/4 of what I once made. I have too much education (masters plus credits) and experience (over 12 years) for me to be a cheap hire.

Time was education and experience meant something, not any longer in Pennsylvania.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsBrown810

Old 06-11-2013, 02:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Don't blame you. I lived in SC for 8 years and taught there for 3. Sooo glad to be back in PA. Thanks for the luck. Is it funny that I am more nervous about the "middle school" part of it than the Autism Support part?

MrsBrown810

Old 06-11-2013, 02:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I understand that. It's sad. Don't get me started on my opinions of the state of education. I'm starting way lower at the private school in which I'll be teaching than I would in public school, but it's a full time teaching job and it's Autism support which is what I wanted.

Doov3

Old 06-11-2013, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Here is the Chicago land area it has been hard to find a full time teaching job. You have to be right out of school and speak Spanish or have some kind of connection. There are so many college graduates that are subbing since they can't find a full time job. I have been looking for a full time teaching job for 7 years now and haven't been in my own classroom for 11 years. I started out working in a catholic school and back then the salary was really low and so I moved on to a public school after three years in the catholic school. The public school riffed me after one year and I sometimes wish I never left the catholic school. Now that they salaries are better paying compared to when I first started teaching, I am trying to get back into the catholic schools. As for the public schools, I think I have too much experience and cost too much, even though I try and cut back on all my experience. I apply to over 100 public school districts but never get called for an interview. I have been told that there can be 500-800 people applying for the same job at times. Just crazy!!
Doov3 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsBrown810

Old 06-11-2013, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yep that is what hurt me too...experience and my Masters. I was actually working a $10 an hour job as a counselor in a workshop for adults with special needs and I am almost positive it was THAT experience that got me my teaching job that starts in August.

Teach1st2011

Old 07-05-2013, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

MrsBrown810,
Thanks for the post. I worked for 5 years as a full time teacher in a public school, and resigned to care for my newborn son. I am looking forward to returning to the work field, and am probably going to be subbing for awhile until I land a full time job. But, I agree, there are so many great teaching ideas available. Subbing is a great way to see how others teach and possibly "copy cat" their ideas. Also, every school and school district is different. Subbing is a great way to learn the school/school district before getting a full time position in their school.

Teach1st2011 is offline   Reply With Quote