Help

Substitute Teachers

Substitute Return Letter In Mail

>

NJSubteacher

Substitute Return Letter In Mail
Old 06-14-2013, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm sure in many districts like mine, subs are all sent a letter asking us to indicate whether we want to stay on the sub list in September. For all districts I work in, this is done via regular mail and we are asked to check off a few questions, sign it, then mail it back. For those of you who work in districts that do this, do you ever worry that when you send it back, it would get lost in the mail or never reach them? Then, later find out you are removed from the sub list? I feel weird about following up on something like that with the sub coordinator because it would make me appear paranoid over something silly. I could only imagine if every sub decided to follow up and confirm that they received the reply. Comments/thoughts on this??

NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

theapple

Lettter of Assurance
Old 06-14-2013, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I got my letter the last day of school for teachers. All we have to do is sign the letter saying that we got it. I don't know about what would happen if it were lost or we forgot to mail it in. I try to mail it back the next day. I never have given it thought.
theapple is offline   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

i had to call the sub desk last week...
Old 06-14-2013, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

because I had not received my usual letter. It apparently was lost in the mail going to my house, so I was sent another one. i always hand deliver it to HR at school district, and make a mental note of the person who takes it from me. In checking with other subs last week, to see if they had received theirs already, they said that they had already asked for it to be included in district mail going to the district offices. I don't think it would hurt to make a quick inquiry.
BayAreaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Huh
Old 06-14-2013, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my district we get a letter that basically says thanks for your work this year but you are laid off now and we'll let you know come fall what's up. They send it certified mail so they know that we got it. We don't have to sign anything or send anything back unless you no longer want to sub. In which case they ask you to send a resignation to the district sub manager. Otherwise it's assumed you want to be called back. Then in August they send another letter that says Welcome back blah blah blah.

I think in your case I would definitely follow up, because it would've such a hassle to reapply and what-not if your letter did get lost in the mail.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 06-14-2013, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yeah, I don't know why they cant just send an email or even better, just call all the subs and simply ask. If they saved all that postage money, they could pay us more. Ha ha. I never had anything lost in the mail.....not even my paychecks which they mail out.

Smilingsub

Old 06-14-2013, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We get a physical letter and an email that provides a link to renew our sub status for next year. We also get a confirmation receipt that it was sent.
Smilingsub is offline   Reply With Quote

momandsub

For the past...
Old 06-14-2013, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

six years I have just signed the letter, made a copy and mailed it back. Responding to an email would be so much more efficient.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 06-15-2013, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have to actually drop mine off in the district office.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 06-15-2013, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yeah, I probably should've just dropped it off in person. Unfortunately, their office is located deep inside one of the schools I refuse to work due to a nasty secretary who handles the subs. I would have to get by her office before getting to the BOE offices. Hardly anything gets lost in the mail long-term I guess, so I'm sure I will be ok. I did copy down the contact number and extension in case I have any problems.

momandsub

Old 06-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our district office is located in a very nasty neighborhood. My husband does not like me driving there. I have never had a problem, with the mail.

momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sub14

Old 06-15-2013, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This year the staffing company I work for sent mine through e-mail, I had to put my initials and then submit. I have never gotten a substitute return letter before this year, not through the mail nor e-mail. If they sent it before through e-mail then I didn't get it, even without it I had no problem when I returned to subbing in the fall for the past 2 years. Were it not for this discussion board I wouldn't have even known that I was supposed to get one. This fall will begin my 3rd year of being a sub teacher.
Sub14 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Mercury
Old 06-15-2013, 10:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm wondering if your "thanks, you are laid off" letter might be interesting to take to the unemployment office. The point of the Letter of Reasonable Assurance (of more work in the fall) seems to be avoiding the district paying unemployment benefits to subs. Getting laid off might lead to some $ over the summer.

For the rest of us, signing the letter means we are outta luck for unemployment.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Broomrider
Old 06-16-2013, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

No, subs in my state can't get unemployment. The letter doesn't state we are laid off using those words but that's the gist of it.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

Elemteach22

NJSubteacher
Old 06-16-2013, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

If you are concerned about the letter getting lost, send it and require a signature confirmation.
Elemteach22 is offline   Reply With Quote

sunshine*inc

Drop off
Old 06-16-2013, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My letters of reassurance need to be returned to the district office.
sunshine*inc is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 06-17-2013, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Elem teacher....I just tried that, but the guy at the post office told me that since it was a smaller postcard I had to send in, that you cannot send those with any type of tracking or confirmation. I will just email them at the end of the week to confirm. You also can't do that on top of any pre-paid postage. So odd right?

Sublime

certified mail
Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

The last 2 years one of my districts has sent these reasonable assurance letters certified mail so that I had to go to the post office and sign for it (since I wasn't home when mail was delivered). I called the office and the sub lady told me they do that so nobody applies for unemployment, as a previous poster said. She said they had too many problems so they get a signature from every sub saying they received it (it's a 4 school district).
Sublime is online now   Reply With Quote

Dougie

Old 06-18-2013, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We were required to come in to district office this year.
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote

ALMFH14

I agree!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I am a substitue as well and I didn't really think about this until I read this post actually. But it is a great concern. However I am going to contact them to ask if they recieved my letter. It makes me so nervous. I am currently in college and using this as a chance to get some experience before I have my own classroom. I would just follow up, it is better to be safe than sorry!!
ALMFH14 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 06-24-2013, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I confirmed via email with my districts to make sure they got the return letter. In one district, they responded right away and told me yes they received it. The other one never wrote back, but then again I only asked for them to notify me if there was a problem and if it wasnt received. I would seriously think that a decent school district would notify you first to confirm that you are no longer interested in working for them in Sept before just taking you off the list, unless it's for an entirely different reason.
ConfusedSub

ConfusedSub

Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Was I banned from subbing? I never got my letter. Also, one school banned me. It happened in February and I still worked the whole year.

tish26

Reply to NJ sub concern
Old 07-11-2013, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

You must check up and contact the coordinator. I like to have personal contact with her or him, so I recommend a phone call followed with an email. Try to create a relationship so this person thinks of you if there is a long term position available. I don' think this is being paranoid. I think it shows initiative and professionalism.
tish26 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 07-11-2013, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Confused sub.....I would follow up via phone or email to let them know you would like to continue subbing in September. Ask for the sub coordinator to get back to you and confirm that you are still on the list. I personally would have done this back in June, since it may be harder to make contact with the district over the summer. IF your district uses AESOP, just try signing in to make sure your pin still works. If you are able to sign in, it means you are still on the list as of now.