Does anyone sub in nyc have a question about subcentral system - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Does anyone sub in nyc have a question about subcentral system

>

Beethechange

Does anyone sub in nyc have a question about subcentral system
Old 06-18-2013, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I didn't get called last night and this morning around 5:30 am I got called for this school that I didn't accept because its just really bad. I didn't worry too much about it because when I went online to see what jobs were out there, it was quite a few, around 12 schools. I waited and waited and got no calls and the ones posted online were not Open. Around 7:30 I saw that the list of jobs online disappeared. I guess everyone took the jobs, but how come I never got called for those? I don't get it. From 5:30 am to 7:30 I should of gotten called again or have a job available online. How does this work?

Beethechange is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

don't know your system
Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but I'm wondering if you decline a job if you get shut out of the system. You might call the sub office and ask your questions there.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Super Sub

Old 06-18-2013, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm in MO but we have it here too. I've seen jobs in call out for a long time that I never got called for. It just depends on where you are in the rotation of calls. I know one school I go to has put my number in in such a way that I am always one of the first ones called. I only know this because it also started calling me for SPED classes and I don't have those is as ones to be called for. I asked the secretary and she said I was in the First to call list so it calls me for everything there. I wish my other schools would put me on their list that way too.
Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

Smilingsub

Question for Beethechange
Old 06-18-2013, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Since you can only view jobs online before and after call out hours, why didn't you accept one of the 12 jobs that was up when you looked at it if you wanted to work today? I'd rather grab one of those the night before than wait for morning calls.

Sometimes, a job may be in the process of being accepted by another sub who checked online or called Subcentral a few seconds before you and it hasn't disappeared yet and you won't be able to accept it. In that case, just wait the 15 seconds for the search to refresh and try accepting a different job if there's more than one that you are willing to take.

Many NYC schools use a "list" like Super Sub described. Once the system goes through everyone on the school's list, it then randomly selects people to call from the general sub population.
Smilingsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Beethechange

I tried to
Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I tried accepting jobs online and they were not opening. I did the 15 second thing and it still did not open. The night before there were no postings online and I got no calls either. Inmy mindi figured It was really slow... So the next morning when I declined a really bad special ed school I wasn't too worried because I saw like 12 posted online. I clicked on it so many times and it did not become available nor did the phone ring. I found it odd but this other sub explained to me that it first rotates on preferred subs and then if they don't accept then it comes to my name. My last name is with a T so maybe alphabetically Im towards the end of the list...I waited from 5:30-8am nonstop clicking online and waiting for a call. It is what it is I guess.

Smilingsub

Old 06-19-2013, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've never been able to view jobs online during call out hours, either at night 5 :00 - 10:30 pm or in the morning. "Job shopping" online isn't supposed to be available during "call out" hours so it's weird that you were able to see 12 jobs listed during call out hours. Maybe it was some kind of computer glitch in the system that allowed you to see them which could explain why you couldn't accept one.I can only see or listen to available jobs between 9 am and 4:55 pm and anytime after 10:30 pm and before 5:30 am. Are you registered in more than one district? Do you work on Staten Island ?(only asking because I was at a workshop with a sub from Staten Island during call out hours and she was shocked by how many calls I got and she said that there's not that kind of work available in Staten Island.)

Beethechange

I am listed on many districts
Old 06-19-2013, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I lived in queens before so i have 2 districts and i also know alot of schools in the city so I have them on also. I moved to bklyn and have added them on to my file name. Plus since I'm a licensed special ed I am part of district 75 in manhattan and bklyn. That's why I found it so odd that none of the schools rotated to my name. I'm able to see a list from 5 pm to 10pm. Then at 5 30 am My phone starts ringing or If not i go online at that hour.

I was at Court street in March and there was a large pool of new hires that I saw. Maybe it's because of that. Tonight I only got 2 calls. I can't sub at special ed schools that are 7:1:1 emotionally disturbed at this time so i have to either decline or wait for a regular ed school to be open. Hopefully tomorrow morning they'll call

Smilingsub

Eureka!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I already have work for tomorrow but the school I'm working at doesn't put it in Subcentral so I am listed as available even though I am not available. I am listed in 5 districts in my borough but only received one call tonight which is unusual! I decided to check to see if I could view jobs during call out hours and I was surprised that I could view them since I've never been able to see them at those times before.There were ten jobs listed but they all had "In Call Out" next to them. When I clicked on "In Call Out" next to one of the jobs, a window opened that stated that the job was currently being offered to a sub and to try again later. Several of the schools on my available jobs list are schools I've worked at multiple times yet I didn't have any of the jobs offered to me by phone during call out hours.

When I went on at 10:31, the same ten jobs were listed as available but could be accepted now. Even though you can view the jobs online,you can only accept online listings during non call out hours 10:31 pm -5:29 am and 8:31 am to 4:59 pm. I also noticed that if I checked the details on a job at 10:31, I had to reload the page to check the details on another job IF I didn't refuse the job I looked at first. If I refused the first job I looked at and gave a reason, Subcentral allowed me to view the details on other jobs without refreshing.

Try looking at the jobs during non call out hours. There's usually a bunch listed right after call out hours end.

Are you working as a sub teacher, a sub para or both? If you are doing both, you should be getting more calls. Are you listed as a general education teacher or special ed only?

Last edited by Smilingsub; 06-19-2013 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: addition

Beethechange

Unbelievable
Old 06-20-2013, 03:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I accepted a job this morning at a regular ed school, saw it online and guess what.. as I headed out, I got a cancellation notification. This is ridiculous. I called the school but no one picked up. I'm guessing that teacher decided to go to work and cancelled it from her house. That was around 6:37 am. I've been sitting since that time waiting but I don't see anything online..it's 7:23 am. I gave up at this point i have a job for tomorrow but it will only be a 2 day work week. I doubt any calls will come thru next week since its last days of school..who knows.

Beethechange

Smiling sub
Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm going to try the after hours thing...I've never waited till after 10:30 but I will see tonight

Smilingsub

Cancellation
Old 06-20-2013, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Sometimes a job is put in by the teacher and by the school secretary and they double book a job so they try to cancel one of the subs.

Last edited by Smilingsub; 06-20-2013 at 05:46 PM..