Help

Substitute Teachers

Baby Talker in 4th Grade

>

3leggedtable

Baby Talker in 4th Grade
Old 06-20-2013, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for advice about how to deal with a student who talks baby talk in the classroom.

Several times this year I subbed in a room with a 4th grade boy who would speak to me like a baby. I overheard him speaking to his peers and he can talk normally. This week I told him I could not understand him and could he please speak in a regular voice. But this strategy only work for about 1 minute. I'm sure I will see this young man again next year and I need a better way to deal with his behavior.

Thank you in advance for your help.

3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

I think...
Old 06-20-2013, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

you should handle it by saying that it is disrespectful to you to speak like that to you. Let him know that if it continues, you will need to go to the next step, whatever that is at that school: bench ticket for recess, reflective page in another classroom, note to the teacher asking if a call home from her when she returns is the way to go, etc.
BayAreaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherinWA

Fourth Grader
Old 06-20-2013, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I will often say - "Come back and talk to me when you can talk like a fourth grader."

Works.

I would be careful though. I had a friend who said something to student and that was how they actually talked - but you heard them with students.

I am assuming students that do that do that with their parents and it works in getting what they want. Same with students that do the "fake" cry. I usually say we don't cry in_______ grade.
teacherinWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Same problem...
Old 06-24-2013, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had that problem in student teaching and totally ignoring the kid worked best. When he baby talked, my cooperating teacher and I just totally ignored him...COMPLETELY. Totally worked. That was a fifth grader

I had it my first year teaching with a 5th grader, too! I tried ignoring it like we did with the kid from student teaching...didn't work. We had talks later about talking like a 5th grader and how I wouldn't listen until he talked like a 5th grader, etc. Still didn't work, even with the continued ignoring. One day, I said to him, "You know how you baby talk sometimes?" He said, "Yes! It's funny." I said, "Well, the next time that happens, I think you are going to have to spend some time in the kindergarten room because that voice is closer to a 5 year old's than an 11 year olds!" I said it jokingly and he laughed really hard...but it never happened again and we were still very close-very strong relationship. I feel horrible for saying it, as it's not very nice nor professional, but that's just what he needed-someone to tell it to him like it was it a "nice" way-meaning I didn't yell it, say sarcastically or mean, it was said in a joking way but gave him the point.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

readforall

Old 06-24-2013, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You should talk to the classroom teacher and be sure he does not have special needs before deciding on your own how you deal with this. The classroom teacher will be able to advise on how to best handle this.

readforall is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach1st2011

Old 07-05-2013, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have experienced "baby talk" from first and second graders. It is an extremely sensitive topic for some students, and may even be the outcome of some emotional attachment in their lives. I would handle this with sensitivity to the student. As someone mentioned, definitely check to make sure this is their everyday speaking voice. But, you heard him talk differently to his peers, so there's probably a reason behind the "baby talk".
Teach1st2011 is offline   Reply With Quote