Help

Substitute Teachers

Subbing in the Prisons?

>

LilyBart

Subbing in the Prisons?
Old 05-12-2017, 09:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just had an exhausting day with a K-class, all for $12.50/hour. I felt like I did so well with the little squirrels until I turned around and a school administrator was standing with a weird look on her face. These kids were TOUGH. All for $100/day. I have no idea what the look was about, so now wonder what I did, if I did anything at all? So tired when I got home and sat down and thought, with one little click, this school, any school, can just nix me from their list, affect my livelihood, with nary a word to me. It's just an unfair and exhausting "system" and I am kind of sick of it.

I was searching state jobs and saw they need subs in the prison system.

Anyone sub in a prison environment? Of course, aren't you terrified every time you do?

Am thinking of applying. Pays like $250/day--what we're worth in other words.

Thank you.

LilyBart is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 05-13-2017, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Interesting idea, I don't have any prisons near me.

I have noted that schools are becoming more like prisons.

To get into the school I need to be buzzed in, unless I have a badge and know the pin for the keypad. There are security cameras everywhere inside of schools now. One interview I went on with a private school there were over 100 cameras, some that parents could view remotely from home or work.

On the plus side discipline probably would not be an issue. And I would think the better behaved prisoners would be your students.

No sure how much work there would be though.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Bandnstrings

good point subman
Old 05-13-2017, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Subman makes a good point. How much work would you get? How many teachers are in a prison?

I do agree the whole system is awful. Even if you're in a nice place, everything is incredibly stacked against you.
Bandnstrings is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

never had the chance
Old 05-13-2017, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Although I've never had the chance to work in a rehab centre, I would imagine that the kinds of students there are the ones who have hit rock bottom. These are the students that would probably want to improve their lives. They got nothing better to do except use their time through studies. I had seen want ad's for teachers in a penitentiary/rehab centers and I had applied not out of desperation but because of curiosity. And I don't think that you'd encounter inmates like you might've seen in that show that's off the air now, Oz.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

LilyBart

Sit down! Sit down! Sit down!
Old 05-13-2017, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Good Point Subman: I sometimes think all the kids, up to the senior high school kids, are telling us the "model" of our educational system to sit in buildings all day, at dinky desks, in neat little rows, the very opposite of what growing youth SHOULD be doing, the teenagers busting out of their skins from hormones, has to go and when you think about it, it's just awful. It is also lazy. The model rose out of the industrial revolution and has nothing to do what is best for kids. NOTHING. It is about control and only control.

How many of us know somebody, maybe even ourselves, that now has a "standing desk"? The adults are getting rid of chairs because chairs/sitting kills but we still force our children into this horrible model. Making 5 year olds sit all day, I'm sorry, is just cruel. We need to completely revamp our educational model -- get rid of the gd chairs in little rows! Every time I tell a kid to "sit down" I cringe because he/she is supposed to be moving...

To get to your point, a very apt one, you are right. When you think about it, is there that much difference between the prisons and schools and in fact, I understand some of the minimum prisons have excellent sports programs, not to mention ready health care! I wonder if the prisons aren't in some way even better than the schools?

You bring up a great point. Maybe there really isn't a difference and the prison would be in fact, better not just in pay, but in everything else!

LilyBart is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

LilyBart
Old 05-13-2017, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What I meant by my comment that schools are like prisons is that They are locked and secured; someone has to be "buzzed in," security cameras are everywhere, just like a prison.

When I first started driving, my mother told me that if I ever needed to use the rest room while driving to look for a school - they would let me use the rest room and it was cleaner than a gas station or fast food place. Try doing that now.

When I first started teaching students would still be in school on election day. Depending on the grade level I would have my class go to the gym (polling place) and look at the voting machines and talk to some of the candidates. Now election day is in-service day and children only get to see a polling place if their parents take them.

One school where I sub a visitor needs to be buzzed in to the lobby at the left most door, walk across the lobby to the right, be buzzed into the office where I am checked in (show ID), given a sub badge, walk to the far end of the office where I pass the sub badge in front of the reader to finally enter the school. Once inside the school there are the tell-tale brown bubbles everywhere for the security cameras.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

My husband was a prison guard
Old 05-14-2017, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

for 20 years.

He hasn't told me too much about those years at work. Just enough to know that I would not be a good fit for subbing in a prison.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote
Substitute
Old 06-01-2017, 11:11 AM
This message has been deleted by Substitute.

Substitute

Old 06-01-2017, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I can tell you this after working in the juvenile hall, that 80% of detainees are male, and THEY prefer a female teacher even if it's an old lady.

The female inmates, I'm not sure what they prefer.
I was always placed with the male population, and I saw, first-hand, how these juvenile delinquents "harass" young female workers in the jail system.

It's no wonder that a guard or two sits in the classroom with the female teacher and students, and if not in the room, they are RIGHT OUTSIDE the window so as to see inside.

It takes a certain person to work there. I think older women work it better than younger women. If I were the principal, I would INTENTIONALLY select older teachers, male & female.

I didn't necessarily enjoy it. There are lots of things to consider, like the fact that those boys have been locked-up for a long time, and at the drop of a hat, BIG EXPLOSIONS can take place before you blink twice!

It saddened me, but I'm glad to have had the experience, and it also made me thankful that my children had never been in trouble when they were teens.
Substitute is offline   Reply With Quote