Help

Substitute Teachers

Condom on the floor

>

Sirsubalot

Condom on the floor
Old 05-16-2017, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I guess i will never see everything after all these year, but I did't anticipate this one.

As is usually the case at this high school, I had to work during my prep period.

I was in for 2nd period, and the 1st period sub messed me up so the kids got a late start on their scantron math test for 9th grade.

I noticed that some test booklets were empty, and some had scantrons in them

i passed out the scantrons, and then the test booklets only to discover that I had run out of test booklets.

I wondered what the ...!

I then realized that the same test booklets were to be used each period and that the 1st period sub was supposed to take the scantrons out of the booklets. i ended up passing out some booklets with used scantrons tucked inside.

I collected all the booklets, removed the scantrons, and redistributed the books. I then took attendance. I felt bad this wasted about five minutes of valuable test time for the students

This was aggravating enough, but then I noticed some commotion and laughter among five boys. I then found a condom on the floor next to one of them.

This was quite a shock, but i tried to downplay it and told them to just kick it to the side I don't worry about it.

They settled down somewhat, but due to some continued giggles and conversation, I grabbed one of the boy's test materials and told him to go the the back of the room.

This was the boy closest to the condom. It was almost under his chair.

He resisted and would not let me have his papers. He then reluctantly got up when I threatened to report him.

On three occasions. he tried to spy on what i was writing to the teacher, and actually took the paper off my desk to read and only gave it back when I threatened a referral. He was not loud or obnoxious, but was insubordinate.

When the bell rang, another one of the giggling students confessed to dropping the condom.

I noticed both had previous referrals that I saw in the teachers notebook, and the nosy one had his parents contacted before.

i reported the incident to an office secretary, but although she asked about the class and teacher, she did not seem overly aghast.

I was almost as frustrated with the other sub as I was the students, since I had to waste my time pulling scantrons out of booklets while trying to monitor the students.

What would you have done?

Last edited by Sirsubalot; 05-16-2017 at 04:53 PM..
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

What I did
Old 05-16-2017, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not on the floor, but in my Boxtops for Education can..... 8th grade, lots of giggles. I was pretty sure of the culprit, so didn't give him (or the others) the chance to make a big deal. Got a tissue, picked it up, threw it in the garbage, and went on with the lesson. After class, asked the boy to stay behind. He admitted to doing it. So I told him if it happened again, parents would come in to explain to me how their 8th grade son was obtaining condoms. He turned bright red, and I never had a problem again. Of course, there was the time there was an open condom in the hallway.... And one in the cafeteria..... I think it's an adolescent boy's way of showing off. The girls were grossed out, so that's a good thing.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 05-17-2017, 01:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Something similar to what mrsd5 did... it's "no big deal." Often times the kids are testing us to see how we manage a situation. Unless there's a rule against having condoms at school I'd simply get rid of it. I might add something like "If the original owner would like it back, see me after class."

(I assume it was still in its original package.)

In addition to testing us, a lot of behavior is peer-driven--they are showing off for peers. I think we have to be careful not to raise the stakes and, in many cases, let them save face. I've occasionally complimented a kid's smart comment when it gets a laugh.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Cetti

Old 05-17-2017, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think you handled it brilliantly by minimizing the distraction. Some immature teenage boys!
Also, not cool the 1st period Sub left you scrambling, but maybe they were a call in on their prep too so had to get to next class?
Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

doorman

Teach
Old 05-17-2017, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would have made a teaching moment out of this situation. Ok class ,write a 1 page summary on the Trojan war or on ancient Egypt with Ramses the pharoh as the subject.

doorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 05-17-2017, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I taught 8th Grade full time, a boy brought in filled a condom with water and was rubbing it against girls and smacking them with it. When I tried to confiscate it, the boys started throwing it around. I found some more unused ones in his bag and security came and confiscated them.
I encourage their use - just not in the classroom.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 05-17-2017, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The condom was actually loose on the floor.

it would have been less shocking had it still been wrapped.

I would have loved to make a teaching moment out of this, but the students had to take a scantron Math test, and I already wasted about five -10 minutes of their time.

All the sub had to do was collect the scantrons and the test books separately and put them in different piles.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Downplay
Old 05-18-2017, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The kids were looking for a reaction from anyone. I might have said, "Glad to know someone is protected." Used a tissue or paper, picked it up and tossed it.

I would be more upset with the previous sub as they should have made sure everything was taken care of for the next person.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 05-31-2017, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I had a moment of hilarity with some 5th grade boys who I've subbed for since 4th grade. they had recently seen the sex ed video and were still taking about it, when a boy produced what had been the finger of a latex glove. the boys went silent, but it was obvious that the little squad of curious boys had sacrificed a few latex gloves to make 5th grader-sized condoms...

so what do you do with those...?

I wish I had a better command of the english language so I could describe the looks on their faces, and the quick thinking excuses and uses for glove fingers...
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote
drbusybody

drbusybody

Old 09-25-2017, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was once subbing kindergarten and one girl told another she found a condom on her patio. The second girl said, "What's a patio?"