Vent...just because I'm crabby and ready for this year to be over! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Vent...just because I'm crabby and ready for this year to be over!

>

Subinnc

Vent...just because I'm crabby and ready for this year to be over!
Old 05-20-2017, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This really doesn't happen to me very often, so I probably shouldn't complain, but I'm complaining anyway.

The secretary called my classroom yesterday morning to let me know that during my planning, I needed to go cover a 7th grade class for about a half an hour because the sub in that room needed to run an errand. I understand that this happens, but...

I'm doing a long term. Monday starts our all-important end-of-grade state testing which will be taken on chromebooks for the first time this year. Our grade level was meeting about last minute details. I still needed to take down or cover up or hide all the posters, word wall words, anything with writing on it... I needed to put my desks back in rows and make name tags for each desk so that the kids will be in alphabetical order. Since the custodian on our hall is on vacation, I needed to sweep the room so that AFTER SCHOOL when I set up the computers and chargers and extension cords, there wouldn't be crap all over the floor. I had STUFF to do.

I told the office lady this and her response was, "Oh, it's only for a half an hour. Maybe you could make your name tags during that time?" Excuse me? Maybe YOU could go cover the class. Or maybe tell the sub she can't leave...heck, I didn't even know it was an option to run errands during the school day!

I'm just so done with this school year. Maybe with subbing completely.

Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 05-20-2017, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know what you mean. Unfortunately, that's what comes with being a sub...you're at the bottom of the pecking order. A lot of it is that the office staff is just trying to make sure everything is covered, and subs are simply viewed as a resource.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 05-20-2017 at 09:03 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 05-20-2017, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I feel your pain, but what really got my attention was that you were asked to cover for a SUB who " needed to run an errand" during instruction time. Like you, I didn't know that was allowed.

In my district, teachers may only leave campus during their prep period or lunch. Subs can likely do the same, though I've never needed to do that, so I haven't asked.

What in the world was so urgent the sub couldn't wait? Oh well. As we all know, some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue. Sorry you had to be the statue yesterday.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 05-20-2017, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Don't skip using the restroom. If I get sent to another teacher's room during a prep period and I need to use the restroom I will and they can wait. They don't have to know you stopped and if they do, tough luck.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 05-21-2017, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sublime, you said it exactly right.

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 05-21-2017, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would never be allowed to "run an errand" and expect that someone would cover for me. Once I had a half day and they needed me for the afternoon. I didn't have a lunch so I called a local pizza shop for delivery. I was told not to do that again (it was the same pizza shop the regular teachers order from). So I made a mental note to not accept any more 1/2 day assignments at that school.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote
luv2teach2017
Old 05-21-2017, 10:24 AM
This message has been deleted by luv2teach2017. Reason: off topic

Bandnstrings

pdd
Old 05-21-2017, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Covering because of being short subs is one thing. Covering so somebody could run an errand strikes me as weird.
Bandnstrings is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 05-21-2017, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In one of my schools, subs will often work their prep periods so that a regular teacher can run errands.
We do if for free. Contracted teachers get paid, so of course we are the first choice.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Old 05-21-2017, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It really wouldn't have been a big deal if I was just subbing in a class for a day or two. My issue was that I actually had stuff to get done and a grade level meeting that I missed half of. Don't just assume that because I'm a sub, I have nothing to do. I'm functioning as a full time teacher until the end of the year, responsibilities and all, including testing tomorrow. Leave my planning period alone!!

As far as the sub running an errand, I don't understand that. I suppose it's none of my business, but why could she not have waited until HER own planning to do it?

Whatever. 9 1/2 days left.

linda2671

That's not fair.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't blame you for being upset about that. I'm a regular teacher, and I get upset because they always have fire drills during my plan time, and always on my busiest days. I know a fire drill only takes about 10 minutes, but it's ten minutes I need. I think subs need their plan time just as much as regular teachers because they need that time to look over whatever they have coming up. If I were the teacher you were subbing for, I would go to the office and complain because they took you away from preparing for her class.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

I don't blame you at all...
Old 05-21-2017, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am doing a long term also. On Friday afternoon I had to use some technology I'm not really familiar with, so my plan was to use my 30 minute morning prep. I no sooner get back to the classroom and I get called to cover for an aid who needs to use the bathroom, really? She was gone for 15 minutes! So I got to spend my lunch making sure I could work the tech.

This is the last week of state testing, and a boat load of other stuff that needs to be completed for report cards. I am tired and the week hasn't even started yet.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Tapdancesub
Old 05-22-2017, 12:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I feel your exhaustion...and I haven't even begun to think about report cards yet. I'm just trying to get through testing which begins today and won't be over until next Tuesday! Ugh.