Help

Substitute Teachers

Food in Teacher's Lounge

>

Cetti

Food in Teacher's Lounge
Old 05-23-2017, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today they had a Mexican Fiesta in the Teacher's Lounge. I was going in to refill my water bottle (we recently got filter machines in the Lounges, yay, no more gross water from fountain) so I didn't really expect it. It was thrown by the PTO. A teacher friend encouraged me to help myself, so I did and it was a nice treat! I have to admit, I felt a little awkward, and ended up taking my plate up to the classroom it eat it. Any thoughts on this?

Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 05-23-2017, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No reason to feel awkward. I'm glad one of the other teachers encouraged you to partake in the fiesta. Subs are counted in on these things, at least at the schools I sub for.

Last edited by mooba1; 05-23-2017 at 02:24 PM..
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 05-23-2017, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If another teacher invites you, go for it! I have been "officially" invited only once (by the office staff). It made me feel welcome. As a matter of etiquette, I don't join in unless someone invites me (I'm kind of old fashioned that way).
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

coolcat16

If invited, join in
Old 05-23-2017, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

During teacher appreciation week I was invited to share in the free food that was prepared for the teachers. Subs are teachers too! Though I wouldn't have felt right eating if I had not been asked to first.
coolcat16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

that's okay
Old 05-23-2017, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No need to feel awkward. Even some regular teachers do this. Why do you feel self-conscious? If you were invited to dig in, just help yourself. If no one had invited then I would feel that awkward.

Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 05-23-2017, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

No one invites me. I just dig in and do not feel awkward.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 05-23-2017, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The only times I haven't participated were when it was all doughnuts and cookies (too sweet for me) or there was a sign that said specifically, "For those who contributed to....". After so many years I feel ok taking a sampling of food. Remember, we take care of those children too. One year a parent nearby the school put on a feast for the teachers at her house during lunch and a staff member invited me. The next year I was not personally invited and would not have felt comfortable walking into a stranger's house so I did not go.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Old 05-24-2017, 12:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

At my regular school, if there's food in the 6th grade workroom but I'm in 8th grade for the day, I'm still eating the 6th grade's food On the opposite end of that spectrum, I'm at a different school right now doing a long term, and I would definitely wait for an invite. Last week PTO provided lunch and it was set up in a 7th grade classroom. I didn't go...I'm not even sure I can explain why I didn't go, I've been there for a month and I'm finishing out the year, but something didn't feel right. I'm sure I looked and antisocial, though.
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ohsub

Ohsub

Free food
Old 05-24-2017, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I never eat any free food, whether donuts or kids cupcakes. I did once pay for a Mexican fiesta held in lounge - donate $2.00 and ended up with food poisoning! So I do have a reason. But the main reason is when it's 'not for me'. Once I subbed for a teacher who had two free periods and I had to spend the time in lounge, it was teacher apprecition week and they had a party sub on the table. I watched teacher after teacher take parts and stash them away in fridge. As the sub whittled away a teacher came in and in a very accusing manner said to me - "Who's eating all this sub!". She took her part after I told her about the fridge. But I was definitely under notice that this wasn't for me. Conversely I have had the principal bring a plate of eggs etc for me (she assumed I didn't know I was allowed) I was so happy she thought about me!

spedder1

My old school
Old 05-24-2017, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Subs are always welcome to take food from the staff room at my old school. There is food almost every Friday. If subs didn't come to the staff room, someone always invited them to not only get a plate, but to sit down at the table. When I subbed at a different school last year as a long term sub, they rarely had food. When they did, I was welcomed and reminded to get a plate.
Kathy

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cayo

Old 05-24-2017, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I've never been invited, though I don't think anyone would say anything if I helped myself. I live just a few minutes away from the schools where I sub, and I generally go home at lunchtime. I never feel entirely comfortable in the teachers' lounge anyway. The regular staff tends to be a little standoffish.

Last edited by Cayo; 05-24-2017 at 05:17 PM..
Cayo is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachforAll

Old 05-24-2017, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

In my experience, some schools' culture is always inviting while others forget your there. I usually eat if invited, but I don't if not invited. I don't like the awkward feeling of crashing a party or feeling alone with groups of people. I usually wait to eat at home because my eating experience is greatly improved by eating with people I have a strong bond with in my life. I am starting to eat in the lounge more, but it can be awkward at times with teachers wanting to talk about in house stuff (whispering and I understand), especially when sitting alone.
TeachforAll is offline   Reply With Quote

AZsub

free food
Old 05-28-2017, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have been in same high schools for 15 years, so some depts i feel a part of. You are right, some depts make you feel welcome and some don't so I take my cue from them.

I also bring goodies to share with them once in a while. That way, they do not feel like you are a moocher. That is how I deal with the situation.
AZsub is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 05-29-2017, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I sub high school. I never sit in there with them. I feel it is their space. It works better for me that way. On school once started acting as though they didn't like me in there and I got the message. So my new school I just go get ice. Or something from the fridge. No sitting. I'm ok with it.
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbielibro

It is my duty to eat the food for the person
Old 06-06-2017, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Personally, it is my duty to help eat the food for the person I am subbing for. And were I out and in need of a sub, I would like them to eat my share!
Newbielibro is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 06-08-2017, 02:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I would never question a sub getting food from the teacher's lounge! Go for it! We have a really inviting atmosphere at my school though. Aide's, TAs, subs, everybody is welcome to participate unless it's something teachers had to financially contribute to.
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

Substitute

Old 06-09-2017, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Be careful of that Mexican food! I shall never forget last year the school mothers gave an appreciation luncheon for the teachers, and I was invited. I got a little of everything: beans, rice, chicken; it looked good, and smelled and tasted DELICIOUS! But before I got home, less than ONE HOUR LATER,my stomach began to cramp, and I had to dash to an EMERGENCY stop in the subway station bathroom, where EVERYTHING in my intestines came gushing out! I was HORRIFIED!

I'm use to Mexican food, I eat it regularly, I'm from southern California, I cook it sometimes. I know I wasn't poisoned because we all ate from the same pot, including the cooks.

To this day, I don't know what happened. In a day or so I was fine. It could have been bacteria laden, since the food had been out in the open air for a while, or maybe my system wasn't use to the degree of spices that were used, I don't know. Of course, I was only there for that day. I believe it was the last day of school. And no, I didn't go to the doctor.

Aside from that, my experiences with food in the teacher's lounge has been safe, but I do think twice now about eating anything that has been sitting out in the open for hours.

Substitute is offline   Reply With Quote