Help

Substitute Teachers

Very surprised!

>

CC96

Very surprised!
Old 06-21-2017, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Three of the districts I work in are still in school through Thursday and Friday of this week and I am so surprised that jobs are becoming available for the last two days of school. I cannot believe teachers plan in advance to take those days off. I get why, the kids are crazy and grades are due, but really, you're leaving your kids the last day of school??? I'm not taking jobs because I've got a lot going on personally in my life and it's a good thing I had decided to make last week my last for this year. I'm just really surprised at the good supply of jobs coming up.

CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 06-21-2017, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wonder if teachers are needing substitutes to attend things at their child's school, watch a child graduate, pick an older child up from college, etc.? The end of the year is a very crazy time for many people and there could be reasons that are rather unavoidable and super common that mean people miss. I could also see last minute teacher trainings, IEP meetings, etc.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 06-21-2017, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

we got out a month ago, but I subbed for a teacher on the last day seniors were in school, I had several sad students asking where their teacher was, as they had just gotten yearbooks and they wanted to get her to sign. I felt bad, who ditches kiddos on their very last day of school?

I'm sure they are over it by now...
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

take them
Old 06-22-2017, 12:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Will someone please pick up! I'm not one to take off without good reason. There are only 2 possible reason why I would book for a supply and it's because I'm real sick or it's due to meeting regardless of the time of the year. I do understand why no one would take an assignment on especially by the year's end. Even if the kid's are crazy... Believe me a supply teacher's wilingness and dedication are ever so important. I am you too. Pick one because it might open a door to an opportunity. Thank you for your dedication and willingness.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 06-22-2017, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have had to take off in the last few days of school for these reasons:
1. My own child's awards ceremony
2. My own child's elementary graduation

Pretty much all the teachers I know with school-age kids have had to take off for those reasons.

Do not judge teachers who take those days off. I told my students I wouldn't be there on the last day and why. I said my goodbyes to them ahead of time. The entire year of school I only missed 1 other day.

tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 06-22-2017, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

So many reasons teachers miss the last day. I have subbed the last day many times. Usually the class has had their year end party the day the day prior with their teacher, so it's no big deal.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

😊
Old 06-22-2017, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

All of the above reasons make sense-- not judging, just surprised at the number that I've come up. Have a good summer everyone.
CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

Good Reason
Old 06-22-2017, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had our eldest son graduate high school with the ceremony at 2:00 in the afternoon. I was not happy about having to take a half day on the last day with my students, but family comes first. My P at the time sent an email to our superintendent stating how unhappy I was about this very inconvenient timing of graduation and what an inappropriate time as most parents work.
Crazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Days out
Old 06-23-2017, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm sure most of the absent teachers have legitimate reasons. Maybe they have family in from out of town for their own child's graduation (this happened to me multiple times). Maybe they booked a vacation over 6 months ago and then had multiple snow days to make up. Maybe they are just taking their personal days for appointments. Or, maybe they are taking the time off because the kids are crazy and grades are due . Regardless, I don't think the majority of the teachers are leaving their kids on the last days of school on purpose. Maybe there is a lot going on in the teacher's personal life that they have to get taken care of.

Hopefully someone will pick up those jobs.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-27-2017, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We have teachers who needed to be off to attend things for their own children. One of my coworkers had a mission trip planned. One year we had a retiree who was off the last week of school because his retirement was effective June 1, and we worked the first week of June. Babies arrived. Surgeries were scheduled. Workshops. Conferences. One year we missed 28 snow days. Who plans for that?

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

binkbonk

Old 06-27-2017, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I missed the last days of school one year when my father passed away.
binkbonk is offline   Reply With Quote

cali11

Many reasons
Old 07-20-2017, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I scheduled my wedding day on May 26th, 2018 before I got my teaching job. I found out that our last day of school is on the 31st. We are planning to go to Greece for our honeymoon immediately after, so I will have to find a sub for those days. I hate to do this, but I would rather be in Greece
cali11 is offline   Reply With Quote