Help

Substitute Teachers

Back to school anxiety

>

elepen

Back to school anxiety
Old 08-01-2017, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been retired about 3 years and have subbed off and on.
I moved so I'll be subbing in a new district.
Not a new district to me. Almost 10 years ago I was nonrenewed at one of the schools. I found a job in another district and then retired. We moved to another state and I got a teaching job for several years and then retired from teaching.
I've had success subbing in all the other districts and started being requested.
School starts next week and I have back to school anxiety.
Do you think it's because it's this district or do some of you get this back to school anxiety
Because you're subbing?
Need a pep talk thanks

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

mkesub

It'll be fine!
Old 08-01-2017, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I get that anxiety feeling too. Most recently I got it when starting my summer job. Even though it's a job I've done every summer for 4 years now, it's still a bit nerve-wracking to go back to something you haven't done for a while. Now I'm all comfortable with that job, and have to switch gears again to start subbing again.

But... a few days into the job and it'll be just fine. You'll be comfortable again and back in the swing of things! Just remember to take it one day at a time. Good thing about subbing is that you generally get time after you get there before the kiddos show up so that you can prepare. The bad thing about that is it gives you time to get nervous!

Remember, kids are kids. They want to like you, and want you to like them. Smile, ask them questions, get a rapport going, explain what will be happening during the day, follow the plans, deal with problems if they come up.... Before you know it, you'll be heading home!
mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Anxiety
Old 08-01-2017, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Honestly subbing in general makes me anxious. I was in my own classroom for 20 years at a wonderful private school and always knew what the expectations were, however, when you sub you walk into a new situation every day. I get anxious as to whether the kids are going to behave, whether I'll have time to use the restroom between classes and what the lesson is going to be. I've noticed in the couple of years I've been subbing that my mood and stomach issues have just gotten worse, I am sure it is the stress of lacking control of unknown situations. Like most people I need to work so for now I sub every day, however in a few years when my SS kicks in, I will be very select about assignments and do 2-3 days a week.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 08-01-2017, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You are not alone. But I'm usually only anxious the morning of subbing. Wondering if I took the right job, whether the classes will be good. Sometimes I won't be able to locate the plans, and I'll panic. Then I calm myself down and go next door or call the office. If they can't help, as was the case twice this past year, I'll pull out my own plans and hope for the best. Once I get into the flow of classes I'm fine. And somedays everything goes well. I get to teach, the classes are good, and no one gets hurt.
Long-term jobs I stress a lot more because the school day never seems to end. There are plans to do, class materials to organize, parents to call, paperwork to complete, etc.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 08-01-2017, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Restroom availability, or lack thereof, has long been my single greatest source of stress at some schools.

The women have it easier.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 08-01-2017, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Always a bit of anxiety at the start of the school year. Im kinda getting tired of it, but I have a few more years of kids in college and SS hasn't kicked in yet, so I just keep plugging away.
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 08-01-2017, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for all your comments

mkesub

Was that first grade really a fourth?
Old 08-02-2017, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There is definitely always a bit of anxiety. Every time I read the description line on here that says "Was that first grade really a fourth?" I feel some nervousness.

I'm cool with 4th grade, but not if I'm mentally prepared for 1st!
mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 08-02-2017, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Tapdancesub

I'm on SS and do subbing as a supplement only 2-3 days a week. It does help with extras
I get tired of it too and would like to find something else to supplement but what else is so flexible. Being a retired teacher helps it's like riding a bike.
I wish it paid more $90 a day.
One district paid $135 a day
I just wish I didn't get that anxiety

mooba1

Old 08-02-2017, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Seems like we all have some degree of anxiety. The nervousness is always there, but as soon as the kids come in and I'm "on", it goes away. You'll have a great year, too.

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote