Help

Substitute Teachers

Just accepted a 3 week job

>

mrsd5

Just accepted a 3 week job
Old 08-02-2017, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Actually 2 1/2 weeks, so no extra pay. The p.e. teacher is extending her maternity leave. I love subbing for her, but this is going to be a challenge, what with handing out gym suits, learning ALL those names, etc. I will know most of the 7th and 8th graders, but very few of the 6th graders' names. I'm only doing it because it will put me over the top with paying off my car a year early. I may take a trip to the Dells afterwards to celebrate. What HAVE I done?

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

long term
Old 08-02-2017, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Save some of that money for Florida! I'll be done on the 29th unless they hire a permanent teacher for the position. Even if they hire someone after two weeks, that only gives me 19 days left I can sub the entire year.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mkesub

Best of luck to you!
Old 08-02-2017, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The best thing about teaching p.e. is that the kids generally love it. I find that makes management easier, since you can just say they'll have to sit out if they don't follow the rules. Or if the class as a whole won't quiet down to listen to directions you can do the thing where you wait and tell them they're wasting their p.e. time. Also, you only have each group of kids for an hour (or whatever it is), and often you can do the same plans for different classes. And.. you get to wear casual, exercise kind of clothes. And it can be a bit of a work out. (Not always a good thing... )

Quote:
I may take a trip to the Dells afterwards to celebrate.
Hmm.. a fellow Wisconsinite???
mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

mkesub
Old 08-02-2017, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No, Northern Illinois. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive. I've subbed for the teacher many times. The first week will be all about fitness testing, handing out p.e. suits, learning locker combinations, etc. After that, who knows? I'm going in and planning with the teacher on the 15th.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Old 08-04-2017, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Congrats on the extra pay and landing a job for a teacher you enjoy working with! Sounds like most of the kids already know and love you so you are golden!

mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sarahsea1

Old 08-07-2017, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am brand new to subbing and teaching for that matter. I saw a PE job on my county site, and thought that might be a good first attempt at subbing. What would you think.
Sarahsea1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mkesub

PE pros/cons
Old 08-08-2017, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sarahsea,

PE can be a good way to start subbing but it has its challenges. The good things are that students tend to love it, so they want to participate, and that you only have each group of kids for a short time.

The biggest challenge is that control of the class becomes way harder when they are running around in a large area and when you don't really know their names. Also, accidents are more likely than in a classroom situation. (If someone gets hurt, I just send them to the office, usually with another student.)

Most PE teachers will have some way that the kids sit to hear directions, and some sort of class starting procedures. If so, I will use what the teacher has. Otherwise I will have them walk around the gym 2 times, then come sit 'on their number' if they have one or somewhere in a certain area otherwise. Then I will take attendance and do some stretching exercises. Then I will explain the game or activity or whatever the teacher has left, and give some basic rules. Sometimes if there is no activity I will divide the gym into areas and put different equipment out, then divide them into groups and have them rotate through the areas. So.. say one group does basketball, one does hula hoops or jump ropes etc... and they get about 10 minutes in each area. Or I might have students do relay races.

A whistle can be good, or practice a signal to freeze when they need to transition to something else, or if you need to review rules. Also give at least 5 minutes at the end of class to line up and to have drinks of water.

PE classes are some of my favorite subbing days! And you get to dress very casually!
mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote