Help

Substitute Teachers

take me off your list

>

dietcoke99

take me off your list
Old 11-04-2018, 10:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I hate to post again because I have posted a lot today (I've been on the computer all day finding plagiarizers to a poem I wrote and this has been a good distraction), but I just had an idea that I wanted to run by you guys...

I am thinking of writing at the bottom of the note that I write "I hope that you like the job I did today for you. If not, please take me off of your sub list."

I really think that there may have been teachers that are not happy with me, and I don't want to work where I'm not wanted. Of course, if we could see our feedback, I wouldn't have to do this. They can get a sub that they like 100%, instead of me. I don't want to be the sub, like the poster talked about earlier, where the teacher says "oh, I have THAT sub." I want to go where I am appreciated and there is a good fit between the teacher and myself. I am not desperate for jobs and I may get another offer from a teacher that appreciates me, if I know.

For example, I taught for 10 years and sometimes take the liberty of adjusting the lesson plans to what I think is better. Some teachers will appreciate this, but some want subs to follow the lesson plan 100%, no matter what, all the time. I want teachers that appreciate my experience.

What do you think of my idea of writing at the bottom of my note "if not, please take me off of your sub list."

dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I'm thinking
Old 11-04-2018, 11:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

that asking to be removed from a sub list might have some unexpected consequences. First, the teacher may ask you to be removed from the SCHOOL'S sub list--getting you banned from the school. This can reflect badly on a sub as well as denying you access to other teachers at that school.

It may also be that the district or school has not set up a way for teachers to have individual sub lists from which you can be removed.

Some do have preferred sub lists mostly for the school and individual teachers have subs they call and enter for jobs themselves or have the secretary enter.

Perhaps, you can have your own list of teachers in whose rooms you do not feel comfortable and not accept jobs from those people when listed. I have a few teachers who have been off-putting to me if we happen to meet in person on my "Never, Never" list.

Asking for an unsatisfactory review can lead to problems you may not be anticipating.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

too extreme
Old 11-05-2018, 01:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

"...want to go where I am appreciated and there is a good fit between the teacher and myself. I am not desperate for jobs..."

Wait, you want to be taken off some list just because you didn't get good feedback? I think I understand how being a good fit means a lot. Just like yourself, there are subs I know who aren't that "desperate" for job either.

If you want an honest feedback, you could tell them to fill out a form online, if they have a moment, like through survey monkey (or is that monkey survey?) so you can find out. The only reason why most teachers don't provide feedback for their guests is because number one, they're too busy. It's common knowledge that if you don't hear from anyone then you're good. Like they say, no news means good.

But to ask them to take you off some list? I think it's a little too dramatic because what you want is to have greater latitude. No one's gonna stop you anyways if you put that at the end of your note. Pretty bold move though.

subasaurus

Nah, don't worry.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success." -Malcolm X

Or as they say in NYC, "fuhged about it."

Do what I do - Go where you feel appreciated/respected.

In my note I just leave the basics:

Student xyz needed help
Student xyz was unfortunately sent to the office (teachers tend to not like that one, lol)
Assignment xyz was completed
Assignment xyz wasn't working on the laptop
Etc..

Always keep your note professional and avoid negativity, no matter how frustrating the day was.

If they have a problem with me I don't even care any more honestly. Wastes my time worrying if they "like" me or not. I don't go where I'm not wanted.

"Feedback" from the school is actually useless when you think about it. I mean, all I do is give them their assignments, help them when I can, and make sure everyone is safe and appropriate. A rating won't motivate me to do my job "better." What motivates me is knowing I've made a student feel better about themselves, not some superficial rating.

So with your gut instinct. If you feel unappreciated vote with your feet and take your business elsewhere.

Also remember we're judged heavily as outsiders. There will always be "haters" on occasion, even if we felt did a good job for the day.

Stay professional, even when the school isn't acting it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by subasaurus; 11-05-2018 at 05:55 AM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 11-05-2018, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sorry, but to me it sounds a bit arrogant...

My standard sign off includes "if you have any concerns, questions for suggestions, please let me know."

I get a reply about 50% of the time, usually a "thank you" or "sounds like a pretty normal day in our classroom." The other 50% I figure "no news is good news."

We perform in a classroom but we work for the district.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 11-05-2018, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

End of Day Note:

Whether we completed everything on the plan, and if I noticed any particular student struggling.

General behavior, unless there was something major.

“If you have any questions or concerns please contact me at ..”

In 10 years I have been comtacted 1 time.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 11-05-2018, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

No way. It's so harsh!

I always end my note with THANK YOU! (whether is was a good day or not) and then my name and my district-provided email.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 11-05-2018, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would simply write, "I hope you like the job I did for you today, and I'd love to sub for you again", and then leave your phone #.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-05-2018, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
For example, I taught for 10 years and sometimes take the liberty of adjusting the lesson plans to what I think is better.
Now, this is an issue. Whether you have been teaching one year or thirty years, when you are hired to fill in for someone, you do what they need done. I would be seriously put out if I returned to my classroom ready to begin a new task, and I discovered the original work I’d left the day prior wasn’t completed as instructed.

I’d not need a note telling me to remove you from the list if I was not satisfied.

Last edited by Ima Teacher; 11-05-2018 at 09:46 PM..
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

That's my point
Old 11-05-2018, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

That's exactly my point. I want teachers who appreciate that I can think. Not all of them are cookie cutter (or "sticklers"), though some, obviously, are. I guess when I get requested again (or become friends with them) I know that this is the kind of teacher they are and *I* want. It might be hard for some to believe it, but there are teachers like this.

I'm talking about little things. The teacher can't think of EVERY LITTLE THING and probably (if not anal) appreciates it.

An example: I make my own papers that say "student name, date, time out, time in, where they are going." Not all teachers have this and I do it in case of a lockdown - I know who is missing if they wrote the time out, but no time "in." I then take it off and staple it to the notes. That is NOT spelled out in the lesson plan, but I do it, anyway, every time.

Another example: I make my own passes that say [my name,] sub for __________, to ________ time: _______ because I don't like to just let students go somewhere without a pass, so sometimes I need it. That is NOT in the lesson plan.

Other small things, also.

I have decided after reading your responses that the "remove from list" idea is probably not a good idea. I'm glad I asked you guys because I truly thought it was a good idea. I got the idea because a long time ago I put "if you are a salesman, please take me off of your call list" on my answering machine.

I learn a lot on this list - I appreciate it - Thank you to you all! It's good to muddle around in my head.

LostINRoom

LostINRoom

I get it
Old 11-06-2018, 02:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

"I'm talking about little things. The teacher can't think of EVERY LITTLE THING and probably (if not anal) appreciates it. An example: I make my own papers that say "student name, date, time out, time in, where they are going." Not all teachers have this and I do it in case of a lockdown - I know who is missing if they wrote the time out, but no time "in." I then take it off and staple it to the notes. That is NOT spelled out in the lesson plan, but I do it, anyway, every time."

So it's not like you're altering plans like if that plan says to have them read pages 38-99 of Matilda, you're not going to put on the movie with Matilda. It's the little things indeed. I kinda do that too especially when it comes to allowing them the freedom to use the restroom or access their locker. I have to admit, although I'm not good at remembering in general, I keep track of the coming's and going's inside the room. You'd be surprised to know that students still ask why we need to use a pass especially in junior high. It's like they've never used it before so I had to explain that it's for me to keep track especially for the reasons you listed. But I had stopped the out-in until there's a lot asking/requesting. All this is not altering the plan but now that you mentioned it, I wish more teachers would tell us basic procedures such as this so we don't have to hear "...but that's not the way our teacher does it!". Waste of time arguing.

YayaSub

Old 11-06-2018, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I follow the plans to the best of my ability. I will to say that sometimes I have misunderstood or maybe not allowed the right amount of time for each thing. I just explain and apologize about those in my note. The "changes" that you describe sound like reasonable steps to ensure safety, not the revamping of lesson plans, as it originally sounded. If a teacher had gone to the effort of writing detailed instructions of exactly what to do, it would not be appreciated at my schools to disregard that and do as I pleased instead.

You have gotten some excellent advice about the "take me off your list" idea. The tone that imparts is quite smug and sassy. It's a good idea that you ran it by this forum first.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

may be a bad idea at second thought
Old 11-06-2018, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Well, I have another example that I was afraid to state for fear of being reamed. I now think that it MAY have been too much of a change, but I'm on the fence at this point. This is probably the more drastic of the changes I have made. Some of it depends upon how clear/organized the notes are. In this example, though, the notes were clear.

The notes said, "Students write a short story about their best birthday."

I told this to the students and they started saying, "What about our WORST birthday? Then another student would say, "yea, our worst birthday." Another said, "I was diagnosed with cancer on my birthday" (it was skin cancer and it was true as I talked to her later about it - she knew the terminology).

They seemed more excited about writing about their worst birthday. I said, "o.k., either your best birthday OR your worst birthday."

I wrote this in the notes and I said, "I assume that the main idea is for them to write a short story and not so much the content. I hope that was O.K."

O.K., start the reaming... I have probably lessened the extremeness because of this list, though.

dietcoke99

I like that
Old 11-07-2018, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

<My standard sign off includes "if you have any concerns, questions for suggestions, please let me know." >

I like that. Pretty much says what I said, but more normal.

theapple

Do Yourself a Favor...
Old 11-07-2018, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Use the "If you have any questions, suggestions, etc., please contact me" line. That will be your best thing.

Also, unless you are left with extremely vague sub plans, do NOT "take the liberty of adjusting the plans to what you think is better." I, for one, do not care if you have over 30 years experience, National Board Certification, awards, accolades, whatever. If I leave plans for a sub, I expect the plans to be completed as directed unless there was a major problem (no lights, campus emergency) and will not tolerate any excuse as to why a sub decided to change my plans or not follow them at all. I am in SPED. I take the time to ensure that my plans include activities and instructions for a sub that will allow my students to function in their general education classroom with their accommodations. They also include self-guided or teacher guided (with detailed instruction) activities that meet their IEP goals and objectives. There are actually quite a few teachers that will leave detailed plans and instructions for a sub to complete the day's lessons so that the students will not fall behind. It is imperative to follow the plans that are left (unless they are extremely vague like the birthday one you described).
theapple is online now   Reply With Quote

Nijima

I carry a form letter with me
Old 12-01-2018, 11:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I write a report about the class (or classes) that I taught for that day.

It ends with, “If you have any questions, comments, criticisms, or suggestions, please contact me at...”

I would never change a teacher’s plan, whether I felt it needed to be changed or not. It’s not my place to do so.
Oftentimes, a teacher will write on a lesson plan for me to “alter or change it as I see fit.”
As I have permission, in those cases, I would consider it.

As far as trying to show a teacher, a site, or anybody else for that matter, about whether I have the ability to teach, my mind goes back to the day when I was hired. The first thing the substitute teacher clerk told me was, “You work at the discretion of the district.”

Harsh words?
Yes, but not a lie either.

The reason why I’m needed is because somebody who is supposed to be there is not there.

If I don’t do my job the way they want, they’ll get somebody else to do it. That’s their right and I have to accept that.

If assignments are so plentiful that a sub can be resricted by multitudes of teachers, then I would say it’s fine to say take me off your list.
Unfortunately, that’s not the experience in my district where I work.
Teachers move around a lot. I’ve worked in my district for some time. If I were to leave a “If you don’t like/respect me, take me off your list.” note, I would probably be viewed as arrogant and soon I wouldn’t be working.

If that works for you, then that’s all the better for you. I know I could never do it.
Nijima is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

Form letter sounds good
Old 12-02-2018, 10:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Can you tell us more about the form letter you carry? We've had quite a discussion on here about this type of thing. I think many of us might be interested, I know I am.