Help

Substitute Teachers

They didn't plan this one right.

>

subasaurus

They didn't plan this one right.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Got a call to cover a period of high schoolers that wasn't my jurisdiction during a free period of mine. No sub had shown up. I get these calls all time subbing. No biggie. I'm flexible.

Well, it kind of turned into a biggie.

After the period ended, these kids had a lab and stayed. But during their lab starts my first class of the day. So I had to leave them when the bell rang.

When the bell rang I told the students: "Hope you guys get another teacher in here for your lab... I have to go to my classroom of 6th graders now."

Hopefully another adult showed up for their lab.

That's what happens when subs don't show up or admin don't fully understand a situation. Luckily they were seniors and a small group, but still... Not great planning there. And I shouldn't have to deal with fixing their mistakes after already going above and beyond. I don't have time! I have another class to run to... The one I'm the actual sub for.

Had caf duty too later on... Ugh.

Anyway, another adventurous, confusing, kind of frustrating, anxiety- provoking, crammed day in the life of a sub.

Good thing I like this school, otherwise I might not go back. Don't like being jerked around and having to worry about extra complications. Enough on our plate as it is, now we have two separate classrooms to worry about?

Nice staff and kids here for the most part, so at least it's a school I feel welcomed at. I always appreciate that. I always try to be polite as possible, and appreciate when the favor is returned.

That goes for students and staff.

But some days I just want an actual smooth day with no drama or danger. You feel me?

That's all we really want as subs, isn't it?

A day that isn't pure chaos and worry of being banned from a building simply for being confused by others' confusing actions.

Again, I like this school. Just wish people didn't confuse me all the time due to their scatterbrains. Makes me anxious, like I'm going to get in trouble.

Last edited by subasaurus; 12-03-2018 at 10:33 PM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 12-03-2018, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I never leave kids alone in a room, no matter what age. I would have moved them outside the classroom and locked the door. If I didn't have a key I would have called the office and told them the students were waiting outside or asked if I should stay there or go to the assigned class.

I feel you. I had 4 good days of work last week after some not so good ones and it felt great!
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 12-03-2018, 09:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yeah, the problem was I would have left my next class alone too if I didn't leave when the bell rang.

It was a "lose lose" situation. Do I leave the lab seniors alone, or the 12 year olds? Lol. Liability either way. Schools are talented at creating these messes I've noticed, lol. There is no winning sometimes.

Admin scatterbrained planning, combined with subs or teachers cancelling at the last minute, can cause a heap of problems.

I do hope they sent a teacher to the lab. Honestly though, my biggest concern was doing the job I actually signed up for. I'm sure there were no issues. Staff are pretty laid back. (Obviously a bit too much at times.)

This kind of unnecessary turbulent chaos bothers me most when it's at a school I actually like to teach at. Sigh.

Last edited by subasaurus; 12-03-2018 at 10:19 PM..

c6g

Old 12-03-2018, 10:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, it is a "lose lose" situation.

I faced something similar in a middle school a couple years ago, but decided to wait until another teacher showed up (it took a while). While waiting, students from the room where I was supposed to be came to tell me I was needed there. It wasn't my problem if they were stuck waiting in the hall outside a locked room. There was no way I was going to leave the class where I was unsupervised.

I don't go to that school much anymore. It used to be a nice place, but administration is slowly allowing the students to take over, and that never ends well. Big surprise--they're now having trouble finding subs.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 12-03-2018, 10:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"administration is slowly allowing the students to take over, and that never ends well."

You hit the nail on the head there. Once they let the kids rule the building, they should expect chaos, and a lot less subs willing to deal with it.

Fractured

Old 12-03-2018, 10:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yeah I hate days like that. They also tell you to that you can't let the kids out a minute early to make it to the next class. And then if the school is big you dont usually make it in time.I never leave kids in a room alone though. Sometimes they would come in to the room during lunch break because they eat there and they get all pissed when I kick them out. I tell them they can't be alone because if they get hurt or something I get in trouble. They think we don't need to piss and eat lunch.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 12-03-2018, 11:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yep, days like that are full days. You get all kinds of drama thrown your way and no bathroom break.

And I technically didn't have a choice in my situation. Either leave the high school lab kids alone, or leave my actual students (6th grade) alone. It was the admin not understanding there was a lab period that was extended past the bell.

I never would have "left students alone" if they hadn't made me cover a classroom with a lab period extended.

I had to teach my own students too when the bell rang, or I wouldn't have been "the sub" for my own classroom that day, lol.

Would have been a lot kids saying "Hey, where's our teacher?"

MaineSub

Not right, but best?
Old 12-04-2018, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sometimes there's no "right" decision... just a "best" one. I tend to agree with those who've said they would not leave students alone but...

I was walking down the hall one day and a fifth grader saw me... she hopped from her classroom into the hall and said, "Mr. B, we don't have a teacher." Fortunately, I was in the middle of a planning period so I went in... the kids were working independently, all seemed to be on task, just a bit worried. I called the office, informed them of the situation, and said I would stay until an adult showed up. It worked out well... and I later discovered that (you have to love this one) the sub who was coming in to replace the original sub was late... and the original sub told the kids she couldn't stay so they should just keep working until somebody showed up! Interesting that a fifth grader figured out this wasn't the "right" thing and two subs didn't.

It was just one of those crazy days. Too many teachers out, not enough subs... Certainly not a typical day but also the sort of day that's going to require some "best" decisions because you simply can't always be right. (If I'd been obligated somewhere else, I'd have probably asked a neighboring teacher to keep an eye on the kids until the office responded.)
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Yeah....
Old 12-04-2018, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would have buzzed the office to let them know. Then told a neighboring teacher just to cover the bases.

You’re covering for someone else, but you’ll still be at fault if something happens.
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote
Lenoral

Lenoral

Only Once a Week
Old 12-21-2018, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I sub only once a week. I don't like the uncertainty of subbing. I like to plan for my day. I have a regular teaching gig for the other four days. I really dislike being tossed around as a sub. It's easy to be blamed and accused of doing something wrong.I have some flexibility in my personality, but I have limits. I want to compliment, thank, and praise the people who have this flexibility in their DNA. I don't know how you do it.